free hit
counters
Emira Road Tests & Reviews - Page 14 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Emira Road Tests & Reviews

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
2 hours ago, jimichanga said:

Without purists and unique lightweight sports cars there wouldn’t have been anything for Geely to buy.

Well said that man. 👍

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
19 hours ago, Eagle7 said:

and bring all that in for $37,895 LESS than the outgoing car is remarkable.

Ha, I mention this 'bargain' Emira often.

I will just sit here smiling whilst others moan the wheels are the wrong shade, the gaps too big and the colour might  be dark in the garage at midnight.

• Haha 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

The Evora Sport 410 looks somewhat "raw"....I personally like that.

The Emira ( imo !! ) looks a little as the first Porsche Boxster and the Mercedes SLK.

A lot of people called the Porsche Boxster and the Mercedes SLK "a hair dressers car".......of which I can not explain why, however can understand and feel what they mean.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I also think that many are forgetting that the Emira has not just replaced the Evora, but the much lighter and even more focused Elise and Exige.

When you stack up the weight and performance levels against the Exige then the Emira is a million miles off the mark.  For whatever reason (I believe it was a mistake) Lotus decided to cease 3 models and replace them all with a softer, easier to live with, more mainstream, mummy satisfying car.  I can understand why as a result, some people might not be as enthusiastic.  For me, if Lotus still made the Exige Cup 430 that would be the ideal car (or a 420/410 Exige) to sit in my garage ALONGSIDE the Evora.  The Emira in any of the current configurations only makes sense if i ditch the Evora and that ain't going to happen i don't think.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I don't think the Emira replaces the Elise/Exige. Those are two models that have been 'dropped', with the Emira being a successor to the Evora but with wider appeal. I've no idea if Lotus plans to bring a leccy Elise/Exige car out in the future?

• Gold FFM

You might not think it, but they have been dropped and the only thing you can buy is an Emira. So it has replaced them as now the only sports car you can buy is an Emira.

The point for me is that yet again I think Lotus have cocked up.  They should have released the Emira V6 with the 430 engine from the start. It would have blown away the Cayman for a start and really given the journo's something to chew on. Nut instead, it just feels like they have bottled it.  Just a personal view.

It feels like Evora all over again - great car but the marketing/strategy is flawed. Again.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
10 minutes ago, TomE said:

Instead of returning the car to Hethel, EVO then took the car to Anglesey where they "happened to have" a GT4 being tested.  They didn't tell Lotus they were doing a track test either beforehand or when they returned the car.

And this is exactly the type of behaviour Evo have a track record of and why i stopped buying the magazine years ago. But then, Lotus not tying this down is just typical, well, Lotus to be honest. Porsche would not tolerate this type of behaviour with their cars.

Sorry if this is sounding too negative - more than anything I am just disappointed, if not disheartened, that Lotus have not nailed this launch with the Emira. They have a fantastic looking car, a real meat eater, but as a go to market organisation they seem to be more like a buffalo wandering the plains eating grass waiting to be shot and skinned by the Evo hunter. Don't get me wrong, I so want Lotus to be a successful manufacturer of sports cars for now, and the future. I am holding out for the carbon infused, I4 tuned to 430/450bhp "GT3/4 or CUP" version.

• Like 2

@C8RKH my post wasn’t directed at you. I haven’t had any issue with what you've raised, which is essentially what I have also said, being that different cars will appeal to different people. My central point was there are a few (not you) who are decrying this “too heavy too soft not-Lotus” but I don’t see the same said about Esprit (nor should it be) - perhaps 25 years is the minimum hindsight for people to appreciate a change?

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

It seems that if you say anything that isn't "oh my god the Emira is perfect and Lotus are just the best saints ever" that somehow you're a bad person. Tosh.

Never said, nor intimated in my post. I’m not pretending it’s perfect.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I have pointed out some negatives, but these are based on what I WANT from the car. So I guess according to some on here we're not allowed to have personal desires or wants.  The Emira is much heavier and down on power to my Evora Sport 410.  I find numerous LCD screens a faff and a distraction. But that is me and doesn't make me a hater for calling it out. So get a grip

Yep, and I agree. To me, a Lotus is for driving, ICE stands for internal combustion engine and not in-car entertainment. We both recognise others may feel different as is their right. But I can assure I do have a grip, I.e. perspective, and you seem overly irritated by a post not even directed at you….

I’m not now - and probably never - buying an Emira, unless I have a sudden change in life circumstances which allows me to have 3 or 4 cars and the storage for them. So I’m not some woolley eyed tie dyed fan. But I was simply calling out the unnecessary (in my view) negativity from some - not you - which - again, contrary to what you and I both seem to be saying - lacks the balance to see it for what it is.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Thanks @r3nault👍

• Like 1

If the electric future wasn't being forced down our throats whether we like it, want it or not, then things could be quite different.  Thinking or saying what Lotus could have done, should have done, etc. just doesn't address the harsh realities facing not only Lotus, but every automotive manufacturer.  If the cutoff date for ICE cars was 2040 even, that would allow for plenty of time to plan for more options.  Problem is, the cutoff is only 7 1/2 years from now, and considering the development cycle for a new car is usually at least 3-4 years, that basically means one more iteration.  None of the major manufacturers are planning on throwing billions into and hurrying to design as many ICE cars as they can right up to the last minute.  They're all pretty much done already, with maybe one last car coming out between now and then.  All their development money is going into electric already.  This leaves those of us who still want a great ICE car with not much of a choice, especially a sports car with a manual.

While the Emira is not like a Lotus of old, I honestly think if Chapman were alive today, he'd still approve of it.  He was also enough of a realist to understand the necessities of business, and he wanted Lotus to succeed as a business.  He'd be pouring his engineering and inventive genius into starting simple and adding lightness to an electric car, and hopefully that's what the team at Lotus is doing.  With new materials and 3D printing techniques for creating actual manufacturing capable parts, it would be quite an interesting challenge to figure out how to incorporate batteries, keep the driving characteristics and feel of a Lotus, and add lightness in the process.  Then do all that at a price that's competitive in each vehicle's target market segment.

The success of the Emira means there's a future for Lotus.  Sadly the charming, quirky cars of the old Lotus are gone, but that's true about the entire ICE era, not just Lotus.  They chose to survive.  I personally think that's a good thing.

• Gold FFM
34 minutes ago, Eagle7 said:

The success of the Emira means there's a future for Lotus.  Sadly the charming, quirky cars of the old Lotus are gone

1. The Emira is NOT a success at the moment, and indeed, there have been many who after rushing to put their faith in the car and lay down a deposit, have now pulled out. Before we call something a success, let's check the numbers and the facts in the real world (i.e. post order list, manufacturing and delivery).  I had heard that around 30% of initial people who had expressed the interest fell away when specs and prices were announced. No idea if this is true, just what I was told. I, like most, hope it will be a success even though in its current form it is not desirable.

2. Quirky cars!  Really?  Maybe in your opinion, but to many, including the godlike motoring journo's they were the best driving and handling cars ever.  Quirky, no.  Not bloated with padding and tech etc. More hard core. More dynamic and focused?  Yes.

• Like 1

I thought they had a 2 year waiting list?! Lotus website said over a year last time I looked.

So should keep the company afloat, and I believe it’s way above lotus’ initial expectation. Of course some people might change their minds, but I doubt it will be a huge percentage.

I wasn’t a fan of design or finish of Elise etc….my friend had one and loved it… 

Edited by Mctaff

• Gold FFM
Posted (edited)

So all orders placed are now fully confirmed sales and the value of those if more than any other car ever sold by Lotus?  I've been in sales for over 20 years and I only count a sale when the PO has been received and the customer has no way to back out. Orders are vanity, sales are sanity! :)

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 2