free hit
counters
Emira 4 Cylinder - AMG M139 - Page 2 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira 4 Cylinder - AMG M139

Pugwash

10 minutes ago, cobwatch said:

The i4 has huge potential. Renntech released details of a 592hp (600ps), upgrade a while ago. No internal changes to the engine but modifications to the exhaust and turbo.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/renntech-tunes-mercedes-amg-a-45-s-4matic-to-600-ps-140282.html

So may be at some point there could be la limited version Emira I4 GT600 to take the crown of the Evora GT430??. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If the base model price will be fixed at £60k + options I think I may Wait a few months. The Base spec is pretty decent. 
Base + heated seats, front parking sensors and a decent paint job can’t be more than £65k surely?

I’m keeping my 410 exige so I can’t go crazy!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, cobwatch said:

The i4 has huge potential. Renntech released details of a 592hp (600ps), upgrade a while ago. No internal changes to the engine but modifications to the exhaust and turbo.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/renntech-tunes-mercedes-amg-a-45-s-4matic-to-600-ps-140282.html

I suspect there will be some cooling challenges in the Emira - but right there is the potential of that engine. Figures beyond fantasy for the v6 arrangement.

Only here once

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, E1M2I3R4A said:

Do the i4 and V6 first editions come with the same options? Wondering why i4 is £12k over base and V6 £11k over base. Or have I just got my sums wrong?

Possibly ADAS on the i4 FE?  Isn't on the V6 FE and was previously said it would be on future variants.  I can't find anything on the Lotus website to confirm either way.  They may have dropped it from the i4 FE due to chip shortages or cost, but I think some of it will be a legislative requirement by the time the i4 is delivered.

• Thanks 1

Understand what you are saying in reference to tuning but you can bet your bottom dollar that Lotus will suddenly unleash a 400+ Version with no doubt little effort and a hefty price increase. This all about the marketing and leaving plenty of head room to bring out a faster version. If everyone at Lotus that was quizzed said it was easy to tune they would be potentially cutting off their nose for when they release future versions.

• Like 1

Future wish list - Exige V6

On the 8th.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, Mctaff said:

I imagine the manual V6 has got to be slower than the auto, and no figures are formally published yet... do you think we'll see a V6 auto that's a little faster than the i4, and the manual similar or a little slower?

Not unless they are going to put out a DCT v6 I suspect (or give it more power). As I understand it, the V6 is having the same gearbox options as the Evora (tweaked I'm sure).

The DCT difference is definitely worth a fair chunk of time weight figures are probably relatively similar 0.3-0.5s difference I guess DCT vs manual. The launch is probably slightly better on the DCT as well. I would want to drive both to feel the difference rather than the numbers. I suspect the turbo will make it feel pretty rapid no matter drag strip times.

Oh, the standard auto is as slow as a manual change?! What’s the point then? I don’t like autos much anyway but a slow one would just be annoying!

On 16/03/2022 at 16:01, 390ja said:

I had a feeling the i4 might be close on performance since I heard the subframe was steel on the v6 and ally on the i4. Didn’t think it would turn out like that though.

There are going to be some very  serious i4’s when people, (or lotus..) tinker with them.

The only performance published it the 60 time which is 0.1 quicker, but it’s on a DCT so it will be quicker to 60, the shift is faster. There’s more to it than the 60 time.

I totally agree there’s more to it than the 0-60. But the top speed is within a few mph too, the i4 is also lighter, so it stands to reason it might be more nimble.

I’m not fanboying either model, just curious to see how it’s panning out and do feel the i4 has a few tricks up it’s sleeve yet to come. 
I’m a big fan of manual cars but also enjoy snapping through the gears on a dual clutch box.
I’m still very undecided which emira I’ll be settling on, if at all..

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
38 minutes ago, Mctaff said:

Oh, the standard auto is as slow as a manual change?! What’s the point then? I don’t like autos much anyway but a slow one would just be annoying!

The standard auto on the Evora, which will I assume be the same box on the Emira, possibly further tuned (they used the same auto on launch Evora 12 years ago and have tuned down the shift time dramatically since), is significantly quicker than a manual change already.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

21 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The standard auto on the Evora, which will I assume be the same box on the Emira, possibly further tuned (they used the same auto on launch Evora 12 years ago and have tuned down the shift time dramatically since), is significantly quicker than a manual change already.

ok, so I'm thinking the 4.3 to 60 figure is for the v6 manual - most will be manuals, so I assume that is the figure they will have released - hence a v6 auto will be quicker than the i4, if you were so inclined.

it sounds like there are lots of future tuning opportunities for the i4... can the manual handle more power if someone chose to tune the v6?

Edited by Mctaff

• Gold FFM

The V6 manual box is capable of more yes, 500bhp is absolute max I believe without internal upgrades, the real issue with the IPS box on the V6 is, iirc, it is torque limited. Plenty of information on here for you to research to find out the facts.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM
On 16/03/2022 at 20:20, Denno said:

Really need to see the options price list on the base car to see what I’d realistically be paying for what I’d actually want to spec! I’d estimate  it would be under £70k but would be nice to be able to make an informed decision. Lotus seem very reluctant to give us all the information we should have by now to make the choice.

That's my feeling too.

It's an every day car for me, so I'd forgo the forged wheels for the cast etc. So I want to know the option list before locking in an i4 FE.

• Like 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

On 16/03/2022 at 21:21, cobwatch said:

All a question of how much lag you want in a sports car. Bit of a miss if the turbo kicks in too hard mid corner.

• Like 2

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

12 hours ago, TBD said:

All a question of how much lag you want in a sports car. Bit of a miss if the turbo kicks in too hard mid corner.

I hear that, my other car is a chipped 944 turbo. The throttle is an on/off switch, with a 5 second delay thrown in for good measure..

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mercedes-amg-m139-four-cylinder-416-hp/

AMG's engineers didn't stop there. They gave the M139 a highly efficient (and expensive) dual ball-bearing, twin-scroll turbo. This has the effect of increasing turbo responsiveness and eliminating the laggy feel that you'd typically expect in such a heavily turbocharged engine.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Manufacturers have been banging on about eliminating lag with every new generation of turbocharged car since the early 1980s. I’ve had models from the early 80s, late 80s, early 90s, late 90s, right up to the present day. In all cases, you just need to avoid bogging down the revs to ensure rapid progress.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

What everyone seems to be forgetting is the i4 is an auto. A decently programmed ECU will ensure that turbo keeps spooling and its in the correct gear to ensure its always going nicely. 
Bogging down has always been an issue for turbo cars when folks are scared of using the revs and are in the wrong gear.

Only here once