free hit
counters
Lotus Eclat 1983 £3250 - Cars/Parts For Sale - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Eclat 1983 £3250

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I suspect that will find a home....but it will end up costing way more than just buying a sorted car in the first place. 

I appreciate folk don't necessarily have £10k to £15k to spend from the get go but it makes much more sense to buy a car in regular use with a stack of recent bills.

Justin

• Gold FFM

It doesn't look in too bad a shape cosmetically, so could make for a good starting base for someone who wants to tinker before driving. I agree you're better of with a running example, but I'm myself not willing to pay a premium for a service history etc because I assume there will be (hidden) issues and I'll have to go over everything myself anyway (which for me is also part of the fun and what gives me a lot of satisfaction).

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Says he has had it for 6 years or so and not done anything to it, I would have thought he could have at least tried to find the missing item and keep the doors etc in a usable condition. Not sure how easy spare windows are these days. I recall over 20 years ago LLC were trying to find a new quarter light window for an early excel and having loads of trouble.

Hi , I went and looked at this car yesterday with my son.  I am semi retired and he is an engineer in motorsport and with and without his help I have built kits and restored cars for 30 years as a hobby and when time and money allows . The car is 3 miles from my house in an open barn , dry and plenty of air moving.  The chassis looks like galvanised, but pretty much covered in what looks like chalk in effect ? The engine has no distributor and the owner has never run the car or heard in run. He bought it as a restoration project and has not ever started it . There is no drivers side window .  Interior is in very good condition albeit somewhere between utter horror in terms of styling and a 80's delight that makes you smile . I am strangely drawn to the car but looking at parts availability and running car sale prices  , I am wondering to go for it or not .  Any good advice from here would be gratefully received .  Its the 2.2 l on a 1984 registration.   Thanks    .  David 

• Gold FFM

The car is worth £10k, perhaps £12k, fully restored to a high standard. If LotusBits were to restore this car, the bill would be in excess of £20k, probably £30k. And their labour rates are competitive.

Parts supply should be reasonable good, especially if you're prepared to hunt and beg but most stuff to get it road worthy should be simple. 

So..... it's your call. Spend a little now, a lot on parts and many hours over months if not years on this project. Or buy a car you can use now for £10k to £12k which will still more than likely give you enough running jobs to fill your time.

Justin

• Like 1

Many thanks for that reply its certainly not an exercise of economics I can see .  I have spent 30 plus years spending money on cars and hiding receipts and not ever getting it back .😀  A post above suggests someone has a drivers side door glass . Paul Harcourt.  However I am not sure how to private message you having only joined the forum 4 hours ago .  Great if you could message me Paul as the door glass is part of my decision.

Also what distributor  do I buy for that engine , noting it does not have one fitted right now 

Thanks 

David 

Congrats, hope that you have weeks/months of 'fun' working on it. It will be great to get another one saved.

Congratulations @Cliffords - that looks like a nice project.

It also looks very similar to my 1983 Excel, which has kept me busy for the last 2 years. Ive kept a record of what ive been up to here

I titled the thread as 'continued' as the previous owner also posted on this forum for the work he did to the car.

Im looking forward to your future posts!

Richard

Thanks for all the positive comments . I spent half of today looking over the car again and generally I am quite surprised at the condition of many of the components , for such an old car .  I am at the same time having a bit of 'oh what have I done' , as I see the parts being expensive from the usual sources I have seen so far.  I have done work on two different TVR's in the past and there is a really strong resource to find alternative parts at non TVR prices . I think this may be harder for this car , with no obvious serial numbers on brake callipers or discs for example .  I think I will stop looking at it for a few days and distract my mind with other jobs.  Its supposed to be fun after all, I don't need it as daily car and never will .  😀  David 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Congrats and best of luck! I'm sure you'll get her running soon enough and as above, great to know another one is being saved.

I chuckled when I read your comment about TVR vs Lotus. I had the exact opposite reaction when I got my 280S last year, as I couldn't easily find the necessary parts and diagrams. Most importantly, I still haven't found a resource that comes close to TLF for useful technical info and entertaining chatter. Which is one of the reasons why the TVR is still sitting there looking sad... (what have I done indeed).

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
18 hours ago, Cliffords said:

I have done work on two different TVR's in the past and there is a really strong resource to find alternative parts at non TVR prices . I think this may be harder for this car , with no obvious serial numbers on brake callipers or discs for example .

Absolutely the opposite is true. Having tried to find bits and cross refs for a tvr - it’s a colossal pain in the ass. The lotus however - easy - and this resource on here is superb. 

just ask a question and the answer will appear 👍

• Like 1

Only here once

5 hours ago, Escape said:

Congrats and best of luck! I'm sure you'll get her running soon enough and as above, great to know another one is being saved.

I chuckled when I read your comment about TVR vs Lotus. I had the exact opposite reaction when I got my 280S last year, as I couldn't easily find the necessary parts and diagrams. Most importantly, I still haven't found a resource that comes close to TLF for useful technical info and entertaining chatter. Which is one of the reasons why the TVR is still sitting there looking sad... (what have I done indeed).

Filip

For those with alternative TVR parts requirements may I suggest you post on Piston Heads .  Its quite a bit more rough and ready than here, so beware what you dive into . However if you look at the model specific threads under TVR and seek alternative parts , you will find it there with ease .

• Gold FFM

Yeah, I looked at PistonHeads, some interesting posts but not really the technical stuff I was hoping for. That could be due to the S-series not being very popular of course. I did have the same experience on the Jaguar forums, so don't really frequent those anymore.
Luckily our CEO over here doesn't mind us talking about other cars (or topics in general) than Lotus. 🙂