free hit
counters
Kidd in a Sweet Shop - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Kidd in a Sweet Shop

A revealing video with Zak Brown. I get the impression he is the wrong man for the job, and got there thanks to his mate. It may explain some of McLarens mixed fortunes on and off track?

Hint - He's clueless

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Certainly difficult times for McLaren but the F1 team are making progress. It was at rock-bottom when Ron was ousted. Not many F1 teams have won world championships in 4 different decades and survived to try for more; they either need a sugar daddy (Ferrari with Fiat) or they disappear/reconfigure. 

McLaren road cars business is certainly facing challenges but I'm not sure Zak can be blamed for that. COVID walloped them, the cars are not as reliable as they should be (going back to before Zak) and building sports cars profitably is a very tough business....ask Porsche who had to change their business model after going bust in '91 or Ferrari or Lotus or Maserati or Lamborghini or Bentley...most go bust with the rare exception such as Morgan or Pagani. 

I hope McLaren survive as an independent company but I fear they won't, even if a business messiah were in charge.

Justin

Brown is not in charge of the automotive side of the business, he's only in charge on the racing is he not?!

Paul Walsh is the overarching executive chairman for Group McLaren while Mike Flewitt was the head of automotive until the end of 2021 and has not been replaced yet I think.

If you look at things Brown has done well for McLaren Racing taking the team back on podiums and making sure that entity had enough cash by bringing on board a slew of new sponsors. The team has won its firs race in a while and both drivers have been performing strongly enough during the season  to finish 3rd then 4th in the championship in the last two years.

Applied Technology is not under Brown's management either as the company has been spun off and is doing well enoug for itself.

the Automotive division has been struggling in the current context. They are a standalone player in an industry where unless you are a boutique player (Pagani, Koenigsegg GMA) that sells under 200 cars per annum at over a million a piece or you are part of/or connected to a global conglomerate (Ferrari, Porsche,Lamborghini, and now Lotus) you are struggling with the cost of development.

There's been a rumour of Audi buying McLaren, it was denied but it is not going away, it's not just McLaren Racing that is in question but the entire McLaren group.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1134171_audi-and-mclaren-tie-up-reportedly-still-on-the-table

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/mclaren/bmw-and-audi-in-bidding-war-for-mclaren/

I'm no Brown fanboy, his strategy of slapping a McLaren sticker on everything that races is annoying (Indycar, Extreme-E,) despite the car not being made by McLaren.

McLaren, as we know it (Ron Dennis' Project 4), has seen both founders go, first Ron Dennis was asked to leave after the Honda fiasco and was properly deleted from McLaren history. then Mansour Ojjeh passed away leaving his shares to his estate (TAG Group). As of now the company is primarily owned by Mumtalakat Holding from Bahrein and they may see fit to get some of their money back.

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

Yep, Zak just McLaren Racing.

I understand chief operating officer of Group McLaren, Jonathan Neale, has left. 

Sale and leaseback of the site at Woking in 2021, shareholders appear to have baulked at further funding. 

Clearly major upheavals at Group McLaren. Fairly par for the course in the world they operate.

Justin