free hit
counters
FORGET THE COST.....Let's do it. - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

FORGET THE COST.....Let's do it.

Evening all.

As some may know I have a Yellow S1. About 18 months ago, chap calls me asking if he can buy it. Pas de chance, no way jose. It's not the best, but it's much loved and was wanted for 28 years. Anyway, I said I'd find him the same car. What an idiotic thing to say. I'm Sales Manager @ Bell & Colvill, and it's pretty easy finding a Blue Elise, or a Graphite Exige....but an S1 Esprit?

I found one and it was bought. That was December 2005. It's just come back from restoration, and having spoken to the Good Man Bibs, I thought I'd post some images.

The owner ( JEFF) is now a good mate of mine who lives in Florida. He wanted a EURO S1 withhout the detriment imposed to the styling purity placed upon the car by Fed Regs. He has not seen it yet either....

Here it is......

showroomesprit1016zc6.th.jpg

showroomesprit1013sk8.th.jpg

showroomesprit1015vt4.th.jpg

I'll add some details shots in a separate post, once I really get the hang of posting images.....

It's simply gorgeous. I'm here at work with a can of Stella, lights on, nobody on and Baccara on the CD just taking this car in. It will be at hethel with mine for a reunion, and I'm handing it over to it's new owner then.

Cheers,

Scott. ( in Esprit heaven.)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STUNNING.......nothing else i can say!!!!!

Remind me again... why is it people want an S1.... I rest my case m'lud

Gordon - I dunno.......there's just something about the S1.

I've been lucky enough to stumble across this:

hcturbo048jz4.th.jpg

which had 266 miles on the clock. I sold it to Japan on behalf of it's owner......

I could have had this ( which i nearly did ! )....

essex003vv4.th.jpg

had an S2 World champ, which i'd still want and had another S1 in Lagoon.

There's some thing about an Esprit, any of them, but something special to me about an early S1.....

Look forward to meeting you @ Hethel - heard you are there with the earliest of them all!

Pat - SJ Sportscars (credit) / Nick Fulcher (credit) / and yours truly found a set of new Wolfrace and did the detailing ( easy bit! )

Whare did you find the new Woolfraces Scott

Gordon..

A tooth fell out and I didn't want any money, so I asked the toof fairy for set of........

OK, EBAY! Weird listing - when i picked 'em up i could see that they had NEVER been fitted to a car before - all the inner faces were as new, but i had them redone as the lacquer had lifted.

They were machined...NOT polished. Machining retains the tiny little lathe lines so you can see the rainbow in them. You'll lose that effect with a polished rim.

Cheers,

Scott.

I have a spare set of wheels that i have been waiting to get refurbished and keep for shows etc ... who did the machining and what was the cost?

Have they been lacquered or left untreated?

:) <DROOL> :)

Hey Tony.... you dont have a yellow one ....yet do you ?? :respect:

I'm trying to keep my addiction under control! :respect:

However, is one turns up that is . . . . AAARRRGGHHH. . . . MUST . . . NOT . . . CAVE . . . IN . . TO . . . TEMPTATION

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I'm trying to keep my addiction under control! :P

However, is one turns up that is . . . . AAARRRGGHHH. . . . MUST . . . NOT . . . CAVE . . . IN . . TO . . . TEMPTATION

Go on... just one more... you know you want to Tony.

One more is not going to hurt is it... you deserve it :thumbsup:

I think that

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Just got back to Florida from an incredible weekend in Hethel, where my car was delivered to me by Roger Becker at the 40th Anniversary event! And, for my first drive in the car, the passenger was Hazel Chapman! What a weekend!

I need to thank Steve and the team at SJ Sportscars, as well as Nick and Steve Fulcher, for their expert work and craftsmanship. But most of all I need to thank Scott Walker, for his time, dedication, patience, astounding knowledge, and incredible enthusiasm. Without Scott, this project would not have happened.

Here are some photos of the restoration which took place over the past two years

Jeff

Esprit S1 #039

The restoration begins

Stripped down to the bare frame and each piece replaced or refurbished by SJ

Engine rebuild

The Fulchers retrim the interior in NOS fabric

Engine back in place

The completed car, back at Hethel for the 40th Anniversary event

Edited by jeff039

Hi Jeff, was nice to meet you at the factory. Your car is truely superb and I know that one of our S1 collectors Tony K(.....no not me, my evil arch namesake), based in the states would love to get his greasy paws on it!

Oh yes, welcome to the forum!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Welcome to LEF Jeff and to Esprit ownership. I saw your car at the weekend, a great job has been done and the car is a work of art, truly beautiful! :wallbash:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I was overjoyed to see your S1 in such mint original condition - especially the interior. You hold the keys to a national treasure! Please, please keep it that way.

Welcome to the forum and stay in touch.

Brendan

Edited by BC007

As I have already said on another thread

It was a real pleasure to see such skill and craftsmanship.

A truly incredible job.

Well done to all involved in the project.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Welcome to the forum, Jeff!

Beautiful car! :wallbash: It's really nice to see someone in the States with the kind of appreciation for S1s to do a top shelf restoration like this. I don't think an S1 can be any better or more legitimately restored than by the group of people you worked with. I really admire it in photos . . . would love to see it in person some day! . . . :realmad:

Cheers,

Tony K.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Yes this car is fabulous and makes an incredible impact when you see it. Reminds me of the very first time i saw a new one at Goodwood in 1976. Jaw dropping as a 13 year old kid. Marvellous and stunning. A gentle reminder to me as to why i so love this marque :wallbash:

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg