free hit
counters
Joining the fold (and colours) - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Joining the fold (and colours)

TBD

So it looks like I'm joining the exclusive Lotus Esprit Owners Club. Just won the bidding for  a 1996 Esprit V8  on Catawiki.

The interior looks ace and the engine has had a full rebuild just a few years ago, so I'm hopeful she will fulfill my dreams. The paint seems dead, so a complete respray will be necessary. And, the wheels definitively need a refurbishment.

Which brings up the question of which colour to go for. The car is in dark green, which I don't really like. This leaves the following colours in my selection (whereby I'm mostly thinking about modern colours):

• Aspen White - always elegant, but probably not right for the white interior
  • Artic Silver - equally elegant, but always a bit bland
  • Flame Red - I do love the Renault Flame Red, but red justs calls for Ferrari misidentification
  • Motorsport Green - I like the gold / green shine, but it may be too bright for the Esprit
  • Motorsport Black - As on my EX460. I love it, but it is a dust magnet
  • Copper Fire - My name is Bond, James Bond - just an idea right now as I have never seen it in the flesh. 

I'm also thinking about wrapping the car instead of painting. It does open a completely different world of colours (including matt), has the advantage of simple repair of stone chips (and intrinsic PPF properties) and does keep the original colour below.

Recommendations?

Oh, and I'm sure I will be coimg back with many more questions once I get my hands around the car.

IMG_20220413_223205.jpg

IMG_20220413_223330.jpg

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow, congratulations Thomas. Obvs the original colour would be ideal but you know I'm a fan of MSG! A wrap is a good idea though, a decent respray on an Esprit would be kicking five figures I'd guess nowadays. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Congratulations on joining the Esprit club :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, TBD said:

The paint seems dead

Would a proper detailing bring the paint back to life - @Greg | ValetPro

• Like 1

Just now, ChrisJ said:

Congratulations on joining the Esprit club :thumbsup:

Would a proper detailing bring the paint back to life - @Greg | ValetPro

I don't think so. The photos show the clearcoat peeling off.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Thought? These are some renders on a 3d model in Fusion 360. Somehow the Motorsport green just doesn't cut it for me on the Esprit. 

In honor of @Suddabym I'm leaning towards the championship gold. 

Lotus Esprit V8 black.png

Lotus Esprit V8 v10 red.png

Lotus Esprit V8 v9.png

Lotus Esprit V8 v10 green.png

• Like 1

And yet I’m leaning to that last one - shiny green with gold wheels. Very in right now. 

Although, I mean… gold, right?

• Haha 1

Sudders and Dany

Nice looking steering wheel as well.

I presume it's an airbag wheel?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

The actual wheel is black. This is just from the 3d file

On 14/04/2022 at 19:55, TBD said:

IMG_20220413_223330.jpg

So this is not the real steering wheel?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Yes, that one is. I thought you meant the colour schemes

:thumbsup:

On 20/04/2022 at 12:58, Suddabym said:

And yet I’m leaning to that last one - shiny green with gold wheels. Very in right now. 

Although, I mean… gold, right?

Maybe I'll have to reconsider the Motorsport Green. It probably depends a lot on the accents.

BTW: the car should be at Komo-tec end of next week. Hopefully the first look won't be a nightmare.

Lotus Esprit V8 v18.png

• Like 1

I am biased because my car is dark green, but I like it as it is... Otherwise I would probably go with copper, which I think would suit nicely the light interior. Nice problems you have. 😉