free hit
counters
The "I'm neither happy nor unhappy today" thread - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

The "I'm neither happy nor unhappy today" thread

Alfa2Evora

Beautiful pictures of your dogs.  German Shepherd or King/Shiloh Shepherd?  I'm not recognizing the other breed?  You're right, nobody can resist these two.

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

@bogle They're actually both Utonagan, full cousins of each other in fact, but from opposite ends of the breed standard in terms of colouration and coat length.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/dog-breeds/utonagan/

• Love 1

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

• Gold FFM

Had I posted yesterday, this would most definitely have been in the 'HAPPY' thread but the slight step back today demotes it to here.

TODAY'S REPORT:
Jennifer was quite 'active' today, not as much as yesterday, but it still warranted her being returned to her bed for a bit in an attempt to stop her trying to go walk-about from her chair.
Unfortunately, once in bed she is still quite 'mobile' and so ends up whacking bits of her anatomy, usually arms, legs or face, against the side rails so she's collecting another impressive array of bruises.

Yesterday, she was quite communicative too. One thing I noticed was that whereas before in the periods when she was not making any sense what was coming out her mouth could have passed for an alien language, yesterday the words were English but just in a random order. Some of the time, her responses were totally coherent so we're getting there slowly but surely.

Also yesterday, one of the nurses came over and started singing a song. Jennifer then joined in and when the nurse stopped, Jennifer continued on with the rest of the verse/chorus.

She had a bit of a restless night apparently so she was a bit tired by the time I went in today and she kept nodding off between her repeated attempts to throw-off the bedclothes and exit the bed. She seemed to be understanding what I was saying to her judging by her facial expressions but her speech was sadly back to a mixture of short coherent phrases and longer incoherent rambling.

I'm not too dispirited as the pattern that's emerging seems to be a 'high' day followed by one or two more subdued days while her brain takes a rest and recovers from all the previous activity.

Tomorrow is doggy-visit day so fingers crossed for a positive reaction when Jennifer claps eyes on them.

The progress in Jennifer's recovery may be slow but there are some positive signs though.

Make sure you make time to give yourself a bit of a treat over the weekend.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Were it not for a couple of 'events', this would probably have qualified for the 'Happy' thread.

FURTHER UPDATE ON JENNIFER:

Well, quite a lot has happened since my last post. Over the period, Jennifer has actually made some reasonable progress apart from a couple of glitches which were the result of outside influences and which I'll come back to in a minute.

The most important thing to note is that I have come round to accepting that Jennifer's future recovery would probably be best served in a nursing home. She doesn't really need to be in hospital now as she doesn't require emergency medical intervention facilities to be on hand 24/7.

The ward must seem quite daunting to her at times with all the activity going on around her - the comings and goings of the staff, the various beeps and so on given off by the equipment, and the sounds of the other patients. Perhaps, therefore, some time in a more relaxed environment with her own private space will actually promote a speedier recovery process. She'll still be getting all the interactions and stimuli she needs, just with more chill-time in between.

Last week, the hospital Social Worker and their Mental Health Officer decided that it was time to conduct an assessment of Jennifer's cognitive levels. This was supposed to be done in my presence as Jennifer is still quite wary of anybody she's not familiar with so you can imagine how pleased I was to learn that they'd visited just after I'd left Jennifer's side last Monday.

Apparently, they'd gone into the ward, pulled the curtains around Jennifer's seating area and parked themselves right in front of her. Isolated from her familiar surroundings and confronted by 2 strangers with only their eyes visible above their face-masks, of course Jennifer got somewhat distressed.

After about 10 minutes of Jennifer becoming more and more agitated they eventually decided to terminate their visit. When they contacted me later to inform me of what had happened I left them in no doubt as to how I felt about their approach and insisted that I be there during any future attempt.

They rescheduled for Thursday and this time they did at least not set about pulling curtains etc. In fact, they agreed to my suggestion that we all go out of the ward area, however they insisted we use the visitors' room rather than my preference of the outside patio. It was a nice day and Jennifer is totally at ease every time she's out there whereas the room would be just another enclosed space that was unfamiliar to her. Surprise, surprise, despite my calming influence Jennifer quickly became more and more ill at ease - not a meltdown perhaps but she definitely was far from happy so I called a halt to the proceedings before she became any more upset.

Why won't these supposed 'experts' listen to family members? They might have knowledge of their subject matter but they don't necessarily have any knowledge of a particular patient and how they're going to react to a particular situation. Jennifer and I have been together for 30 years (come June 10th) - The Social Worker and the MHO have known her for less than 30 minutes but seemingly they know best, :angry: .

The good news is that, once away from the Spanish Inquisition, Jennifer quickly regained her composure and has been having a good day every day since. The conversations have flowed, all her responses have been relevant and totally coherent and she's even taken the lead and introduced new topics for discussion on several occasions. She's well aware of her surroundings, commenting on such things as the trees and flowers out in the grounds, the aircraft flying overhead to and from nearby Edinburgh Airport, items that have been on the ward TV, and the various members of the medical staff, most of whom she knows by their first names.

That's much more like the Jennifer that I know and love but the so-called experts who are making the decisions on her future aren't giving her a chance to show them that side of her, :rant: .

I'll be spending the next few days visiting a number of nursing homes to try and produce a shortlist for inclusion in Jennifer's discharge plan - there's one that I'm particularly keen to see as it looks nothing like your typical nursing/care home but more like a luxury hotel and it gets an 'Excellent' rating across the board by the Care Inspectorate too. If it meets my high expectations, I might even enquire about moving in there myself, :rolleyes: .

If it meets my high expectations, I might even enquire about moving in there myself, :rolleyes: .

Glad to see you at least make progress enough to joke a little.  Sorry that the experts aren't listening to you when it comes to accommodating your request to make Jennifer feel at ease.  Unfortunately, some of the book smart SMEs don't have the necessary Street Smarts of listening to the most important person which happens to be YOU.  30 years of marriage and you end up knowing an awful lot of things about the significant other.  I'm only at 22 years and an additional 9 years of dating with my spouse.

I had to look for a nursing home for my Mother-In-Law.  It's was not a pleasant experience since we were rushed through the process.  However, her mom went into Hospice and passed 2 days later.  Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer is quick.  Luckily we all had our chances to say goodbye.  My wife and I drug her around everywhere:  All the Hawaiian islands, multiple Caribbean cruises, Ensenada, Catalina, San Francisco, Vegas, Alaska.  But the wife's sister's family took her multiple times to Europe.  Her name was Wilma and I miss her a lot.  Fantastic Lady.  Sorry I got side tracked.

Getting back on track, I hope this nursing home will be a good fit for Jennifer if it works out.  This has got to be taking its toll on you.  I know it will help you knowing she's being taken care of properly.  I have not made the trip over the pond to Europe yet.  When I do, I hope to stop in Scotland because you never know when you're going to get a sudden craving for Haggis and proper Whiskey.

Edited by bogle

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

JENNIFER: FURTHER UPDATE.

I realise that I've not posted anything regarding Jennifer for nearly 5 weeks now and that some of you may by now be wondering what's going on.

Well, she's now at a stage that the medics refer to as a recovery plateau so not a lot has changed over the past few weeks - there have been a couple of developments in the last couple of days but I'll reveal more details after my meeting on Tuesday with her consultant as I don't want to get hopes up needlessly.

The good thing about the 'plateau' is that Jennifer has not really had any significantly bad days but of course the down side is that neither has she had any significantly good days.

Meanwhile, my lawyer has started processing the long-winded application to the courts to have me granted Guardianship, after which I'll at least feel that I have some say in Jennifer's future.

Hopefully, some good news to report in a few days.

• Like 2

Hope it all goes well David.

I wasn't happy with myself when I got told that I had plateaued and it was unlikely that I would get any more improvement. I have over time.

Here's hoping that once Jennifer is in a friendlier place, that further gains are made.

Brain rewiring is not an overnight process.

And as far as the incident with the SW and the MHO, stand your ground and just say, "We will be doing this out on the patio. Jennifer and I will be waiting for you."

Probably too worried about the wind blowing their paperwork from their oh-so-important clipboards.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

JENNIFER: FURTHER UPDATE

Essentially, at this stage , there is no update. She's still generally making tiny steps in the right direction but I'm still not in a position to celebrate what I hope are a couple of more significant improvements.

I had hoped to reveal the details after I'd discussed them at my planned meeting with Jennifer's consultant last Tuesday but that has been postponed for a bit as he has tested positive for the dreaded bug, :( .

Hopefully, my interpretation of the signs does prove to be correct and all can be revealed shortly.

• Like 1

David you are a trooper in a challenging times.  It's good to hear from you!  Well you'll get more news after your physician gets out of the bug zone.

• Thanks 1