free hit
counters
Emira Road Tests & Reviews - Page 23 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira Road Tests & Reviews

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

^^ Funny picture angle above, makes it look like the Porsche had some crash damage!

Bit of an unfair comparison, IMO - GTS 4.0 is the more natural competitor to Emira. There will no doubt be a lighter weight, more powerful Emira (perhaps a 430 Cup or similar) which will compete head to head with GT4.

A friend has recently got a GT4. I spent a fair bit of time in the car a few months back and I have to say that I was impressed.

It's very well put together and looks great. In PDK option it's well into 3 secs 0-60.

There are posts on forums that suggest you can get on the allocation for these without much if any of a Porsche buying history and the prices for a sensibly optioned car are actually quite good.

I've not driven an Emira, but one specced with sports suspension and maybe on cup tyres, wouldnt be an unreasonable comparison IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, philcool said:

Driven a GT4 and mighty good it was as for an Emira I've only sat in one 

IMG_20200308_103718933_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200308_102708531.jpg

Agree totally, a fantastic car, if only they would shorten the gearing! 

Almost went down the route of rpmtechnik modified diff to lower the gear ratios, but sold it and bought an Alpine A110. Fitted all the "Life" suspension mods and remap, Not looked back and yes I'm over 70😂.

• Gold FFM
19 hours ago, Woodman said:

Has anyone test driven the Emira and a GT4. I am expecting the Emira To be quieter and ‘softer’ than a GT4 and wonder if anyone has had a gt4 and driven theEmira?

There are some test drive write ups coming out of the US dealer tour.  They tend to have had a short drive (15-20 mins) and mostly urban roads but still some useful info.  A few people are coming from Porsches so making useful comparisons.  There's a thread over on one of the other forums.

• Gold FFM

Sorry, the Gayman reminds me of the afterbirth of my first born...  no thanks. 😄

• Sad 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, blindside said:

Of course everyone is fully entitled to their opinion @Evotion but that’s a pretty scathing comment. How much time have you had with a GT4? 

1 second to know I have never liked the looks - which is what I was talking about!

In every sports car way, it is a better car than the Emira. Dynamically brilliant. 

I just can't, and never have, gotten over the looks. I think it's because it is a really old design now and never looked good. It has presence though in GT4 guise.

Anyway, the GT4 is in no way comparable to the Emira really. The Emira is a heavy, for a reason, comfortable car focussed on all-round usability.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

• Gold FFM

That’s a more balanced & helpful reply. Recent Porsche GT cars are all about functional ability; rather than attractive looks (form). They will never ever win a beauty contest, but that’s not the point (as you know).😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Gold FFM

@BeadyI favour track oriented road cars that are challenging and rewarding to drive in equal measure. Lots of ‘sensory overload’ and the minimum of cabin & driver assist clutter. I’m an ICE diehard and intend to make the most of what’s out there before it’s too late.

If you apply that criteria Lotus have had their ICE high watermark a few years ago. So I’ll be keeping my GT430 because it is massive fun to drive and it’s rare. For me it represents much of the purist approach to engineering & a design tradition that Lotus stood for as a marque.  

For very valid (commercial imperative) reasons they have moved the goalposts under Geely. The Emira is a stunning looking car with immense kerb appeal. I appreciate why there’s been compromise around its performance and a more ‘mainstream’ approach has been taken over it’s appeal/functionality. But that performance compromise is still there. I’ve absolutely no interest in the electric SUVs that will follow the Emira.

Porsche have the strategy, scale, R&D budget and a big reputation to uphold with their GT cars. There’s been decades of development, so nothing new about any of that. It is also fair to say that they decided to go out of the ICE era with “all guns blazing”. The 992 GT3, GT3RS and the 718 Cayman GT4RS, all with the absolutely immense race car derived naturally aspirated GT3 engine and drivetrain are ‘where it’s at’ for me as a performance car enthusiast. However, the high demand/limited supply issues & eye watering markups on these models make them very hard (almost impossible) to acquire. The previous iteration 991 & 991.2 GT3 & GTRS models are a little easier to step into, but obviously are not new and the real world price point is still very high. The GT3 is a physically big  car, but the 1405kg weight for the RS version & 1390kg for the GT4RS shows the effort that’s gone into reducing mass.

Excuse the very long winded answer to your question.  It’s a complete mismatch on several levels. Not sure there’s any ability contest worth measuring at this point in time.

The AMG 4 pot highly tuned & coupled with a serious weight saving exercise might make the Emira much more interesting.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
15 minutes ago, blindside said:

The AMG 4 pot highly tuned & coupled with a serious weight saving exercise might make the Emira much more interesting

That's the one I'm waiting for Jimmy to park beside my 410 Sport.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

It will be interesting to see just how much lighter the 4 pot set up will be.

Wikipedia have the M139 engine as 160kg and the Toyota V6 at 167kg.

I assume the M139 figure includes the turbo and the V6 figure is without the SC, otherwise there doesn't look too much in it.

• Gold FFM

Probably more about the significant power increase possible with the AMG 4pot & the ability of the drivetrain to handle it. Then strip all the soundproofing, climate control, multimedia & heated seats. Or provide as options. Throw on carbon body parts, tweak the aero and you would have a real beast of a car.

You’d like to believe that Lotus still have the desire to do something like this for public consumption, but I’m not holding my breath. Their all electric bandwagon has already rolled off into the sunset.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Simon Bateman said:

It will be interesting to see just how much lighter the 4 pot set up will be.

Wikipedia have the M139 engine as 160kg and the Toyota V6 at 167kg.

I assume the M139 figure includes the turbo and the V6 figure is without the SC, otherwise there doesn't look too much in it.

For identical specs, either FE or Base, the V6 car is about 30kg heavier than the i4 car.

20 kg of that difference is i4 + turbo + DCT + ancillaries + cooling kit versus V6 + SC + manual + ancillaries + cooling kit.

The other 10kg is because the i4 sits in an aluminium subframe, whereas the V6 is in a steel one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blindside said:

Probably more about the significant power increase possible with the AMG 4pot & the ability of the drivetrain to handle it. Then strip all the soundproofing, climate control, multimedia & heated seats. Or provide as options. Throw on carbon body parts, tweak the aero and you would have a real beast of a car.

You’d like to believe that Lotus still have the desire to do something like this for public consumption, but I’m not holding my breath. Their all electric bandwagon has already rolled off into the sunset.

I'm genuinely sceptical that much if any of this will come to pass.

I think a GT4 will appear at some point, but more in line with what Porsche have done with the Cayman and not a super light stripped out version.

I also wonder just how much power Lotus will squeeze from the 4 pot and there is a suggestion that AMG will only allow a BHP figure at or below the current maximum figure that they provide in the A45, so as not to trump their offering and also possibly risk warranty issues for over stressed power units outside of AMG power guidelines.

I can't help thinking that some people expecting something truly special, are going to be disappointed.

I suspect this will be about what Gealy want moving forward and not the Lotus engineers 

• Like 1

Did get the impression from someone at the Eletre road show that a higher power/spec version was likely to be on the way. Was looking at the Emira and discussing my gt430 and future options. 

• Gold FFM
18 minutes ago, TomE said:

And their attention has clearly already moved to the EVs

Which is why I have stuck with my Evora. The Emira is definitely a step up as a daily, but I don't want a Lotus as a daily. But again, each to their own.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

4 hours ago, TomE said:

For identical specs, either FE or Base, the V6 car is about 30kg heavier than the i4 car.

I've read that the i4 engine is a significantly lighter than the V6, but the DCT gearbox is a lot heavier than the manual box, so the overall weight difference is not so great - just the c20kg that you mention. However, that heavy lump of DCT box sits low down in the chassis and I'm further hopefull that the whole i4 installation will sit lower than the V6.

Lower centre of gravity over the back wheels can only help the handling 👍

EDIT: maybe the i4 will drive like 'an Evora dialled up to 11' :lol:

Edited by duncx
  • Like 1