free hit
counters
Another Esprit GT3 back on the road soon... - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Another Esprit GT3 back on the road soon...

Sparky

• Gold FFM

Yup, there's an issue!  News at 11....

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I'll go into detail presently, as it's a worthwhile precautionary tale and @Red is OK with sharing it.  However, the story doesn't end there.  More later...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Don't forget to tune in to our next exciting episode of The Esprit Whisperer!

And now, a message from our sponsor...

• Gold FFM

I just knew I could count on you.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Well, I'm drinkin' in the garden.

So, one pic to kick things off...

PXL_20220504_141650639.thumb.jpg.46e64b05712ce07c08501cbedff88230.jpg

I can't recall if this is a difference between the Powermaster and Ian's setup, or I just forgot because you do when projects run for years, but...

The bracket should attach to the front of the clutch master cylinder, not the rear. In tightening it down I've bent it and put the whole setup a little off. The pic shows it a lot clearer than when you're craning your head over the wings, but I cocked up.

Waiting to hear Sparkys full opinion on it like the rest of you.

There's more fun that I'll leave for him to regale. It's not a dull service!

• Like 1

Is your seatbelt on? I want to try something

* It’s worth pointing out that my £200 fee is a heavily discounted rate for ABS deletion consultancy services between the Watford Exotics group of companies.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Onwards and upwards to the MoT & Backhander Emporium.

469262737_WhatsAppImage2022-05-05at7_11.54PM(9).thumb.jpeg.9f6ffcf4e5fc25871311a7a96374e8c0.jpeg

Only 2 failures.  The first: O/S number plate light.  A curious mess inside, but with a seemingly new bulb.  Also seemingly unobtainium, unless anyone knows better?  It certainly isn't the pre-1998 item listed by SJ, although I could fettle wiring/contacts.  The RR original is expensive.

1493774439_WhatsAppImage2022-05-05at7_11.54PM(3).thumb.jpeg.062905ee39243f2713ba44a2c2222e54.jpeg

1807502669_WhatsAppImage2022-05-05at7_11.54PM(2).thumb.jpeg.c5a71865c3fe6880e0cbd91b993c6ebc.jpeg

And then, emissions.  Ferk me.  I believe I've never seen the numbers go that high on a managed engine.  Lambda was above the analyser's ability to measure it, and CO was around 6%.  Spent almost an hour on the ramp putting it through various conditions but no cigar.  It's been stationary for 7 years, so prior to MoT I'd replaced the old fuel and given it a good thrash, but to no avail.  I'm informed it's got one of those red 'race' chips that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.  An enormous amount of fuel is entering the exhaust.

Took it home and decided to whip off the cat which, it transpires, is an echo chamber.  No surprise there.

1921749902_WhatsAppImage2022-05-05at7_11.54PM(8).thumb.jpeg.7969f80a95fa2bc0d3700d8fe991aa89.jpeg

So, new cat and O2 sensor ordered, as what's the point in changing only one of them?  The O2 wasn't having any, so I cut the thing down and went at it with my trusty Milwaukee Peacemaker (did I mention my Milwaukee tools?).  So now Red has a handy decat pipe!  Although I frown on such things.1343701854_WhatsAppImage2022-05-05at7_11.54PM(6).thumb.jpeg.3ad8aaccdaf4c0692f6af041d45af9ad.jpeg

1969126729_WhatsAppImage2022-05-05at7_11.54PM(5).thumb.jpeg.d0a6f01b50ba9d9b82c0e6816496d781.jpeg

1447153498_WhatsAppImage2022-05-05at7_11.54PM(4).thumb.jpeg.58554956f6d9f19df554123bd34eff7e.jpeg

PNM will be fabricating the cat.  Now we wait to see the numbers.  And play silly buggers with a dodgy number plate light unit...

• Like 2

I have a little task this weekend to replace an Excel side repeater where thee metal has rusted but the bulb still illuminates, you could use that method (bodge). It involves soldering the wires directly to the bulb's terminals.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

At my first/last MOT with mine the tester pointed out that my numberplate lights were working but very dim. When I took them off to replace the bulbs both lenses cracked upon removal. I ended up replacing mine with a pair of these @Sparky

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163585968171

The opening in numberplate plinth needed opening up a touch with the dremel to get it to fit, but the hole centres were the same as the original unobtanium parts from the factory.

• Thanks 1

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

I would not put a new catalytic convertor and lambda sensor on until the emissions results are close to reasonable for a non-cat vehicle. Remove the chip and see the effect of that first.

The number plate light is still available but silly money at almost £50.

https://www.flyingspares.com/rear-number-plate-lamp-ud72016.html

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Derek, I do tend to agree, but as far as I'm concerned a decat is just plain wrong (some will argue against that) and will become more and more difficult to swing through MoTs as time progresses.  It's on the plan to take a look at the ECU whilst awaiting the new cat, but knowing my luck it's been butchered in.  Also, @internets can burn a proper chip if necessary/viable.

• Gold FFM

Understood and appreciated!  i did persuade it down to something far more sensible after a relearn and high idle, but still Lambda of around 2 and CO well over 1%, so hopefully shouldn't cause a problem.

• Gold FFM

These voyages of discovery continue to present themselves..