free hit
counters
Relay with unique wiring colors - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Relay with unique wiring colors

I have six relays at the front of my '83 Turbo Esprit. I've identified all but one, which by default is the radiator fan relay.  The wire colors for the relay socket are:
Blue/brown (UN)
Blue/yellow (UY)
Blue/red (UR)
Black (B). 

All the radiator fan relays in the service manual are coded either:
Brown (N)
Black/orange (BO)
Yellow/brown (YN)
Black (B)

or

Brown (N)
Black/orange (BO)
Black/brown (BN)
Black (B).

Should I be sure this is really for the radiator fans? I read through the entire wiring diagram for my car and didn't find my relay socket's wiring colors anywhere. I inherited some kind of issue with the radiator fans when I bought the car in April so can't just pull the relay to see if the fans shut off.  If a previous owner or mechanic rewired things that might explain why I have odd colors here and something wrong with the rad fans. Just trying to make sense of it.  Any obvious answers I may have missed?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

There's a few things you can check. If you bridge the relay, do the fans run? If they do, you could leave it as is, depending on what the radiator issue you mention is.

The wires can be checked as well.
Black should obviously be earth.
Brown should be permanent 12V, so check if the corresponding wire on your relay is.
Of the 2 remaining wires, the one opposite black should go to the otter switch (BO), the other one (BN) to the fan fuse. You can do a continuity test to verify.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On my US 1985, the rad fan relay is in the cabin fusebox.

My car has R headlight motor, L motor, High beam, Low beam, Flash and Horn relays up front behind left headlight.

I think you might be looking at the dip (low) beam relay with UY,UR, NU and Black?

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, snowrx said:

I think you might be looking at the dip (low) beam relay with UY,UR, NU and Black?

That would be more consistent with the wiring colors!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.