free hit
counters
Elite HVAC help requested - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Elite HVAC help requested

Good afternoon,

I am about to embark on the installation of a modern Air Con system in my 1978 Elite 503. The original system was removed before I got the car and all I have is the original Heater / A/c evaporator unit, which is neither of the ones shown in my manual. I believe it is the later Lotus version, details of which I cannot find.

My first problem is been to identify the threaded connections on the unit. There is a Daddy Bear, Mother Bear and Baby Bear ( so to speak). The Baby Bear connection is redundant on a modern system. Both the Mummy Bear and Daddy Bear have the same metric thread of 1.75, but neither are M12 fittings.

Further research has brought up a 1 and 5/8 UNC possiblity, but it doesn't make sense either.

Any guidance to there identification would be a great help.

Thanks

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can find out the thread data for the early Delanair evaporator if it will help - I'll dig out my spare unit and take some measurements (forgotten them!! - old age 🙄).  ISTR they are 7/8" UNF and 5/8" UNF, but I'll check.

Pete

The greater of the two connection is masquerading as 7/8 unf and the smaller as 5/8 unf.

However neither will take a standard nut.

The o.d of the male threads on the unit are greater than the i.d of a standard nut.

I can find no equivalent swivel nut hose connection on the internet.

Is there any one out there with unwanted hoses for this unit. I don't need the hoses as I will fit new, just the 90degree swivel nut ends.

I make up my own hoses using Eaton EZ Clip fittings.  Perhaps have a look at T7Design's site.  Have you asked at your local Pirtek yet?  How about Car Builder Solutions?

Pete

I tried car builder solutions but the components they offer are modern and don't work.

I am now trying commercial transport and refrigeration companies.

Still think getting original parts is my way out of this