free hit
counters
Why can’t air travel get its sh!t together? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Why can’t air travel get its sh!t together?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

You are so 100% right @Sparky!

Cruz killed BA's rep and customer loyalty and boy are BA paying the price now.

As an aside, anyone else notice these days how "big companies" seem to make big profits and don't put anything into "reserve" for a rainy day, but then as soon as there is a down turn they seem to be "surprised" they have no rainy day fund to tide them over. So we get this boom then bust approach?  Got to blame the CFO's to be honest, who all are driven to show growth, growth, growth and return big to investors so they can justify their next big role as they rise up the food chain.  It wasn't that long ago that FD's in charge of big UK businesses took a far more balanced approached and therefore had businesses that survived and thrived for decades. 

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Ultimately, the Board of Directors is collectively responsible for that, not just the CFO. Shareholders will also be wanting their pound of flesh, especially right now when share prices are generally shite. Of course, individual Board members may also be shareholders............🙄

Margate Exotics.

We had an interesting one when we flew up for my sons wedding in Queensland.

Hopped online to look at flights. This one will do to Sydney and then another to Cairns.

Then the airline canceled this flights and moved us. I won’t go into all of it, but I rang them.

The reasons I was given follow. 
We have to change them because of maintenance to planes or the airports can’t fit this number of flights in.

If an airline doesn’t know airport schedules or when maintenance is due on a plane, someone is not doing their job.

I then went and looked and the original flights we booked were still there. I said we want this flight to Sydney and this flight to Cairns.

You can’t have that sir as they are not connecting flights. I still had to get our bags and check in for the second flight.

I gave up trying to fight them.

I got a survey for one of the flights coming back. I answered truthfully.

I didn’t get another survey.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Ultimately, the Board of Directors is collectively responsible for that, not just the CFO. Shareholders will also be wanting their pound of flesh, especially right now when share prices are generally shite. Of course, individual Board members may also be shareholders............🙄

The Board of Directors yes, but the CFO is specifically accountable for the decisions that drive the numbers, on many Boards the CFO ultimately wields more financial power than the CEO.

Fact is in my experience very few CFOs make great CEOs.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

21 hours ago, C8RKH said:

As an aside, anyone else notice these days how "big companies" seem to make big profits and don't put anything into "reserve" for a rainy day, but then as soon as there is a down turn they seem to be "surprised" they have no rainy day fund to tide them over. So we get this boom then bust approach?  Got to blame the CFO's to be honest, who all are driven to show growth, growth, growth and return big to investors so they can justify their next big role as they rise up the food chain.  It wasn't that long ago that FD's in charge of big UK businesses took a far more balanced approached and therefore had businesses that survived and thrived for decades. 

Classic case was the banks after the 2008 crash. They had been making 3-12 Billion a year for the previous 10 years then the Govt and public had to bail them out to the tune of less money than they had collectively made previously, or else they would go bust. WTF happened to all those profits?

As for the Travel companies and airlines. Don't even go there!! We have threatened legal action 3 times in the last 10 years just to get the compensation they legally had to offer!! And did we get any compensation above that? Did we F**K. TUI being one of the worst. 3 years ago, we were delayed 2 days coming back from Cyprus. They refused any compensation originally telling us it was the airlines fault (which it wasn't), then paid us the absolute minimum. Now take into account we had both had to take 3 days more off work (as we finally arrived at midday on the 3rd day after we should have got back(which was a sunday). I lost commission and Wendy lost wages. But they flatly refused to admit any other expenses, including having to hire a taxi to get home after taking us to Gatwick instead of Stansted where our car was! It took me hiring a lawyer and one letter of legal action they paid our expenses, but no support for lost income. Absolutely Shit!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

The Board of Directors yes, but the CFO is specifically accountable for the decisions that drive the numbers, on many Boards the CFO ultimately wields more financial power than the CEO.

Fact is in my experience very few CFOs make great CEOs.

In my experience, the only reason the CFO might have wielded any power was because the rest of the Board hadn’t got a clue when it came to finance. So they just agreed, because there was no point in arguing!

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, Kimbers said:

but no support for lost income

They are not responsible for lost income. 

We had an experience with EasyJet - me, wife, two kids and my elderly mother left stranded in Alicante for 3 days.  Fair do's to Easyjet they put us up for 3 nights in a superb hotel right on the beach. Bed and Breakfast and a "buffet" lunch and dinner laid on - we didn't fancy it so went out and I submitted a claim for the meals. They paid up. They got us home. We got the EU compensation and the expenses paid.  So they are not all bad but I bet for every good experience there will be a bad. A bit like with insurers.

5 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

In my experience, the only reason the CFO might have wielded any power was because the rest of the Board hadn’t got a clue when it came to finance. So they just agreed, because there was no point in arguing!

So the rest of the Board was incompetent then. Nice. These days the CFO are hugely powerful as they are the interface to the markets, to the analysts, and set the expectations re earnings etc.  That gives them real power these days.

8 hours ago, C8RKH said:

They are not responsible for lost income. 

We had an experience with EasyJet - me, wife, two kids and my elderly mother left stranded in Alicante for 3 days.  Fair do's to Easyjet they put us up for 3 nights in a superb hotel right on the beach. Bed and Breakfast and a "buffet" lunch and dinner laid on - we didn't fancy it so went out and I submitted a claim for the meals. They paid up. They got us home. We got the EU compensation and the expenses paid.  So they are not all bad but I bet for every good experience there will be a bad. A bit like with insurers.

So the rest of the Board was incompetent then. Nice. These days the CFO are hugely powerful as they are the interface to the markets, to the analysts, and set the expectations re earnings etc.  That gives them real power these days.

No, they weren’t incompetent, just that they weren’t all experts in finance, only in their own area of responsibility. Similarly, most CFO’s hadn’t got a clue about operational matters, and didn’t know much about personnel, either.

Actually, some of them WERE incompetent, and some of them were only there to further their own interests. I suspect that’s the same everywhere, though.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
Posted (edited)

Yup. We were put up in the NH Hotel. Beach one side. Marina the other. Short walk into the old town.

Easyjet were brilliant!

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM
Posted (edited)

Or maybe I just approached their staff with a bit of courtesy and understanding and was reasonable?  I generally only "go off on one" when people are stupid. However, there are many stupid people out there to "go off on one" at hahahaha...

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Yup. We were put up in the NH Hotel. Beach one side. Marina the other. Short walk into the old town.

Easyjet were brilliant!

Whereas we were in a 5 star resort in Cyprus and when we got delayed TUI put us in a 2 star hole with screaming kids everywhere and human poo in the pool. Food was shocking as well.

• Sad 1

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting in a Eurowings A320 at Düsseldorf airport awaiting departure back to UK. Been sat here for 90 minutes and still not pulled back from gate. The reason? No-one around to load the luggage! This after two hours to get from check-in through Security. 3 check-in agents for 17 Eurowings counters. Only 4 security lanes open out of 10 for all passengers. Now been at DUS for nearly 5 hours and no news on any progress. Spent last hour catching up on TLF, but now run out of new content so adding my own to pass the time.

Update. Baggage finally being loaded. Looking like a 2 hour delay for this.

Perhaps show the crew the story that was in the press a few days ago...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pilot-helps-ground-crew-load-27275704

Pilot helps ground crew load luggage on plane as travel chaos continues at UK airports

The clip taken ahead of a flight from Edinburgh Airport comes amid ongoing disruption at UK airports over the past few months, as airlines struggle with a shortage in workers and a rise in demand

13 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Sitting in a Eurowings A320 at Düsseldorf airport awaiting departure back to UK. Been sat here for 90 minutes and still not pulled back from gate. The reason? No-one around to load the luggage! This after two hours to get from check-in through Security. 3 check-in agents for 17 Eurowings counters. Only 4 security lanes open out of 10 for all passengers. Now been at DUS for nearly 5 hours and no news on any progress. Spent last hour catching up on TLF, but now run out of new content so adding my own to pass the time.

Update. Baggage finally being loaded. Looking like a 2 hour delay for this.

People can't blame Brexit for that

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I'm sitting in a Log cabin in Yorkshire. I should be in a rented farmhouse in Ireland but Easyjet cancelled my flight just 2 days before we were due to go, leaving us no other way to get there (flights were booked and ferry full). We managed to find one flight with BA but that was 3 times the amount of money and I just couldn't afford it. 

So glad it got cancelled, love this place so much we just cancelled our Easyjet flights in september and have instead booked here again. Cost of the whole Holiday £850 instead of just the flights costing that. 

The only thing this has done is make us rethink our choice to buy a holiday home in Cyprus. We are now looking at Spain where we can drive or take a ferry if we have to.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

BA to Copenhagen was quite agreeable, and no more expensive than so-called low cost carriers plus their hidden fees.  BA know better than to make late cancellations and expose themselves to EU compensation, so I could be fairly confident that my particular flights were operating 14 days out.  23kg in the hold, sensible cabin bag allowance, excellent crew, simple mobile app, all for under £100.  I didn't use staff travel.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Only thing @Sparky that puts me off BA is the baggage situation at Heathrow.  BA have "lost" my baggage twice on long haul so I'm always nervous.

Other than that I fly BA every week and the service is defo getting better, but that is 100% down to the cabin crew, nothing to do with the top leadership at all. Walsh and Cruz were a disaster for sure from a customer perspective 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@C8RKHwhen asked at check-in to check my bag, I always try to refuse, citing the fact that I'm ex-staff and I know what goes on and the odds of seeing my bag at the other end!  Often they agree with me.  It's not always a BA issue (baggage plant and tech operation is 3rd party) but BA is, naturally, LHR's biggest customer

Yes, more strikes.  Maybe.  But BA have always been geared for disruption (honestly) and can mitigate many issues with trained contingency staff.  Won't be plain sailing, but ahould keep a fair amount of the operation on track.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.