free hit
counters
Cyclists and the road - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Cyclists and the road

ramjet

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I do cycle, usually off road but I do cycle on the road to get where I'm going at times. When I cycle though I will pull over occasionally to let cars past which makes my journey a lot less stressful. I also act like I'm the squishiest thing on the road and generally try not to do anything that would surprise a driver.

For some reason most other bikers on the road:

1) Never EVER pull over and are happy to have a huge train behind them even as they crawl slowly up a hill

2) Cycle up the inside of traffic, even if that means bumping wing mirrors - Why? Not only does it infuriate everyone and damage cars but drivers also aren't expecting a road user on the inside of them in a queue on a smaller road - why is this even allowed?

3) Believe they own the road - I have literally driven two wheels off the road into a bush and slowed to a crawl before to let a bike through coming the other way down a very narrow road, they had plenty of space. He then shouts abuse at me for having the temerity to even be on the road with him

I try not to get into one road user is more entitled than another situations but for some reason bikes are becoming more and more of a menace. The problem being that THEY are the ones who will get hurt but are doing their best to maximise their chance of it and the driver is the one who will be prosecuted when a cyclist does something suicidal that the driver stands no hope of predicting.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this,https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/ridelondon-2022-route-map-essex-diversity-cycling-b983189.html.           25000 cyclists in Essex

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• 4 months later...

A Farmers view of cyclists....

Harvest has begun and chaos is already ensuing so here's a bit of a reminder for cyclists, especially during harvest who think that their joy ride is more important than food production. Also FYI, the last cyclist that tried to get past our convoy of tractors and harvesters ended up in a hedge so choose your battles wisely (and before someone says something it wasn't on purpose, it was his own fault).
From an irritated farmer:
A polite-ish notice to all cyclists on country roads during this harvest.
Please understand I have zero issues with you using the roads to ride your bicycle, I’m all for exercising and if slipping in to a lycra suit and impaling your self on a cock shaped bike seat for hours keeps you satisfied then each to their own. If I’m driving a car I always give plenty of ‘safe space’ when passing cyclists which is only fair, we know how sensitive you are to your requested road space, you have just as much right to the roads as anyone....
HOWEVER, if I’m coming at you in a bloody great big tractor with 20 tons behind me on a single track road, do me and yourself a favour and STOP for one second, either move as far over to your side of the road or just step on to the verge if there is one, so I can pass safely, do not just continue at full speed and then piss and moan as you go past because if it goes wrong you’ll end up being pressure washed off a tractor wheel. Unfortunately for you we take all your space and we can’t help it, so unless you want to lend a hand either changing a tyre that’s blown out or shovelling up a spillage, then we’re not dropping our wheels into drainage grips so that you can continue your bicycle ride. Cars, horse riders and runners are capable of it, I seem to be missing something with cyclists, I presume either you don’t want to get your special bike dirty, you’re trying to beat your PB or more than likely you’re just a complete cock in general.
Regards your Road Safety Advocate for the 3 shires

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Brilliant @exeterjeep. That farmer is a wise old bugger.

Personally, there are times that if I was in a parallel universe I'd happily volunteer to pressure wash the cyclists off tractor wheels!

However, the problem I have with farmers (to be probably more precise their contractors)is that they drive those bloody big tractors with their 20 tonne loads at full pelt, one handed, all over the road as the other hand is holding their freakin' phones. Now that Farmer Sir is a cock that is so dangerous it should never be allowed to slip into a cab, or any other confined space.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

We had our field cut Saturday and turned today - but this was not our load....

Some farmer in Exeter yesterday.... 

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/tractor-driver-exeter-uses-single-7315271

Tractor driver stopped in Exeter after securing huge load with just one strap. 

15 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

drive those bloody big tractors

No cyclist in sight though.

0_LL_DCM-100722-Tractor.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
47 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

No cyclist in sight though.

Is that not the cyclists helmet between rear wheel and mudguard?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Brilliant @exeterjeep. That farmer is a wise old bugger.

Personally, there are times that if I was in a parallel universe I'd happily volunteer to pressure wash the cyclists off tractor wheels!

Great. You should've stopped there :P

Naked charity cyclists left terrified after Perthshire road rage attack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-62121867

Are they a bit mad? There is even a pic .....

Two naked charity cyclists have said they were left terrified after being deliberately knocked off their tandem as they travelled through Perthshire.

Colin Unsworth and Sadie Tan were riding near Bridge of Earn when they were targeted, shortly after the car's female passenger shouted abuse at them.