free hit
counters
Rear brake bleeding problems - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear brake bleeding problems

After the Covid lay up, my Eclat front brakes were rusted up so the callipers came off for a rebuild, I thought that I would change the fluid while I was at it.

The front brakes went well and I am getting a solid pedal, the rears are a different matter, I got the central bleed nipple off after a struggle and on pressing the pedal,only the slightest drop of fluid comes out and the pedal pressure remains firm.

I wonder if the problem is with the balance valve or must I get the bleed pipe off and clean things out. If this is the case I am dreading taking the diff out to get access as I will have to work without a ramp and am tempted to go for the hole in the floor method, has anyone actually done this and if so did it work.

Thanks Peter

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Disconnect the rubber flexi from the caliper - try again. Almost always its a flexi that has become blocked as it rots internally. Clean it out with some wire to prove the problem - then replace the pipe.

• Like 1

Only here once

Possibly the easiest way to check the patency of the pipes as far as the diff is to locate the three-way connector near the diff itself.  Loosen the feed from the front to see what comes out.  If the obstruction is further back the best way is to remove the diff and service all components associated with the brakes at the back - but you will need to get under the car.  I doubt the pressure differential sensing device is the problem but also worth checking (I have removed mine and fitted a reservoir switch instead).

Pete

Hi I used the hole in the floor metod on my series one eclat .Yes it does work you can also get at hanbrake mechanism as well

A Burgess

Barry, my 3 way connector is on top of the diff so still can’t get at it without taking diff out, 

Alec, tell me more about the hole in the floor method please.

Peter

Thanks Pete, 

I have managed to get over the problem temporary as the blockage was in the flexible pipe to the nipple

peter

• Like 1