free hit
counters
964 Turbo vs Lotus Esprit S4S ? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

964 Turbo vs Lotus Esprit S4S ?

Hello, I'm in the market for a new toy. I'm torn between these two cars. Does anyone know how the Lotus compares to the 964 turbo in straight-line performance, handling and reliability?

Also how long does an average S4S engine\gearbox last at stock boost? How much boost can it safely handle on pump gas without sacrificing longevity much and what hp levels can be expected? What are the S4S' weak points, if any?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

Also how long does an average S4S engine\gearbox last at stock boost? How much boost can it safely handle on pump gas without sacrificing longevity much and what hp levels can be expected? What are the S4S' weak points, if any?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, no idea about the 964 except the S4s will out handle most things. Don't know about straight line power.

One thing I will be fairly confident in saying is that they will be completely different cars to DRIVE - as driving experience I will put money on it that the Esprit will be more engaging and just plain more 'fun' even if it does turn out that the Porker has more straight line welly.

<< Just done a Google on the 964 - the quoted 0-60 time was 4.9secs. Top speed 170. S4s is 4.6 - Esprit is *slightly* quicker but that sort of difference is negligible. Top speed 168 - I KNOW that's cobblers! :blink: >>

Gearbox and engine? ...Depends on how you drive it doesn't it? If you were driving like a moron I am sure you could blow the gearbox up in a morning. If you drive sympathetically to the gearbox (that does not mean drive like a granny however) then the two as stock should last you well over 100k miles.

Reliability? LOADS of people use them as Daily Drives. The more you use them the better they get for reliability. Obey your servicing *religiously* and drive it regularly. Make absolutely certain you buy a GOOD ONE to start with or forever hold your wallet. Unless you're already an Esprit afficionado, get it INDEPENDENTLY checked out before you commit to buying or you deserve what you get! ;) Read the LEW buyers guide and then all the rest of the website ...and Esprit Fact File too. Read back through the topics here (and in newbies) for other advice on buying an Esprit and then ask us when you have found one you like to see if we know it (there's a 50/50 chance we will!)

The GT3 is well worth looking at too but that will need a chip and the usual engine mods to keep you happy.

There are several chips you can put in an S4s.. The furthest I personally would use is the one that goes up to 300 bhp (ish)

There is one that will do 330 but unless you get a lot of other things done to help the engine imho you're asking for trouble with that one - as one moron I know proved when he blew his engine to bits just months after fitting it without doing everything else necessary :) (eg bov, zorst, filter, 360 bearing, head gasket? improve cooling? etc etc etc)

Having said that there are remarkable things that can be done with Esprit engines - Just take a look at the "Red Sonia" thread where Nick has put a 450bhp 2.2L engine into his GT3. You can actually feel it *bending* space!! :)

You remember that scene in Star Wars in the Millenium Falcon where all the stars turn into lines?!?! ;)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

There are several chips you can put in an S4s.. The furthest I personally would use is the one that goes up to 300 bhp (ish)

There is one that will do 330 but unless you get a lot of other things done to help the engine imho you're asking for trouble with that one - as one moron I know proved when he blew his engine to bits just months after fitting it without doing everything else necessary :blink: (eg bov, zorst, filter, 360 bearing, head gasket? improve cooling? etc etc etc)

Thanks, so 300hp is the most you can get safely? Does this also apply to the S4S since it's already rated at 300hp?

Thanks, so 300hp is the most you can get safely? Does this also apply to the S4S since it's already rated at 300hp?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, as you said. The S4s had 300bhp anyway. Until 10 months ago, I had 2 of them that I was running as every day cars at the same time. Super reliable and great fun.

On the one that I still have, I have the 350bhp chip, high flow exhaust with the EBPV cut out, and K&N. On a cold evening, it was dynoed at 361bhp. No reliability issues, the car puts out perfect compression test results, everything functions perfectly, etc.

The cars are very reliable and a ot lof fun, but you have to maintain them correctly. At the first sign that something is a miss, you have to get it fixed, don't wait around.

My Bad I was thinking of 310bhp - Chip #4 being as far as I would suggest without lots of work...

...and then chip #5 - 330bhp as the one to get once you had decatted, etc etc etc

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

My Bad I was thinking of 310bhp - Chip #4 being as far as I would suggest without lots of work...

...and then chip #5 - 330bhp as the one to get once you had decatted, etc etc etc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. Now you got me thinking. I've never been a fan of outta-the-box cookie-cutter programs. S4's and S4s' use a GM 'puter right? I think that with some data logging software to help you see what's going on with your KR, EGT's, timing, injector duty cycles ect, you could easily burn a custom chip. Now the question is, without fuel starvation and detonation, how much hp can a stock bottom end handle?

Also does Lotus use forged pistons and crank? Is the Lotus engine a MAF (mass air flow) or MAP (manifold air press)?

My friend is running 450 bhp in his Esprit! That has had a LOT of work done on it and is far from a slightly modified stock engine! Bottom end though I THINK is pretty much normal though!

Mahler Chrome topped Forged pistons and Nikasil Liners

I am sensible and have carburettors but I have heard the ZX81 owners talkign aobut MAP and MAT sensors? (they will be able to answer that properly)

Those aren't really cookie cutter chips - They have been developed by Marcus - PUK who is VERY well respected in the Esprit community as knowing what he is doing and for being a reputable / honourable trader.

See

LEW

For more info on the chips.