free hit
counters
Starter Motor failures - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Starter Motor failures

How many Evora owners have experienced starter motor failures ? 
I am on my 3rd in my 4 years of ownership !

my car is going on AA flat bed to my lotus garage I discussed the starter motor failure which they had apparently replaced less than 2 years old and my car done less than 10k 

so how many starter motor have failed and is there an issue with lotus part ?

should I ask for another brand of starter motor for the 4th one ?  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm on my 2nd starter unit, but 4th starter yoke. The brushes in the motor are a wear item, but typically last many years. One of the main reasons they tend to go bad sooner than later, is because of the chimney vent pipe that sits above the starter, and if you still have the OE cardboard tube covered in tin foil, it tends to crack and drip water directly on or around the starter, accelerating corrosion. 

Instead of replacing the starter as a whole, I would just pick up some extra yokes (also known as starter motor brush holders) from eBay, which are relatively cheap (~$10-$20USD last I checked). 

• Like 1

As this is my third failure in four years will these yoke failures be common in all three cases ? 
i looked at the unit yesterday and it’s most shiny part of the engine bay no signs of corrosion

my engine vent pipe is like many paint flaking but appears intact no damage but can’t say it drips water however my boot always been damp so water ingress could be a factor into engine bay ?  

As the car is now with lotus garage it’s in their hands 

I don’t know if the part has been reconditioned I assume from what they told me it was replaced so going on that premise three starter motors have failed in 4 years 

now if the starter motor hasn’t been changed and the solenoid has been just released by striking it then I have been mislead therefore the unit should had been replaced in first place?  

Most repair shops will stock or order whole parts only, as identified by the OE parts lists. Lotus does not break down the starter motor into separate part #s for its components, so it stands to reason they would order complete starter units, even for something as minor as bad brushes. 

14 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

now if the starter motor hasn’t been changed and the solenoid has been just released by striking it then I have been mislead therefore the unit should had been replaced in first place?  

If they've billed you for the supply and fit of a new starter motor that it what they would have done. Otherwise it would be fraud. 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yes, when my started motor failed Craig Moncrieff in Embra simple replaced the knackered unit with a new one. I think he has kept my old one so I can send away to one of these fast disappearing alternator/starter repair shops

47 minutes ago, Bibs said:

If they've billed you for the supply and fit of a new starter motor that it what they would have done. Otherwise it would be fraud. 

As I mentioned I was told it was replaced as I never received any bill or paperwork and I go on trust of someone who been given the job.

I now await the investigation into why the replaced unit failed &  hopefully a replacement unit is going to be installed. Maybe I have been just purely unlucky , says it all with my luck today we had briefing on possible redundancies needed to balance the books 😞

A main dealer not giving you an invoice is an issue. Why didn't they?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Don’t know ? I had my intake fitted few weeks ago and they didn’t invoice me I just paid on the card machine and got the little print of that ! They did say their computers were not working to be honest I didn’t chase as I got engrossed in my wedding arrangements last few weeks 

On 08/03/2022 at 20:56, Bibs said:

A main dealer not giving you an invoice is an issue. Why didn't they?

Well I finally got confirmation that my starter motor replacement can proceed via warranty 

lotus couldn’t find the last replacement paperwork and I didn’t get a copy see Bibs comment above 

I am trusting soul so work on that principle and thankfully all is going to be sorted and I thank Central Lotus for this 

hopefully there’s a starter motor in stock room which might mean car is ready this time next week ?

trying to sort out how my family can offer a room to Ukrainian family 🙏

• Love 1

• Gold FFM

When I got my starter motor replaced, it was mentioned that it's a relatively common fault so I think the Evora is at least a little more prone to starter motor issues. Yours does sound extreme though!

Annoyingly, it's a Lotus specific part as they modify the Toyota unit.

Personally, I always ask for a detailed printout of any work done on my cars. This goes in a folder with other pertinent items such as V5's, MOT's and receipts

It certainly makes a sale easier should/when you come to part it

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TdM said:

When I got my starter motor replaced, it was mentioned that it's a relatively common fault so I think the Evora is at least a little more prone to starter motor issues. Yours does sound extreme though!

Annoyingly, it's a Lotus specific part as they modify the Toyota unit.

I didn’t know it was specific to lotus ! 
all indication seem to point it was a standard Toyota part but I don’t know much when it comes to mechanical matters 

1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

I didn’t know it was specific to lotus ! 
all indication seem to point it was a standard Toyota part but I don’t know much when it comes to mechanical matters 

On 26/06/2019 at 14:51, Bibs said:

"Just as an FYI on this, my starter has gone today and I've ordered a new one from Lotus. Since the adapter plate is unique to the Evora, Lotus have to machine the starters so you can't use any alternatives."

Edited by Rambo
  • Like 1

I've been driving nearly 50 years and never experienced starter motor problems or replacement until I got the Evora last year. 

Same goes for the clutch - never had a replacement clutch in 50 years - but the previous owner of my Evora did 

So, either my driving is good or sedentary or there are problems with early Lotus Evora's and starter motors and clutches

My driving can be described as infrequent and sedentary so maybe this accounts for 3 starter motor failures in 4 years ? Lol 

even my lotus garage told me they can count on one hand the number of starter motor changed over all modern lotus cars in the last 10 years 

so I am statistical very unlucky ? 😳

Or is there some odd with my car that even my lotus technician can’t root out ? 

What are the symptoms you are getting with all of these failed starters?

Are you sure that they have failed?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Turn on the ignition. Click. Nothing else. Just like a dead battery which was my first thought as it was also dead. Charged up battery again with a full charge. Still nothing. Tried a booster pack but still no joy

I then left the car for several days and then tried again. Click. Nothing else. And the battery was discharged again too so I suspected that the starter motor was/had been causing parasitic battery discharge before failure

New starter motor and the car starts 1st turn