free hit
counters
85 TE intake trumpets - refurb or not? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

85 TE intake trumpets - refurb or not?

Just a curio really,

Whilst Ihad to remove everything to get at the alternator, I decided to do a test and clean the intake trumpets, using varioud differnt no-chemical solutions.

Here's the result, but the real question is should I get them replated?

Thoughts/comments most welcome

BTW, photo is "after"  - didn't take a "before" as I was keen to get going ...... 

IMG-3338.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My answer to this is simply, “Yes, get them replated.”

Why? Purely for you—so you can know you did so, and can admire how shiny and uniform they are after the plating. 

It is a small thing, perhaps, and one more expense for something you most likely don’t need done, but the feeling of satisfaction knowing you had the job done should be worth it. 

I’m restoring my headlight surrounds and have chosen to paint or touch up, which you probably can’t do due to the different applications—wouldn’t want to draw any flaked-off paint into your engine!

Each cadmium plated ring was in different stages (with a fourth still attached to the bulb/light). 

One, totally corroded, got painted directly over the remaining cad plating (no sanding since cadmium dust can act like a slow-burn nerve agent) with self-etching primer, then spray painted with Zinc gold plating paint, and translucent hot pink and lime green paint by Testor’s (used for RC models & cars). 

The other two surrounds, I have done very light passes over slightly corroded areas with the zinc gold spray paint and a haze of the translucent pink/lime combination, to fill in the spots where there was only the “pot metal” chaff color.

Is it a perfect solution? No. But I absolutely love doing this painting, as I like the result. The translucent pink/lime shifts in color depending on the light angle, but this only mimics cadmium rather than mirrors it.

In the end, I am immeasurably satisfied with the blended result.

So, get those intake trumpets plated (I don’t see paint possibly flaking off as being good for your engine!) and spend time admiring the plater’s handiwork 😊.

Regards, 

Scott

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

I'm now really curious .....

Can I re-plate these at home ?  i.e.  a DIY job?

Has anyone here done it? 

What ingredients do I need? what should I know that I don't etc. 

All useful comments welcome 🤣

20 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

Sure can - Search for 'yellow passivate kit' on google.     

Watched some vidoes: all seems possible, and the trumpets will not be physically harmed in the process - so ....  next project on the go .... Sunday being shopping day .......

On 16/02/2022 at 09:03, Sparky said:

Yeah, but you'd polish a turd.

No good without a photo😱

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

On 15/02/2022 at 15:00, thebartman said:

Just a curio really,

Whilst Ihad to remove everything to get at the alternator, I decided to do a test and clean the intake trumpets, using varioud differnt no-chemical solutions.

Here's the result, but the real question is should I get them replated?

Thoughts/comments most welcome

BTW, photo is "after"  - didn't take a "before" as I was keen to get going ...... 

IMG-3338.jpg

Stick them in dishwasher while the wife's out

• Like 2