free hit
counters
Using non super unleaded... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Using non super unleaded...

I've got a couple of longer trips coming up with lots of motorway, don't really want to buy super unleaded if I can avoid for steady motorway. I'm guessing no real issue running 95 Ron? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am really reluctant not to stick to super, mine's only ever drank 99 Ron super, not even 97, ah well mines a keeper so just have to accept expensive runs out. It was never going to be cheap! 

As an aside, I've just clocked 2000 miles after 7 months of owning my 390FE, anyone else running up the new car miles? 

I’ve convinced myself the extra octane gives me better fuel economy, so I stick with super..

I hate putting normal stuff in (or even 97). Only ever do if I’m caught short, I always feel guilty if I thrash it until I get the good 99 stuff back in.

Some people in 'ordinary' cars have ben using E10 and found they get less MPG and so are going to use E5, even though it is more expensive per litre. Overall the cost per mile will be much closer. 

Forced induction cars will always benefit from higher octane fuels, stick with the highest you can find :)

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

50 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

From the factory,

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/fuel-compatibility/

Notice

• Except on the Lotus Emira, Lotus recommends to use a premium high quality UNLEADED fuel, meeting EN228 standard. The rating of any fuel should be clearly marked on the fuel pump.
  • The use of good quality unleaded fuels meeting EN228 standard containing proper detergent additives shall be used.
  • The majority of the Lotus vehicles have catalytic converters fitted in the exhaust system. DO NOT push or tow start the car; or turn off the ignition at engine speeds above idle; or run the fuel tank dry: Any of these actions may damage the catalytic converters.
  • Fuel system damage and running problems, resulting from the use of incorrect fuels will not be covered by your New Vehicle Warranty.
  • Methanol – Do not use fuels containing methanol (wood alcohol). Use of this type of alcohol can result in performance deterioration and damage to critical parts in the fuel system.
  • Lower Octane Fuels – The lower octane rating (typically 93 – 94 RON) will result in slightly reduced performance and economy and are not recommended.
  • Fuels Containing MMT – Some fuels contain methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT), which is an octane enhancing additive. Such fuels may damage the emission control system and shall NOT be used.
  • Diesel – A Lotus vehicle WILL NOT operate on diesel fuel.

It used to say,

TOYOTA POWERTRAIN FUEL REQUIREMENTS FOR ELISE, EXIGE AND EVORA

Lotus Model Production Year E10 Compatible?
Elan 1989 - 1991 No
Esprit (4cyl. carburettor) 1987 - 1989 No
Esprit (4cyl. fuel injection) 1989 - 1999 Yes
Esprit (V8) 1998 - 2004 Yes
Elise (Rover) 1996 - 2004 No
340R 2000 No
Exige (Rover) 2001 - 2002, 2004 No
Elise (Toyota) 2004 onwards Yes
Exige (Toyota) 2004 onwards Yes
Europa 2006 - 2010 No
Evora (Toyota) 2009 onwards Yes

And there’s the answer.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Doesn't mention anything about RON95 or Ethanol (E10 or even E5). Does that mean they're all fine?

While I have yet to put anything other than Super Unleaded in mine, I can see the rational for just using E10 for a boring motorway stretch especially if you're going to use up the whole tank right away anyway.

• Gold FFM

Obviously, don't buy fuel on the motorways. That is ruinously expensive. Sat nav makes it so easy now to find a station nearby. 

I'm just back from Germany and probably saved 100euro+ doing this. Lost those savings at 150mph+ though 

Justin 

• Haha 2

I do only run Ron 95 /E10 in my daily (Lexus) and I've absolutely lost both some performance and some mpg however the price difference offsets the mpg loss and since its better for the environment long term, I'm not going to use E5 unless I need to.  Personally I think if the car runs on E10, you should use it - you can also use some fuel additives like RedEx to clean the injectors every now and then and ultimately its working to reduce climate impact.  For track days, I suspect I would use the full fat stuff.

Meanwhile, in the Elise (K-Series) its super unleaded.

My view for what it's worth how much are you going to save on a full tank £7 or so we'll I'd say don't bother having the sprinkles on the latte that's got to be at leat a £10 over the holiday 😀 

• Gold FFM

Off topic but I did stop for coffee at an Autobahn services (no petrol bought). I left my jacket in the cafe with wallet, passport and house keys - what a muppet. 

I was up at 4am the next day, blasted on the 'bahns to get the jacket, 372 miles and was back at the hotel for breakfast at 0931. 

It all turned out rather well....but cost a few tanks of juice.

Justin 

• Like 1

Interesting they're less fussy about the Emira petrol, I guess that's to retain its wide user base and not forcing folks to get 97+

Though given the 6800 limit, seems that performance has a very limited influence on the user needs anyway. 

I used E10 from last September and it was pain made my NA lumpy had the car serviced and fitted with BOE kit my lotus garage told me to revert back to E5 or 99ron so now I go to Tesco fill up with their 99 Ron it’s cheaper than Shell super fuel car been running great ! 

• Gold FFM

My Service guy does NOT recommend vpower by the way. BP Ultimate or Tesco 99 Ron.

Have used his advice for 10 years on an NA anda Sport 410 and never had an issue.

He reckons the V6 does not like vpower and has he has been working on Lotus for nigh on 30 years he knows a lot more than me. 🤣😂

Usually very easy to find Tesco within 5 miles of the motorway.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

On 20/06/2022 at 21:17, Matt W said:

I am really reluctant not to stick to super, mine's only ever drank 99 Ron super, not even 97, ah well mines a keeper so just have to accept expensive runs out. It was never going to be cheap! 

As an aside, I've just clocked 2000 miles after 7 months of owning my 390FE, anyone else running up the new car miles? 

Had my Elise Cup FE 4 months and 4,000 miles. Off the Spa and Zandvoort soon and then south of France. Cars are for driving, given them what they need. 

Do you take your girlfriend to McDonald’s?

• Like 2

I run all my Lotus cars on E5, 99 RON Momentum (Tesco) wherever possible. Next choice is the E5 Shell V-Power and they all run well on those 2 high RON fuels Never had any injector or engine problems.

My 3rd choice of fuel is Sainsbury's E5, 97 RON super unleaded. Monitoring MPG figures on all the cars (tanks brim to brim) shows slightly better mileages for 99 RON fuels.

I never use E10 fuels, even in my 2 stroke power tools or 4 stroke garden equipment.

7 hours ago, TonyKL said:

Do you take your girlfriend to McDonald’s?

Nah, but I do like her Macmuffin 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Gold FFM

I run my performance cars including the Turbo Esprit only on Esso Synergy Supreme, their E5 super unleaded. In most of the country, this has zero ethanol as ethanol content is an issue for older cars.

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

Except (for logistics reasons allegedly !) sites supplied from Scotland, North Wales, North England and Cornwall otherwise I'd use it as it has extra detergents for keeping your engine cleaner