free hit
counters
Wanted: 912 HC engine Cam carrier / Exhaust camshaft - Wanted - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Wanted: 912 HC engine Cam carrier / Exhaust camshaft

skiing

• Gold FFM

Well some of you may have read about my little, um, incident with my S3’s high compression engine… I am now in need of a replacement cam carrier or cam box for the exhaust side. And also ideally a cam shaft as well… cam carrier / box is the most necessary. This is the later cam box design. If anyone can help so I can get my baby back on the road, please get in touch! Thanks so much, Henry 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Nudging on this one - surely someone must have one squirreled away in their 'secret Esprit parts stash'... will go to a very good home... 

• Gold FFM

Thank you Peter, I saw these - rather steep on cost so I was hoping for originals but if nothing else is available I might have to take the plunge...

• Gold FFM

They don't seem to have any either and are also re-making - I think I will have to most likely go down that route but as ever I feel there is a slightly higher risk of having to fettle parts to get them to fit when they are not original... 

I'll have a look in thee shed (those who have seen it will understand how thee lack of organisation may impact thee outcome), I know I have some but are part of a refurbished engine so I'm unlikely to part with those, but you never know there may be others (Mike Taylor was asking me for any Excel gearboxes I may have, that gives an idea of the shed's contents).

• Gold FFM

See, now I want to fit sexy ones.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I have ventured into the shed and managed to return, but not found any cam carriers, but also not found the complete engine that I thought was in there. next I will check the pit of the garage (I mean the inspection pit that is situated in the floor of the garage, yes the garage is a mess and so could be called a pit).

• Gold FFM

Maybe the engine is on top of a car? 😇

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Hehehe, I knew it.

• Gold FFM

I'm already in therapy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Thank you so much for looking Andy - it is very much appreciated - I would like to see this cave of lotus delights on day - let me know if anything does turn up!... And yes, I am already funding a special new therapy course for Sparky entitled 'Deviations from Lotus factory specification - a metaphysical exploration'.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, skiing said:

Thank you so much for looking Andy - it is very much appreciated - I would like to see this cave of lotus delights on day - let me know if anything does turn up!... And yes, I am already funding a special new therapy course for Sparky entitled 'Deviations from Lotus factory specification - a metaphysical exploration'.

Or to give it its working title, "Sparky in Wonderland".

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Currently, everything's making me smaller.

• Gold FFM

Well, nothing's truly beyond repair if you throw enough (of somebody else's) money at it.  I would say the cheapest option is to find a good used one, but failing that...

10+ years ago I'd have not considered repairing it, given the cost of repair vs the cost of a readily-available serviceable used one. Given the apparent lack of serviceable ones / high cost of a new one, it does seem to be swinging the other way.   We had the same on Excel door frames, it was just swap out for decent used ones and skip the rusted on, then supply tightened and it was worth cutting and putting in new metal, then it was worth taking 3 scrap ones to weld into one viable unit, now brand new ones for £300+ is an option and so cheaper than paying a professional to try and piece bits together.  The cam carriers seems to be in that middle stage where lots of time and money needs to be spent on repair.  I did wonder whether it's nearing the stage of buying a viable whole engine (seen one local to me for £2.5k but it's LC) and recouping some of the cost by selling on the parts of the old engine.

• Gold FFM

Whole engine might be a route - I am waiting to hear about what is needed for sure and whether I need to help sourcing parts - I know that a cam carrier is needed for sure, hence the start of my search for that...

• Gold FFM

As @sailorbobsaid, the carrier is not necessarily a total loss; it's just a toss-up on cost of repair.  No doubt we'll find out from Max...

I suspect those carriers could be uneconomic to repair. But there’s only one way to find out and that’s to trawl around for companies that would do that kind of metal restoration work, as it seems that thus far, the secondhand market hasn’t turned up any spare units.

Margate Exotics.