free hit
counters
Co-vid/long co-vid/heart stuff - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Co-vid/long co-vid/heart stuff

2GOOD

I’ve had warning signs before & had been seen by the local rapid access chest pain clinic as recently as this January. End of January we had a co-vid outbreak at work & I tested positive early February, everyone else had a slight cold. My symptoms were Man-flu for a few days, started to feel better but still testing positive when I became breathless, so rang GP/visit GP/sent to Hospital & home some 12 hours later to rest. I’d had low blood/oxygen. 3-4 days later finally test negative, but don’t feel well, following day a high pulse as well. Co-vid ward follow up people call me & told to get myself back into hospital, oh & don’t drive yourself this time!

So back to Gloucester Royal, even though I was now negative I was told that I still needed to enter through the co-vid side of A&E but given my own room, loads of tests ecgs etc. plus a negative PCR test which is apparently unusual for someone who was just had it especially as their lab had tested me positive 5 days earlier. No chest pain, no arm pain but the right side of my neck & jaw was painful, pulse still 120/130 I’m normally 50ish & blood oxygen low again. So marker in my blood was now 39 compared with 21 5 days earlier. I was admitted, first night in the clothes I’d come in & in a hectic A&E ward, wired up & woken just about every time I’d managed to doze to check my blood pressure etc.

Followed by 4 nights in a couple of general wards which were awful & 7 nights in cardiology ward. Cardiology consultant suspected one thing, sent off me twice for Angiograms, the first time after hanging around all day in a gown unable to eat they ran out of time & sent me back to Cardiology, the following day I insisted on keeping my warmer clothing on until they were ready, I came away with three stents which wasn’t what the consultant was expecting at all, so discharged to recover & awaiting an MRI scan. Not allowed to drive for 7 days, that was up on Friday & signed off until the end of the month. I tested positive for Co-vid on the 2nd of Feb, so that’s two months off work 🙁

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Blimey Steve, what was the reason for the stents, restricted blood flow to the heart?

I visited A&E a couple of months back with chest pain and arm/shoulder/neck pain with shortness of breath. I looked on the NHS website and they said to call an ambulance, I'd had a heart attack but I drove up there and after bloods, an ECG and x-ray they said I had a lung infection (I think from re-using cloth masks). It was a slow process, I think I was there for 6 hours but sent away with antibiotics and was fine a few days later. Was still a worry! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Crikey Steve! Sounds awful mate.

I am really lucky as my daughter is an A&E Consultant and my wife a Senior Nurse at Practitioner level. I tend to know whats going on with me well before I go to the Docs or Hospital :)

I really do hope you improve soon and get back to work (Or don't and have enough money to retire like I want to do!). 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

‘We’ decided that my other half could retire last year so I need to keep going for a few more years!

Not to sure what has happened yet, waiting for an MRI. 6 tablets a day & a spray thing to use if I think I am going to have a heart attack?

That' a "GTN spray" (Glyceryl Tri Nitrate) It is typically used for sufferers of angina ie severe heart pains.

I take it they also told you to cut down on fried or processed foods? Also give a body swerve to foodstuffs like eggs, cheese and cream

1 hour ago, Rambo said:

That' a "GTN spray" (Glyceryl Tri Nitrate) It is typically used for sufferers of angina ie severe heart pains.

I take it they also told you to cut down on fried or processed foods? Also give a body swerve to foodstuffs like eggs, cheese and cream

That’s it, & with regards to the food, they haven’t at least not yet, my cholesterol has been monitored for awhile as I’m a coeliac & unable to tolerate statins. It’s around 4.9/5.1 without tablets, I’m now on ezetimibe again (statin substitute but taken off it after a year previously) & bempedoic acid which is new apparently in an attempt to get it down further. Unfortunately it’s all a balance, gluten free food tends to contain more fat & I’m supposed to need more calcium than a non-coeliac. I do have a love of cheese in moderation & have now cut it back further until it’s gone. The rest are things I’ve hardly touched in years.

14 minutes ago, Rambo said:

You're better off without statins

My father was put on statins for a few months, nearly stopped him walking, he was pleased to stop taking them. He also had the GTN spray for many years after an initial episode, but don't think he ever actually had to use. But carried it in his top pocket all the time.

6 minutes ago, Rambo said:

You're better off without statins and super statins anyway. Believe me, I was part of the team that helped develop them

40mg of a Statin that was withdrawn at some point afterwards screwed me up good & proper with cramps etc. about 7 years ago. But a senior GP at my surgery who is also on some heart group within Gloucestershire NHS & seems to be held in high regard locally loves statins, he took me off ezetimibe last time saying it was a waste of time to put me on another statin which I just stopped taking in the end.

Interesting that you don’t rate them & they didn’t try to push them on me at all this time round

8 hours ago, 2GOOD said:

40mg of a Statin that was withdrawn at some point afterwards screwed me up good & proper with cramps etc. about 7 years ago. But a senior GP at my surgery who is also on some heart group within Gloucestershire NHS & seems to be held in high regard locally loves statins, he took me off ezetimibe last time saying it was a waste of time to put me on another statin which I just stopped taking in the end.

Interesting that you don’t rate them & they didn’t try to push them on me at all this time round

Don't get me wrong. It's not all bad news. But about 20 years ago when we were developing them and going through clinical trlals we didn't know about some of the long term effects of taking them continually ie muscle cramps and muscle pain, which obviously you've gad. They can be very debilitating

But as a means of lowering (bad) cholesterol for which they were developed they are very good

As an ex analytical chemist/occupational medicinal scientist I believe that the less drugs you can take the better. The body is an amazing self regulating object but unfortunately there comes a time and comes a place where you need developed drugs or holistic medicine to give things a helping hand

• Like 2

I just realised as I read more that I take Atorvastatin. I don’t seem to get the side effects, but maybe it is some of the other medications I take that mask them. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Not everyone gets the same side effects fortunately. "One man's meat is another man's poison"

As mentioned, statins are good for what they were designed for but, as with any drug, there will inevitably be some bad side effects. Next time you reach for the atorvastatin, have a read of the piece of paper that comes with them. It makes an interesting read 

Will do. 👍

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

2 hours ago, Rambo said:

have a read of the piece of paper that comes with them. It makes an interesting read

They make interesting/worrying read for most meds. And they are in such small writing that most people don't bother.

On 08/03/2022 at 04:06, 2GOOD said:

I’ve had warning signs before & had been seen by the local rapid access chest pain clinic as recently as this January. End of January we had a co-vid outbreak at work & I tested positive early February, everyone else had a slight cold. My symptoms were Man-flu for a few days, started to feel better but still testing positive when I became breathless, so rang GP/visit GP/sent to Hospital & home some 12 hours later to rest. I’d had low blood/oxygen. 3-4 days later finally test negative, but don’t feel well, following day a high pulse as well. Co-vid ward follow up people call me & told to get myself back into hospital, oh & don’t drive yourself this time!

So back to Gloucester Royal, even though I was now negative I was told that I still needed to enter through the co-vid side of A&E but given my own room, loads of tests ecgs etc. plus a negative PCR test which is apparently unusual for someone who was just had it especially as their lab had tested me positive 5 days earlier. No chest pain, no arm pain but the right side of my neck & jaw was painful, pulse still 120/130 I’m normally 50ish & blood oxygen low again. So marker in my blood was now 39 compared with 21 5 days earlier. I was admitted, first night in the clothes I’d come in & in a hectic A&E ward, wired up & woken just about every time I’d managed to doze to check my blood pressure etc.

Followed by 4 nights in a couple of general wards which were awful & 7 nights in cardiology ward. Cardiology consultant suspected one thing, sent off me twice for Angiograms, the first time after hanging around all day in a gown unable to eat they ran out of time & sent me back to Cardiology, the following day I insisted on keeping my warmer clothing on until they were ready, I came away with three stents which wasn’t what the consultant was expecting at all, so discharged to recover & awaiting an MRI scan. Not allowed to drive for 7 days, that was up on Friday & signed off until the end of the month. I tested positive for Co-vid on the 2nd of Feb, so that’s two months off work 🙁

Hope you get through all of this Steve.

I was going to say, jokingly, that you should just go and talk to an anti-vaxxer as apparently it is all garbage.

Except it isn't.

36 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Hope you get through all of this Steve.

I was going to say, jokingly, that you should just go and talk to an anti-vaxxer as apparently it is all garbage.

Except it isn't.

Believe it or not my manager is one, but under pressure from his wife to not have it rather than of his own choice. Of course his wife got it & he did stay home the minute he knew but it looks like it was too late. We were only being asked to test every other day, not daily. We then all went down over the next week, I was one of the last but had had a sore throat despite testing negative