free hit
counters
MIL on and cuts out when starting - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

MIL on and cuts out when starting

Annoyingly the engine management light has come on this morning after being winterised.  Was supposed to be taking it to the MOT station.

Any ideas and which is a good odb2 reader and app for the lotus and my BMWs?

TIA

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
11 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Hi Chris. I had the engine management light come on once or twice on my Evora so I purchased an OBD11 reader - Streetwise I think off Euro parts (under £20) Just going out to check. Back in 5 mins

Hi again. Yes it was Streetwize OBD11 fault code reader 20220221_093929.thumb.jpg.ea508be1025ee131cbde2a94533cf3a1.jpg

The error codes I got on 2 separate occasions were P0172 (system too rich, bank 1) and P0175 (system too rich, bank 2) I cleared both codes but the warning light came on again. 

After some research I found that it could be a dirty MAF sensor so I purchased some MAF sensor and removed the sensor 20220221_093947.thumb.jpg.63e99d20370b2b5cc7e411dcec0ba499.jpg20220221_093610.thumb.jpg.40ff8c5f2667ea2da2a80041a193c220.jpg(easy job, small Phillips screwdriver) and carefully cleaned it. Replaced it, removed any error codes and job done. No warning lights since.

I'm not saying that this is your problem but it was a nice, cheap easy fix for me 

PS I should mention that the OBD port is difficult to find if you haven't done a reading before - RHS footwell, up and under. No oroblems if you're a gynaecologist though

• Like 2

I suspect there isn't any real difference between a good electrical contact spray and MAF sensor spray. Worth checking on the web before you buy

Another thing I should mention is that the Streetwise OBD11 reader won't read error codes from cars of a certain age ie it is no good for my '91 M100's. I still revert to the tried and trusted "paperclip test" to check for any error codes

So got a good reader and some MAF sensor cleaner.  Error codes were bank1 too rich bank 2 too rich 0172 and 0175.

Took the sensor out spray it with the cleaner a couple of times, cleared the MIL light and no seems to idle better.  So hopefully all good. 

Thanks for all the info.

Now off to get some beers for the local MOT garage as had to cancel the MOT 

Incidentally, when I had error codes P0172 and P0175 my idle was a bit lumpy too. When I cleared the error codes the lumpiness went away and idle speed was as per normal. Both times these error codes were observed was when I was crawling along slowly in heavy, slow moving, start/stop traffic 😖

• Gold FFM

so same issue with me today although the fault did start late last year but p0638 throttle actuator control range bank1 (also had a forced idle fault up) so just got the car out for a start up and wash etc and couldnt get it to idle later when i went to put it in the garage even after deleting the fault codes so i went and had a cup of tea then started it up and it ran on idle fine !!! still has the fault code tho so anyone had to have that fixed or have fixed it ??

If your cars have been parked up and not been started during the winter storage the modern petrol life span is only several months before it losses its energy. So fuel in the fuel lines will be worse than the tank fuel hence when you first start up after been in hibernation could cause bad starting and bad running and several error codes. Its like trying to start your Lawn mower for the first time with old stale fuel from the previous year.

• Gold FFM

Sport410 (2016, 12,000 miles) MIL on, cleared by Bell and Colvill. Back on after 50 miles or so, apparently the MIL has a cycle to perform before illuminating again. Bank 1 catalytic converter failure, Bramley warranty (1 year) covered the £2k bill. 

Fortunately, the catalytic had not broken up, as that can leave particles in the rear silencer necessitating a new 'box at £2.3k. 

Justin