free hit
counters
Driving in Europe with "UK" sticker - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Driving in Europe with "UK" sticker

Hi All,

Planning ahead - is there a 'legal minimum size' for a UK sticker to go on the back of a car?  If 'UK' appears on a number plate does it have to sit in a blue rectangle or can it just sit on the white plate?

Thx

Well I may have answerd my own question.  https://www.drive-france.com/products/uk-stickers-uk-number-plate-stickers/

go me! 🙂

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/general-advice

You currently need a UK sticker on your car if your number plate has any of these:

• The Euro symbol.
  • A national flag of England, Scotland or Wales.
  • Letters and numbers with no flag or identifier.
  • A Union flag with a GB marker

The UK sticker must be have black letters on a white, elliptical background. They must be at least 80mm high with a stroke width of 10mm.

• Like 1

We've just got back from France and I had a self cling one in the rear screen which I think is current requirements. You're welcome to pop me your address and I'll stick it in the post to you, saves putting it in the bin! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs! You are the best thank you!  But, in my exige i dont have a rear screen... will it self cling to my rear bumper?  Hate the thought of using adhesive.

• Gold FFM

This was sufficient when I went 2 weeks back. One on each number plate.

26D22642-FD0F-486E-9280-EA69FF123AD6.jpeg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

Can't exactly use a magnetic one either :(

Some petroleum jelly on the car before sticking on the UK sticker. Should hold well enough still and will peel off easily.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mayevora said:

This was sufficient when I went 2 weeks back. One on each number plate.

26D22642-FD0F-486E-9280-EA69FF123AD6.jpeg

Right.  Thats fine for france i believe but not for Spain.  Did you visit spain?

• Gold FFM

No just France.

I’m using the same next Friday going France/Belgium/Holland/Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Italy but not Spain. 😊👍

• Like 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

Yes. Very easily. Nice cheap eBay purchase😊👍

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I wouldn't worry too much about it, no one pays much attention to tourist cars, especially in summer. As long as you have 'UK' displayed somewhere and it looks decent (i.e. not a piece of paper tape with UK written on it) you'll be just fine. Most of people doing checks don't know the exact rules anyway, they just expect to see a sticker if there's nothing in the license plate.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

13 hours ago, Jcx said:

will it self cling to my rear bumper?

Sorry Joe, it came off the window in the heat once or twice so I'd give it about 3 seconds on a bumper in the wind once you're moving!! 

• Haha 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

With European police, it's not a problem until it's a problem to them.

Best ensure you have UK sticker on each number plate, hi viz jacket for each person, warning triangle, your original V5, MOT, insurance showing European cover and your passport with you at all times. 

Believe me, it's all fine until you are stopped (for no reason). You will need your documents and correct kit.

Justin

• Like 2

Thankfully, they seem to have given up on the requirement to carry spare bulbs for headlamps and indicators, as most modern cars you cannot change a bulb at the roadside or they are LED units.  

I do carry spare headlamps bulbs for Evora when in Europe but I really don't think it necessary. For my old bangers, I tend to try and have spares on board if on the continent.

Take your driving licence also. A must! You don't need an international one. And you don't need an insurance green card, that came back in for about a year but has been revoked in Brexit negotiations. 

Justin 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I certainly understand the reasoning to err on the cautious side, nothing wrong with that. Especially when documents are concerned!

But as for equipment, it's far less strict/clear. Officially, you still need to carry the spare bulb set (last time I checked the French rules) , but as you say on a lot of new cars you can't just replace them and even on many older ones (like some Renaults) it's all but impossible to do outside a workshop. On the other hand, the requirement to carry breath analysers has been dropped recently because in practice it was never checked.

I have to add that during all my travels (mainly to UK) I've only been stopped for checks in Russia (3 times in ca 8000km).
That resulted in:

- 1 fine, deserved, I had crossed a white line while trying to find my way
- 1 speeding fine I managed to get out off because I wasn't willing to pay cash and the cop didn't want to put anything in writing (to keep the money himself no doubt), so he let me off the hook and concentrated his efforts on the next foreign car
- 1 document check that I managed to get through by showing my friend's driver license as I was driving his car at the time and we had forgotten to swap documents...   

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.