free hit
counters
Lotus to build new old lotus - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus to build new old lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It would be interesting to see what they've found in the CTL archives! 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Now that is some good news! A kind of Singer Esprit! Wow!

For the few who know the difference

Certainly exciting to see what LAP come up with. But, if comparisons to Singer (and even Alfaholics) are valid, the spawn won't be for those who have to ask how much they cost. 🤔

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

For me there is little or no appeal to an electrified classic. Changing the driveline will totally change the experience and character. Sure, it will look better than most/all of what is out there now, but it wont feel/smell/sound like a classic. It even says so in the article: "an electric drivetrain can completely change how a classic car drives" I thought we loved our old Lotus not just for the looks but especially for the driving experience, so I'd hate to lose that.
I can appreciate what Radford is doing with the Type 62-2, starting from a modern platform, similar to Singer. That is evolution and not revolution. And even then the touchscreens etc are not to my taste.

I do look forward to seeing what LAP will come with. Even if it will be out of budget (like Radford). But I'd rather have Lotus as a whole concentrate on building good, modern, electric cars if they must without adding more compromises by starting from an old platform or design.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Escape said:

an electric drivetrain can completely change how a classic car drives

This was a laughable quote, PR drivel which suggests this department is not aimed at existing classic Lotus car owners. 

Geely continuing on their chosen path, to widen the appeal of Lotus Cars. Quite right too.

Justin

• Gold FFM

I understand your opinions @Escape.

Electric is the future, however that power may be generated and resistance to it is futile (pun obviously intended!). If electrifying classic cars means seeing more of them on the roads then I'm all for it.

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

We have another topic to discuss the merits and what not of electric cars, so I wont go into it here too much. I agree it can be a good solution for some forms of mobility, like local transport. I do not agree it is the great solution to environmental problems it is claimed to be.

And in my view electric is certainly not for the drivers, it's just a means to get somewhere. Most modern cars are already very detached and try to take all involvement and responsibility away from the driver (automatic handbrake come to mind). I prefer a hands on experience, like a cable linking my foot to the throttle valve, not asking a computer to please increase power and hoping he agrees conditions are suitable to oblige.
When driving a classic, you know when things go right it's because of you, the driver. Because you got that downshift just right, took the correct line through the corner or something simple as setting the choke correctly for a smooth start in the cold. As much as I can appreciate the benefits of fuel injection, it still can't rival the smile on my face when starting on old carburetted engine (if things go right that is). Downside, if things don't go as planned, you're probably to blame as well. But without the risk of failure, there is little joy in success.

And let's not forget, for some owners being able to work/tinker on their classic cars is part of the appeal. Getting something to work that you fixed yourself can give great satisfaction, even if the road there is often paved with frustrations.

Filip (firmly stuck in the last century)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.