free hit
counters
Ignition key switch - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ignition key switch

1979 Esprit S2

Rewired my ignition system to mega jolt over 10 years ago and now it’s not starting. 
The fault was a bit intermittent and once running, was fine. Only when the engine was turned off, restarting was a lottery.

fitted a new crank sensor but no change.

I set my phone camera on video, pointing at the mega jolt and it revealed that the ignition unit was not getting its 12v while cranking as the power LED goes out.

it must have at some point as the car did fire and run on a couple of occasions. There is no ballast resistor bypass  cable on the starter so I can only guess that the fault lies in the ignition switch itself and the contact inside is breaking when the key is turned in the start position.

I’ve now checked and confirmed this at the switch.

1. Should the ignition feed remain when cranking?

2 can the switch / contact parts be removed , replaced or repaired without pulling the whole steering lock assembly out?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The ignition feed should remain on during cranking, otherwise why would it start? The ignition switch seems held in the lock unit by way of crimped casing, I'd not attempt to replace in situ.

Cheers

You can remove the electrical ignition switch from the lock as it's only held in by 1 screw. SJ sell new switches if that's your problem but don't lose the adaptor which goes between the ignition barrel and the switch.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire