free hit
counters
maf spray cleaner ? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

maf spray cleaner ?

• Gold FFM

had some tick over issues today and a stall then engine managment light and p101 code so thought first stop spray clean the sensor ? anyone recomend a cleaner they use ?? have got the cai mod on so wether that would tend to get the sensor dirty quicker ?  ta

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had dirty MAF issue many many years ago, can't remember the error code number but threads on here suggested my symptoms pointed towards dirty MAF.

Absolutely no expert on this but I read some stuff online that generic switch cleaner or Isopropyl alcohol is not suitable and can damage the sensor.  Don't know if that is true or not.

I popped into my local car spares shops and asked for MADF cleaner they had this stuff: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOOST-FLOW-SENSOR-CLEANER-200ML/dp/B00KILRA9A/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=mass+airflow+sensor+cleaner&qid=1652888984&sr=8-15

Which seemed to do the trick for me.

I think as long as its MAF cleaner and not some generic solvent you are good to go.  Good brands that I look out for are Liqui Moly or Wynn's 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

ah well she hasnt seen the inside of es motorsports facilities for at least 6 weeks !!!! sprayed the maf (although it looked spotless) did the connections to the maf and the throttle body but at low revs seems like it has kangaroo petrol in it !!! no codes come up but then i didnt drive it far, any thoughts ?? 😞

It could also be due to...

• Dirty, obstructed, or faulty mass air flow sensor
  • Damaged or disconnected air intake boot 
  • Vacuum leak
  • Clogged or improperly installed air filter
  • Clogged catalytic converter / restricted exhaust

Edited by Rambo
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

didnt flicker just came on and stayed on but didnt come back on when re started after i got home !! but would i swap the evora for a mass produced car that everyone else has ? not on your nelly !!!!

Has the car been started a few times without actually going on a run? Assuming the MAF sensor is clear, I have had Kangaroo symptoms occasionally if I have started the car, and moved it a few times without taking it on a run. It just doesnt like being started  from cold and not run it seems. When I have had this and it kangaroos in 2nd I just dip the clutch, rev it a bit, let it clear its throat, and then its fine. Never happens when the engine is hot.

• Like 1

As Steve says car doesn’t like a short start and I am wondering have you encounter bad fuel ? I started filling up at Tesco 99 stuff works ok but do wonder how good it will be in long term? 
with my basic mechanical knowledge would that reddex stuff be worth trying ? 

• Like 1

I've always used premium unleaded in my 10.5 years of ownership and know the car VERY well after 40k miles. The only time it is at all "grumpy" and not it's normal smooth revving self is if it's been started a few times and not run - this only happens if I have had to move the car from the garage to work on another car and move it back! It is then only the first gear change from 2nd to 3rd when it will do it. Normally when I use the car I just start it up and go, and it's excellent :)

• Like 1

would that reddex stuff be worth trying ? 

Depending on what the issue you have, yes they do work, when used in the correct situation.  First step is always figuring out what the issue really is.  As with anything there are some good fuel additives and there are some poor ones that don't do much.  The risk with additive bottles is people try and used them too concentrated.  Stick to the advice on the bottle; if it says mix with minimum 30litres of fuel then stick to that.  Don't think if I make it more concentrated by pouring it into an almost empty fuel tank it will get to work faster.

Premium fuels from the likes of Shell, Esso and others are essentially the fuel additive bottles you can buy separately premixed into petrol in the correct strength.  So for general purpose keeping your engine clean and working well I just use premium fuel every now and then rather than an additive.

If there is a specific problem and there is a specific product for that then yes I would use an additive.

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Whitey said:

Has the car been started a few times without actually going on a run? Assuming the MAF sensor is clear, I have had Kangaroo symptoms occasionally if I have started the car, and moved it a few times without taking it on a run. It just doesnt like being started  from cold and not run it seems. When I have had this and it kangaroos in 2nd I just dip the clutch, rev it a bit, let it clear its throat, and then its fine. Never happens when the engine is hot.

your symptoms are exact !!! i always use premium unleaded but it doesnt go out that much and sometimes just short runs, i took it out this morning and it was slightly hesitating under acceleration, hopefully saturday i will take it for a longer run but strange !!!  

I was advised that as I drove my car at a very steady once a week it wasn’t good so I now drive it a little more zesty but it’s a shorter school run now 

However when I can I try to take it on longer journey but still go at legal limits 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/05/2022 at 16:44, windymiller said:

had some tick over issues today and a stall then engine managment light and p101 code so thought first stop spray clean the sensor ? anyone recomend a cleaner they use ?? have got the cai mod on so wether that would tend to get the sensor dirty quicker ?  ta

Just to add my recent experience for future reference.  

I had the amber engine management light last week and linked up the code reader to find the P101 code. Had previously had a couple of stalls and a bit of “hunting” for a constant rev reading at idle.  

I bought a tin of CRC MAF cleaner.  The sensor is super easy to access and so gave it a few sprays (plenty of info on you tube about do’s and don’ts).  Note that mine also looked clean to the eye but they are apparently extremely sensitive.

Car is running fine now so issues appear to be resolved.  

• Like 1