free hit
counters
Removal of rear seat in 400 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Removal of rear seat in 400

I’m planning to take my inflatable kayak out for a paddle on the Thames.  It folds up into a suitcase sized backpack, so can fit on the back seat of the Evora, but I don’t fancy putting it on there in case any of the Thames leaks out on the way home.

Does anyone remove their rear seat routinely?  Is it likely to cause problems eg, damage fixings etc? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance,

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Underneath the seat cushion is carpet, so I’d think getting that wet would also smell. Just get a big plastic sheet and pop towels on top?

Edit: apologies, it’s not carpet is it? It’ll be the chassis plus velcro. But you still wouldn’t want the water leaking down to the carpet in the footwell 

Edited by r3nault

12 hours ago, Phaeton91 said:

It folds up into a suitcase sized backpack

I'd find a slightly larger waterproof sack (a rubble bag or similar) and be popping the backpack in that for the journey home. Much easier and safer IMO :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks chaps. Yes definitely a good idea to wrap the sack in a bivvy sheet.  Was also concerned about the weight and any protrusions making indentations into the seats or scuffing the leather. It’s a pretty heavy and lumpy bit of kit when all rolled up.

Might just take my little Yaris “station car”.  That’s had far worse in it!

• Gold FFM

I use a plastic sheet and a couple of packing blankets (used by removal firms to protect furniture) when I transport my bike in the back.  It's not as heavy as your kayak and the risk of my bike being soaking wet is lower.

If you do it, don't forget to take some pictures to add to the "what have I carried in my Evora" pictures.

IMG_7088.thumb.JPG.21c656e09aacbb5b66ba8

0F954AA5-F357-4ECD-962B-EF8F45CD0F0D.thu

• Like 1

That’s pretty impressive getting a bike in the back.  Good idea about the blanket. I have an old heavy military type blanket from a scout camping trip the kids did which will work.

As it happens I bottled it and took the Yaris as it was our first time out in the Kayak.  No spills at all so all good for the Lotus next time - will take some photos too.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

It helps that I'm short so have the seat further forward and a smaller-framed bike.  Sometimes there are advantages to being below average height!

• Like 1

You might as well take the seat base out. Very easy.

It’s only velcro’d down, but don’t just pull it up. It’s very “sticky” industrial velcro and can rip from the seat pad. (VOE!)

Get your fingers underneath and push it up instead.
Leaves a nice hard flat shelf for your stuff.
Still carpeted though, so the bag is a good idea.

While you’re under there, check the emergency boot release is working properly!

• Thanks 2