free hit
counters
Door latch mechanism - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Door latch mechanism

Go to solution Solved by Mike from Colorado,

I am having problems with my door catch. (its on my Eclat, but the same mechanism is on the Elite and Esprit. - not sure about the Excel) Sometimes the door wont shut properly because the catch is fouling on the plate. However sometimes I can 'flip' the catch up with a screwdriver then its ok for a while. Today I decided to take the latch off and see what the problem is.

After cleaning it up it looks as if the small spring that moves the catch is broken. (the one in the middle of the zoomed in photo.)So will need replacing. it looks as if I will have to drill out the rivet in the centre of the mechanism to get to it. 

What do you think? Does the spring look broken to you? Any other ideas on how to get into the mechanism would be much appreciated.

IMG_5040.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5046-4.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Solution

Hello Williamtherebel,

Yes, it does appear to be broken. I just happen to be restoring my doors so I have the latch handy.

Here is mine - closing the latch makes the roll pin compress the spring. Moving that lever that has the 49 73 stamp on the pivot - up - should release the mechanism and open the latch.

It looks as though the broken part of the spring is entangled in the first four or five coils of your spring.

Maybe it can be pulled out and a new one snapped in through the hole? I would try that before drilling the rivets.

20220713_171418.jpg

Hi Mike, 

Many thanks for replying.

I can see from your photo, as I suspected, my spring is broken.

As you suggest, I will try and replace the spring in-situ before I do any drilling. Thanks again. :thumbsup: