free hit
counters
Renault gearchange problem (non Lotus) - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Renault gearchange problem (non Lotus)

• Gold FFM

A friend called me because she was no longer able to select 5th or 6th in her Renault Scenic. 1 to 4 and R seemed fine, and after some follow-up questions it sounded like the clutch was OK as well. So likely a problem with one of the selector cables, and I saw no real issue with letting her continue 'till I had time and space in the Workshop.

Yesterday she came over and sure enough I felt a hard stop when moving the gear lever to the far right trying to select 5th or 6th. So I dug in, removing the battery tray, ECU etc to get a clear view of the selector cables and translator. This is what I found:

2088618113_2022-07-1914_04_17.thumb.jpg.0194e8d40ee0826645ec658036a4e884.jpg

😄

Very glad I didn't have to open the gearbox, my worst fear was a broken selector shaft or such. And frankly the car isn't worth that kind of effort, but she does need a car and would have a hard time paying for another one to replace it.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Close, 2 pieces of spareribs. 😲 Firmly wedged between the translator and a gearbox bracket, preventing the lever from going to 5th or 6th. They were well done obviously, but still looked rather tasty. 🙂

• Confused 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

For those wondering how spareribs can make it into an engine compartment: we have a good population of critters, even close to the cities. Probably because there is so little countryside left, they have adapted to living close to humans with the inevitable interactions. We regularly see foxes in the streets, nice to watch but no fun if you have chickens.
Cars are typically targeted by marten. If you're unlucky, they'll chew through some wires (like the cable from the coil to the distributor on a Rover V8. Seriously, he could have chosen any of the other 8 cables on the distributor and the car would have started, just not that one!).
I've been lucky so far, I've only found presents, usually eggs hidden in the engine compartment. In this case spareribs, probably left overs from a neighbor's BBQ. Tucked away in a very unfortunate spot! I threw the offending piece of meat to the end of my yard, for my own critters. 🙂

• Haha 1