free hit
counters
Any good solutions for dash mounting iPhones? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Any good solutions for dash mounting iPhones?

When I’m out in the Evora, I normally place my iPhone on the passenger seat, plugged in to the USB port so I can use the Apple CarPlay. This is obviously no good if I have a passenger in the car, so has anybody come up with a clever phone mount that doesn’t require drilling or otherwise damaging the dash and trim?

Also could do with it not impeding any of the switches or other controls etc. 

Anybody got any bright ideas and, if so, pics of their solution please?🤔

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
34 minutes ago, Spinney said:

When I’m out in the Evora, I normally place my iPhone on the passenger seat, plugged in to the USB port so I can use the Apple CarPlay. This is obviously no good if I have a passenger in the car, so has anybody come up with a clever phone mount that doesn’t require drilling or otherwise damaging the dash and trim?

Also could do with it not impeding any of the switches or other controls etc. 

Anybody got any bright ideas and, if so, pics of their solution please?🤔

I bought this item: "EXSHOW Windshield Car Phone Mount for Cell Phones with LifeProof FRE Series Case"

(AU link: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B01HBQBNCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The goose neck is JUST long enough for Evora, although actually I find it slightly too short as I have to put the suction cup a bit high on the windscreen which impedes my vision slightly. However, it isn't a bad solution for cheap, suction seems to be strong enough, has an extra balancing thingy which rests on the edge of the dashboard (I didn't bother using the adhesive), sits out of the way of all controls and the vents can work around it. And the angle is easily adjustable for viewing.

A standard iPhone charge cable is long enough to go from the glovebox USB.

• Like 1

Apply liberally. :) 

image.png

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I just installed an pioneer apple CarPlay unit £250 , leave the phone in the glovebox and operate the touchscreen 

must safer and complied with legal aspect regarding touching your phone nowadays  

• Like 2

^^ This....

6 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

I just installed an pioneer apple CarPlay unit £250 , leave the phone in the glovebox and operate the touchscreen 

must safer and complied with legal aspect regarding touching your phone nowadays  

Were it not for the fact I am decidedly ancient and forgetful, this might be considered a reasonable idea. However, I would forget my phone is in the glovebox, probably only remembering some time later when I am a considerable distance from the car!

Putting the phone on a bendy stick right in front of my face should/will give me a fighting chance of remembering to pick it up as I exit the car. I know this to be so since I already occasionally forget to pick it up off the passenger seat.  🤔😁

Only thing about having your phone on holder and on display it gives an opportunity to some idiot to smash the side window and in vain hope your phone is in car along with any other valuables ? 

11 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

FYI, having a ‘phone in a dash, vent or screen holder is the same level of ‘legality’ as a fitted touchscreen. 

So what? Everyone is saying that my idea is no good?

Oh well, can't please everyone. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I used to use a sticky rubber pad on the dash. It’s made of some super sticky rubber compound that grips to the dash and the phone without using glue. 

It gets a bit dusty after a while but you just run it under a tap and it’s clean. Let it air dry and it’s ready for use again. 

I have use it for some very spirted driving and the phone has not gone sliding off yet…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VB4RC81/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_E5SVC71S23NRP4FK0M29

I now use a wireless car play adapter so the phone just stays in my pocket. 

https://cplay2air.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCCDZvuiDS2LUqOlRbF7sy3Rl9B_zo4vXJITiNUOL4rwC4Y_GkJNZ3BoC6KsQAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

Now I do like that wireless adaptor which would allow me to leave the phone in my pocket. Can’t ever forget it then. 👍

I was a bit disappointed the upgraded head unit I went for in the Evora didn’t already have wireless connection for Apple CarPlay, so this gizmo would fix that. Thanks! 👍

• Gold FFM

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09NM3NR61/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's stuck to the lower part of the windscreen on the right hand side so the phone sits between the binnacle and the A-pillar.  I run a long cable from the 12V socket in the footwell (S1) and route it between the steering wheel, binnacle and right hand control panel.  There's a groove it can be tucked into so it's out of sight.  You could use a similar under-dash route from the glove box connectors.

I got the hacksaw out and made a bracket. E43C1A7F-6098-4A43-B3B2-E96BCA4E1FC7.thumb.jpeg.9b813163ac9c37ae52d24a7deffc7081.jpeg

Just a bit of bent stainless steel (for strength and thinness).

Uses the headunit mounting screws so all reverseable. 
B747BD29-283C-4D6B-B9A1-5F532CCF1765.thumb.jpeg.fcb341a51991817aab553fe32f2cf918.jpeg
Then screwed a Brodit cradle to it and ran the cable into the glovebox to pick up the usb. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s a neat solution. 👍 Presumably the frame around the head unit just unclips/pulls off to give access to the fixing screws?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a cleaver idea, I just made my own to suit a Samsung 21 ultra but put it on the Pax side due to the phone size

I used the in CD slot type charging mount. cut the ball off the mount, bored out the center countersunk a 6mm cap head bolt used a spacer to off set the ball so the tightening nut can be assessed.

Very pleased with the result originally I was using a screen mount on the right. The only down side is the phone gets hot with mounting position where as before it did get some airflow from the face vent.

PHONE MOUNT.jpg

PHONE MOUNT INSTALLED.jpg