free hit
counters
Dry sump restart - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dry sump restart

Put dry sump engine back in the car yesterday so in the coming days I will be trying to restart the car.  New oil will go in obviously but want to be sure there is nothing particularly specific I need to do as the separate oil tank will be filled.  Im assuming the new oil will naturally drain to the pump/lower half of the engine so starting/first turn over will be quite safe.  I guess I could pull the main HT lead to stop the spark so oil is distributed before there is any possibility of the engine actually starting.  Many thanks for any advice.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Phil, I've recently had my dry sump engine and gearbox rebuild by Mike at Lotusbits and I asked him the same restart question of removing spark and fuel and turn engine over until pressure built up. He said no, just start it, oil pressure will come up in a few seconds with the increased engine speed and will be fine. I did this and within about 2-3 seconds I had good oil pressure. Just passing on what he told me. Good luck.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve.  So just fill the tank.  let it drain to the bottom and start it?

Yes that's what I was told by Mike. Oil presuure came up really quickly but also would surely have had some assembly lube on the bearings from the rebuild. Has yours been sitting idle for a while? If so I'd defer to the engine experts on the forum. I'm just passing on what I was told in my situation. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

Thank you.  Maybe Ill call Gerald Turner in the morning at GST also.

• Like 2