free hit
counters
Ukraine family sponsor - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Ukraine family sponsor

Cdm2018

I thought I might create a slightly off shoot but in my mind separate topic for any folk on this forum who are actively trying to house any Ukrainian families or citizens ?

my family are in process and are trying overcome the many obstacles and frustrations involved.

so maybe we can share any helpful hints or experiences?

• Love 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

We discussed it but with just one spare room that my 2 grandkids use and 2 autistic sons back at home, it wouldn't be fair on all those concerned.

I have been giving a lot to a local guy who has been doing trips out in 2 mini buses with Aid and coming back with Women and Children refugees. That way I know its being used right.

His last post was awful as he has now physically seen the after effects of Russian occupation and decided to stay out there to help. 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Tony

not everyone can do it we as a family looked at our set up and as we had a double bed and a box room used as a changing room spare so we thought it can be used to home two people so it was set in motion 

we have been sensible including installing a safe and that’s not being disrespectful to our guests but it was sensible thing to avoid any unnecessary confusion ? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, march said:

Has anyone actually managed to bring anyone over yet?

From what I have seen in press some Uk based Ukraine families had managed to get their family members over but regarding the sponsorship scheme I am afraid this country’s record is nothing to shout about !  

I have learned today my Ukraine lady and her grandson don’t want to make the dangerous journey until the visa is confirmed otherwise she might end up in limbo at the border or close to it ! 

Yes it's not good here. We are now unable to house a family as we were hoping so we are going to help financially families that are accommodated locally but none have arrived yet despite many people being willing to put them up. It's all a bit of a mess.

Edited by march

My son, had his Home Office check online the other day, and the local council check is due early next week. I cannot imagine what the council will make of his place as it is a tip, he has started doing various works in the house, and does not finish them. He bought the house around 18 months go and it is a shambles.

It seems for the home office rules, that the Ukrainian family member needs to have their own bedroom so would not be OK to actually live in the 1 bedroom flat that her daughter (who is from Ukraine and has been a student in the UK for years) rents. So for clerical reasons, my son will be living with the daughter, with the mother living in his house. But in the real world the mother will be on the sofa bed with the daughter. Its complicated...

My stepson picks up his Ukrainian a lady in late 40’s from Manchester airport today. They have a spare bedroom however they not even had a whisper from their local council about home check ?

I have just completed my DBS checks as we are housing a child and they failed to recognise there is a two adults living in the house so I had to create a table document to answer the base questions

the home check is still outstanding but I suspect the families when they eventually get here the checks will follow after which could throw up issues ?   

My son had his visit from the  local council yesterday evening, all they seemed interested in was the size of the bedroom  which she won't actually be living in (see above about the mother actually going to live with her daughter in a 1 bed flat.....)

The house has 3 bedrooms, only 1 bed, the other 2 rooms being a shambles of stuff.

They said that it was better than most places they have been to !!!.

My son moved into this house well over a year ago and has even lost the screws for the wardrobe doors , so they have still not been fitted back on.

Why didn’t he just buy new screws? Or is he trying to keep everything original?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I have completed my DBS application and my wife & son later today.

we have council house inspection tomorrow but all this is thrashed by the slow visa process ! 
despite writing to our MP daily who is now on Easter holidays our visa application is still in the computer so we are no wiser

deeply frustrating as our Ukraine family are not wanting to travel until the visa is confirmed ! Chicken and egg situation  

I just can’t imagine dealing with what these people are going through. What do you do when everything you had is gone?

Must admit to being astonished that the UN ambassador from Russia is even allowed to speak. Hopefully they are getting it all on record. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

54 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Why didn’t he just buy new screws? Or is he trying to keep everything original?

Just can't get round to doing it. So many other things started. Each time we see him, we ask him has he found the screws yet..

@Cdm2018 - Clive are they out of Ukraine (sitting in Poland or similar) waiting for the visa to be processed, or still inside Ukraine?

9 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

@Cdm2018 - Clive are they out of Ukraine (sitting in Poland or similar) waiting for the visa to be processed, or still inside Ukraine?

Still in Ukraine Chris

they are afraid of train journey due to air raids and apparently there’s a brisk trade in mini buses but the people operating these are shady ! Dam even in that area people are trying to make money but that’s desperation ? 

On 07/04/2022 at 19:13, march said:

Has anyone actually managed to bring anyone over yet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-61078465 posted today...

implies 1 family in and 1 more coming on Saturday.  So must be a few arrived by now.

A family has offered their second home in Devon to two Ukrainian families.

Jane and John McCready, who live in London, have welcomed one family into their home in Woolacombe, with a second to be housed in the annex from Saturday.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2022 at 08:48, exeterjeep said:

see above about the mother actually going to live with her daughter in a 1 bed flat.....)

Apparently the mother has now got a visa to come to the UK, but we don't know how long it will take to get to the UK. So it looks as if this should be the last step in the process.

That’s good news 

we are still waiting been emailing our MP daily 

met up last night with the extended family of our intended Ukraine family they were lovely people , the dad of the young lady who lives locally had been taken by Russian soldiers last Tuesday and now missing , a real worrying time for that family 😞

Dovercourt woman's bid to house Ukrainian family in caravan rejected

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-61127404

A woman said she was "shocked" to be told she could not house a family of Ukrainian refugees in her fully-furnished, heated static caravan.

Alison Bird had offered the two-bedroom caravan in Dovercourt, Essex, to a family of four who are squatting in a single room in Turkey.

But officials said it was not suitable due to the seasonal nature of caravans and restrictions on year-round occupancy.

Some ‘rules’ just do not make sense in times like this. 

Just heard confirmation in last 10 mins that the grandmother we are looking to sponsor has finally received her visa clearance !
My wife was on local radio yesterday and gave a rousing assessment on how poor this Home Office system has been , however the young boy the grandson is still not confirmed which means these desperate people still staying in their bunker until they have confirmed visas 

at last some light glimmers in the distance ? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Ukrainian family had left central region but it’s seems the Russians have been attacking the train stations and routes in the last 24 hours 😥

hopefully they will all make safely to Polish border by Tuesday early morning ?🙏

• Like 1