free hit
counters
Rear tow strap / bracket question - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear tow strap / bracket question

• Gold FFM

A quick question for anybody who has fitted or knows about the rear tow bracket installation.

The kit is basically the bracket itself (item 2) and the 'nut plates' (items 4 & 5)

https://www.bellandcolvill.co.uk/deroure?qs=1&preview=1&make=1&model=42&groupid=11553

Is there a specific reason why 'nut plates' are used rather than individual nuts? The only thing I can think of is to due with access issues, meaning that holding the nuts while tightening would be too difficult, whereas the nut plate will hold itself once both bolts are loosely threaded inside. 

I'm thinking of doing this, so any experiences / thoughts are welcomed. 

Thanks. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Hi Paul.

Yeah the nut plates make the job easier, as it's a bit buried in the subframe.  You could probably make it work with nuts and washers if you really wanted to.

Some cars aren't pre-drilled, but most of the later ones usually are.

Dave

Would it not be 2a, 3, 4 and 5? thats for the cup 380/430.

Think there was another thread on here somewhere and they also talked about getting the correct rear diffuser grille B138U0271F although for the price you could probably just take a dremel to your existing one.

• Gold FFM

@tactical lizard

I assumed that the hole locations were the same on 2 and 2a, and if you're retrofitting it you can basically just choose which orientation you prefer. I'm not sure why, but the horizontal strap 380/430 cup part number doesn't seem to come up in any searches to buy. (Deroure says 'contact us' under price) The kits from other suppliers all seem to have the vertical version too.

Yep, I was definitely planning on just modifying my existing grill rather than pay for a new one. 

Part 3 (the actual strap) I believe is a TRS one. Those are available cheaper elsewhere, as well as having a choice of colours. https://www.rivalmotorsport.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=TRS+Fixed+Tow+Strap

1 hour ago, DH2 said:

Yeah the nut plates make the job easier, as it's a bit buried in the subframe.  You could probably make it work with nuts and washers if you really wanted to.

Some cars aren't pre-drilled, but most of the later ones usually are.

Cheers Dave. I'm not exactly tight, but £50 each for the nut plates seemed a bit unnecessary if normal nuts and washers will do the job!

Yea I think you have assumed correctly, It should be identical.  I thought you may have been trying to go for the Cup 430 look with the horizontal strap, but if you're happy with the vertical look then no issues. I would like the horizontal one though, guess I'll have to contact them and ask nicely.

Thanks for the link I'll definitely get a cheaper strap when I get around to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

@XZG420

I made the engineering decision that both right hand bolts (when looking from the rear) and the bottom left hand bolt would be sufficient. I gave up trying to get the top left hand bolt in, as it was looking like it was going to start raining. I may or may not try again at some point. If the car is in such a state that it needs to be pulled with enough force to break that fixing arrangement then it's probably completely shagged anyway! 

Do you have any concerns that using the strap on any kind of angle (up/down, left/right) might foul on the grill and in turn put pressure on the diffuser finisher which in my case is carbon fibre. I'm picturing getting yanked out of the sand on an angle and cracking the back of the car

• Gold FFM

It did cross my mind. I sat they pulling the strap at different angles to see how much force it might apply. 

I came to the conclusion that it would probably be ok assuming that they weren’t try to use it at a very extreme angle. 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 15:45, XZG420 said:

I'm trying to do this right now with the nut plates and it's painful with restricted access.

Did people trim the heat shield a bit to not foul on the passenger side bolt heads?

I read that people remove one bolt of the heat shield and then bend the heat shield a bit. I will fit it next week 

Edited by cuprapw