free hit
counters
Which one is the coolant filler ("header tank")? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Which one is the coolant filler ("header tank")?

Pretty sure it's this container at the rear right engine compartment whose cap reads, "TURN DOWN TIGHT - AC - REMOVE SLOWLY," but I want to double check since the seller who owned this for 20 years told me this was an AC system freon tank. This is my first time looking into it and want to be sure.

Edited by SilverEsprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

🤪 'AC' is the brand of the cap!

The coolant header is at the RH lower corner of this picture from the 'net.

(Federal USA cars have an air pump on the left, not shown of course)

https://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Esprit_Essex_Engine.jpg

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Posted (edited)

Speaking of checking coolant, I've opened the container and see a bunch of corrosion inside.  I think it's time for a new one!

PO was having an overheating issue and thought it was the radiator fans. I decided to check coolant level first and it's pretty low, near the bottom of the container.  Should it normally be full / topped off?  Corroded container could also leak in theory.

I'm thinking I'll get a new container and flush/replace the coolant, then monitor it for other issues.

20220422_113825.jpg

20220422_113818.jpg

20220422_113812.jpg

Edited by SilverEsprit

Yuk.  I think a coolant flush is warranted. You MAY need to drop the radiator and re-core.

Don't forget to check flow through the heater matrix, either.

The normal header tank fill level on G-Esprits (that do not have a reservoir in the LR trunk) is about 3/4" lower than the bottom of the filler neck (cold).

Edited by CarBuff
  • Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I am a bit late to the party but indeed it was the coolant tank indeed. I hope the previous owner did not maintain the car himself!

(To me such a thing as an A/C freon tank doesn't exist anyway, so ... :D)

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, SilverEsprit said:

PO was having an overheating issue and thought it was the radiator fans. I decided to check coolant level first and it's pretty low, near the bottom of the container.  Should it normally be full / topped off?  Corroded container could also leak in theory.

I'm thinking I'll get a new container and flush/replace the coolant, then monitor it for other issues.

If the PO had no idea how to check the coolant level, I wouldn't put much value in his thought on overheating...

Start by flushing and properly filling/bleeding the system, than use the car keeping a close eye on the temperature gauge. Chances are everything will be fine with the coolant level as it should be. As long as the tank isn't leaking, no real need to replace it. A good clean is probably all that's needed. 😉

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Probably wasted hours looking intently at this label...

Untitled.jpg.7e7fac37cd516d1e21c687a5d098dc85.jpg

I bet the P.O. didn't check the Blinker Fluid on a regular basis, either. 🤪

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

If I had a penny for every BMW blinker fluid reservoir I've had to change...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

If it's been rumored to have over heated and is low on coolant, you may want to do a coolant combustion gas check to see if the head gasket is OK.  Especially if it loses coolant after topping off.

Custom alloy header tanks are available to replace the crusty rusty,  I just adapted a generic ebay item with larger capacity.

VentBulkhead (4).JPG