free hit
counters
BMW to lease their extras - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

BMW to lease their extras

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature.     Starting with their heated seats BMW are going to monthly lease alot of the software on their cars

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well not used  a lot in the average BMW anyway.

Lease the back seats, how much boot space will you need on the next trip...

Brakes? Petrol cap access? Infotainment? Ecomode?

How is it going to be managed car by car? Would you have to go to a service centre every month to get the BMW man to turn things on each month? (I presume that turning a function off is based on the ECU knowing the date and an expiry date for an option?) Who will pay for that as well? Or is that included in your monthly subscription and is it then pro-rata depending on how many options you 'take' each month?

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

A lot of new cars (and indeed has been the case for a while) come with connectivity built in via 4G. Over the air updates are common, as are apps to control the car's functions remotely. I can check my car, lock and unlock it, turn on the a/c or defrost etc from my phone. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Spot on. This is being rolled out across many marques. No difference from the older ICE systems were you got sat nav updates free for a period then had to pay if you wanted to update. This model has been around for years.

Edited by Bravo73

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

My 640d has the connectivity feature and it was free for 3 years as the PO didn't use it. After that it was over £100 a year if I remember rightly. Lock and unlock and more from a smart phone; heat and ventilate at a pre-set time (was great when at the airport when being away and the car was sitting for over a week), track it's location (I once "lost it" in the car park of the Birmingham NEC!) and upload preprogramed routes to the satnav for my journeys for the week, send meeting notes and contacts to the dash and stuff. It was great and I found it all useful until I tried to renew one year and they said my car was too old and it was no longer supported! Sounds familiar. 

If the article is true then all cars should come with all the hardware already installed which means it'll be a matter of time before it's hacked to enable the features later which will be great. It'll be against law though with the new legislation...

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

The hardware will be there but it's going to be really REALLY hard to hack this. Most manufacturers are starting to move towards consolidated platforms as they need less chips. Essentially all the controllers on one chip. Said chip can be encrypted and will be nigh impossible to hack. They will do this both to stop that sort of hacking and also to stop IP theft on clever new technology.

Some functions you might be able to interrupt signals but I suspect it would need another box spliced into the wiring, it won't work with the more high tech features and it will be a bit dodgy in execution. It would quite possibly also be detectable OTA when the logs start reporting weird goings on and you get all of your features pulled for breaching contract. I doubt you will see much circumventing of this. 

I suppose that the other way of looking at this is that they simply build all cars the same - intuitively this would feel like some parts would be more expensive, but often manufacturing just one version of a part can be cheaper - even if it is a higher spec version - than making different versions of what is essentially the same part. It would also make the manufacturing process simpler. 

There seems to be an "unlimited" access charge, which presumably means that the features are unlocked for the life of the car. This being the case, is a fee of, say £500 to unlock the heated seats for life any different than the cost of an "option" @ £500 to install heated seats?

All that said, this is typical BMW, when in reality it should all just be standard spec and stop trying to make the cars look more affordable than they are/penny pinching.

I suspect that leasing these things may help keep P1D values down - which could be useful to the company car driver.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

2 hours ago, Colin P said:

There seems to be an "unlimited" access charge, which presumably means that the features are unlocked for the life of the car. This being the case, is a fee of, say £500 to unlock the heated seats for life any different than the cost of an "option" @ £500 to install heated seats?

I bet that is unlimited for the drivers ownership. They will want to fleece the next few owners.

I was thinking the same thing. Do all the 'options' cease to work on change of ownership?

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

The owner will need to be logged into the car to use the options and if they aren't, or are and haven't paid for them then they won't work. Same as a house, you don't get to use the gas unless you sign up and pay the bill. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, mdw said:

I bet that is unlimited for the drivers ownership. They will want to fleece the next few owners.

I recall Tesla getting a lot of flak because some features/options are disabled when the car changes ownership. So you do a testdrive to see if the autopilot or whatever works, you actually buy the car and it stops working...

Land Rover fitted a rear locking differential as standard to all Discovery 3/4 and Range Rover Sport (and probably later cars as well), but you had to pay for the full Terrain Response offroad package to have it activated. That was a single payment though, like any other option, and remained active for the life of the vehicle, regardless of ownership. And yes, it has been hacked by some. Problem is, it's no longer a simple matter of finding the right wire to power a relay or such, but there's usually a bunch of elektrickery needed to properly control the options and play nice with the rest of the car.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

12 hours ago, ramjet said:

I was thinking the same thing. Do all the 'options' cease to work on change of ownership?

"Unlimited" stated to be "[1Unlimited as long as the technical prerequisites are met for this vehicle"

No mention of "whilst vehicle is in current ownership" Does appear to be a one off payment...... currently.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.