free hit
counters
Excel Manifold Replacement - tips & tricks - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Excel Manifold Replacement - tips & tricks

Hi all, I knew I had a couple of holes in my exhaust, but now discovered that very probably have a leak in the exhaust manifold also :-(. Will know for sure once on a ramp when we can check properly. Not that experienced myself, but will tackle with my brother who has plenty - albeit not with Lotus's. 

Can anyone point me to any help / tips and tricks? Is it and engine out job, or can it be done in situ?

Ps..I have a 1988 Excel

Edited by StevoExl
Grammar

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The manifold is notoriously difficult to remove - corrosion of and restricted access to the studs being the issues.  If you can get the down pipes off and then undo the n/s engine mount and raise the n/s of the engine that will help.  Dig out your dictionary of expletives!!  😉  The later (like yours) manifolds crack much less often than the earlier ones though.  However - once you get it off you may find you need to perform a bit of surgery on the three studs at the bottom of the manifold - they sometimes shear off and need drilling out/replacing.  Let us know how you get on.

Pete

Thank you very much Pete....will take your advice on the expletives 😂. My fingers are crossed that it's ok, but my brother had his stethoscope out and is convinced he can hear it blowing. 

Cheers

Steve

• 4 months later...

Talking of those 3 studs at the bottom, how on earth did they ever tighten them originally? if I'm lucky I can turn the single nut at the back a quarter of a turn at a time. Did they have a special tool or adapted tool or tighten it before the body went on?

I can't be the only person to have difficulty with this but I expect it's a case of undoing each nut a little bit at a time, but I can't help thinking someone must have come up with some sort of tool albeit a bent spanner or similar.

I welcome any constructive hacks or hints

Think yourself lucky, the early Esprit Turbo manifolds were far worse for access.

This isn't going to help with removal but Ford studs (which have a Torx end) and associated copper nuts are a much better solution for putting it back together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andydclements said:

Think yourself lucky, the early Esprit Turbo manifolds were far worse for access.

This isn't going to help with removal but Ford studs (which have a Torx end) and associated copper nuts are a much better solution for putting it back together.

Andy, have you a link for the Ford bits? @andydclements