free hit
counters
Brake Pipe Flaring Kit - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Brake Pipe Flaring Kit

I have the need for a pipe flaring kit to fix a broken pipe on a project car (not Lotus) and, since I tinker with cars quite a bit, I thought it would be a good idea to get something for the workshop.

Many years ago I used an old friend's kit to do a couple of pipes on the Esprit but haven't ever done much pipe flaring so I'm at sea with what to get. I see mention of different materials (brass, copper, aluminium, cunifer, steel) as well as things like DIN, SAE and different pipe sizes (3/16", 1/4" etc)...

I'd like to get something that's not rubbish but at the same time this will be for 'occasional use' so I don't want to break the bank.

Any knowledge/guidance/recommendations out there please? 

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you can get one of these (2nd hand they're not too bad on price), it will make the end result quite consistent, and the kit can be expanded by the purchase of additional parts.

https://sykes-pickavant.com/products/braking-tools/pipe-flaring-tools/554

Re the materials: My thoughts.

brass,  Brass is brittle and I don't think I've ever seen it used as pipe material, people have probably mistaken Kunifer as brass.  Brass fittings are however excellent but very pricey (c10x the cost of passivated steel fittings last time I looked.

copper. No, No< No. It's not ideal, it has to be supported far more frequently (shorter distance) than other viable options, else it moves and work-hardens then fractures. It's not even road legal in some countries. Some people do try and sell copper pipe as Kunifer

aluminium,

cunifer, Actually it's Kunifer, aka Kupro Nickel alloy. Yes, use this. It's soft enough to work with but firm enough to hold shape and doesn't work-harden and fracture. It needs a lot less support than copper.

steel. That will be coated steel, and is used by car manufacturers as original. It's fine for that, but a pig to work using hand tools, let alone the shaping for curves.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Brake-Burning-situ-16-SAE/dp/B01M4RC2YW/ref=asc_df_B01M4RC2YW?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79852089215476&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451665509006&psc=1

There are different versions, DIN and SAE. Later Esprit’s use DIN single flare, but check yours first.

Cunifer. Cu Ni Fe - copper, nickel, iron. Forget copper and steel pipes, this is the best for making replacement brake pipes. Tougher than copper, and it doesn’t rust like steel.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, eeyoreish said:

I'd like to get something that's not rubbish but at the same time this will be for 'occasional use' so I don't want to break the bank

Get a decent hydraulic one. You can flare anything with those including steel. It’s not worth scrimping.

Only here once

OK, so cunifer/kunifer is the way to go if I need to make up any new pipes.

What's the deal with DIN/SAE and the different pipe sizes? Does that vary by vehicle/country/age? I'm mainly working on 90's and older cars of varying makes so do I need something that can do different pipe sizes and flare types or are they all likely to use one size?

Sorry for the 'basic' questions but, like I said, I haven't delved into brake pipes before so it's a bit of a new world for me...

DIN / SAE are conventions of pipe flare shapes just google for the different flare shapes and compare to the existing ones, the pipes are the same ((for the given sizes). so depends on the application. 4.775mm is just another term for 3/16 , it's not exactly the same but that's just notational difference not actual different size pipe.

Edit: Added link to show flares

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1198261-brake-line-flares-iso-din-v-sae.html

Edited by andydclements

So  could I find either DIN or SAE on any given car?

Is 3/16 pretty much standard size for brake pipes or do i need to consider other sixes too?

3/16 will be almost exclusively what you encounter on cars.  Generally yes, any given car will either have DIN or SAE when it left the factory not both, unless somebody has been a muppet on a previous pipe change.

Thanks Andy. Sounds like I need something that can do SAE and DIN flares on cunifer 3/16 pipe then in order to cover the most likely scenarios I’ll encounter.

3 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Google is your friend. Use it!

Ok, your first comment was helpful, this one less so. I've spent soooo much time searching for components that this one hit a nerve. 🤪

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172126665162?hash=item28138c79ca:g:4E4AAOSwv9hW3xh6

Does it have to be that type? That one can do on=car situations but so can others (ones like these do lots of sizes) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172126665162?hash=item28138c79ca:g:4E4AAOSwv9hW3xh6

9 hours ago, cweeden said:

I still need to check but I think it is a DIN type which is why the search is hard. However, if it is SAE I'm going to be eating a lot of humble pie. ☺️

You need to pin that down first. What’s it for? Clutch?

Margate Exotics.

Found this one on eBay. Looks good enough and flares DIN and SAE. Plus it can do ‘on car’ which will be handy. British made too…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175189708696?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Dnm2AaYhQpK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Spej2dd8Rwe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

2 hours ago, cweeden said:

But doesn't do 1/4" tubing which is what is used for the clutch on my V8. 

But suitable for most of my general/mixed car make workshop requirements? Covers SAE and DIN so looks adaptable.

• Like 1

Hi @eeyoreish I'm sorry for hijacking your thread, for the brake pipe work which is all 3/16 the two tools you found on ebay are the same or similar to the ones I've been using successfully (I think, not pressure tested yet) so you should be fine. 🙂 

cheers

-Chris

No problem Chris, I'm glad it's a subject other people are interested in!

I'm going to order the eBay one as I think it should suit most of my needs, including the immediate need for a new clutch pipe on the Marlin kit car I've recently bought.