free hit
counters
Koenissiegg factory - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Koenissiegg factory

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

He is so far in front of any other car manufacturer. What a factory

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

The design, the tech, the quality control and the attention to detail that they put into these cars is mind boggling.  Their adding of lightness would impress CABC.  You can  certainly see how they can justify the $3million price tag of the Jenko.

However, I do wonder how many of their customers understand, appreciate or even care about any of the above.  Ultimately what they want is supercar looks, stunning performance and handling, along with exclusivity.  Which makes me appreciate, in comparison, what an absolute bargain a Lotus is!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@Redwing spot on reference Lotus being a bargain. The very essence of ACBC principle was to bring lightweight and precision handling to the masses (and to make money to go racing himself 🙂).

The frankly pathetic drone of ignorant journalists and car enthusiasts who are too dim witted to comprehend the joys of low mass is staggering. 

We were blessed that Lotus Cars produced such wundercars for so many many years. Hopefully a lot more is to come....... hopefully.

Justin  

• Like 1

Why? Where I work have produced them for the Mustang, Ferrari 488 Pista, Ford GT and now the new Corvette.

The wheels they are producing are lighter than alloy equivalents and the carbon wheels are stronger.

Why do you say that carbon wheels are not for road cars?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Because you can't repair them. But more importantly, you can't tell how deep or severe any damage may be and the wheel could fail at speed. So any damage means a new wheel at considerable cost. 

A totally ridiculous situation for a road car when the noticeable difference in driver enjoyment over a metal wheel will be negligible.

Gordon Murray Automotive don't spec them for road cars. 

Justin 

What sort of repair are you talking about?

Why is Gordon Murray such an authority on carbon rims?

The lighter you can make your car, the better range you will get be it ICE or electric.

With electric becoming more and more prevalent, lightness is going to play a major role.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

• Gold FFM

Gordon Murray is obsessed with lightweight. The T.50 weighs 980kg with metal wheels. If he thought carbon wheels made sense on a road car, he'd spec them, it's not as if his cars have a budget constraint.

Gordon adores carbon fibre but only where it's function is fully served. It should not be used for show or for impracticality on road cars. 

Justin

• Like 1

Probably also similar reasons that we don't use magnesium on road cars, they can be a hazard and deteriorate over time. CF may be stronger but body panels have to be protected from UV degradation. I wonder what the expected life span of a CF wheel is and how it needs to be certified/monitored. Strength and lightness are good but just like gr 8 hardware is sometimes not desirable as it may be stronger, it may be more prone to failure by fracture and not deformation as lesser hardware might. CF when it does fail on impact or for other reasons, can be, shall we say, more spectacular. At least an alloy wheel may deform and still hold air on a kerb or pothole impact which could fracture CF.

Plenty of examples on the internets. This was probably a fun ride...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/nycstripes/2003%20Suzuki%20TL1000R/Beaverun%20April%202006/IMG_2300.jpg

• Gold FFM

340R has magnesium wheels from factory (or should have, only UK got them). 43,000 miles on, still good but car is garaged and has limited use in poor weather.

It will interesting to see whether carbon fibre wheels become a norm on supercars or even less exotic wagons. I'll take my cue from GMA in the meantime.

Justin 

• Like 1

Ford Mustang 350

Ford GT

Chevrolet Corvette

Ferrari 488 Pista

To name a few.

https://www.carbonrev.com

• 4 weeks later...

The cycle industry went through a "carbon is fragile" phase about 15 years ago, now there are no concerns on its strength people just buy what ever fits their budget.  Carbon cycles are far more repairable than a aluminium alloy frame, sure many people can weld Alu but not many can heat treat it so usually Alu frames are scrapped.  The whole metal deforms while carbon shatters is also not an issue for cycles; carbon bikes will take much greater force before they eventually fail compared to a dent on an Alu frame and many times the bike should be not be ridden with the dent.  

Not saying those concerns for road car wheels are not valid and I understand that a cycle frame and car wheel have totally different uses etc... Just that technology moves on and new stuff finds a way to make things better.

@ramjet do you make them in correct size for an Evora?  If you need real world daily driver testing for them,  I'll happily test them out on my Evora! 😉 

I have no idea who CRs is talking to worldwide. Even when they do get a customer, the wheels are talked about using a codename. They might have and I wouldn't know.