free hit
counters
Shake, rattle - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Shake, rattle

Now I've got Lottie back after 12 months in the workshops, I'm mentally listing things I need to do (or get done) to her in terms of 'fettles'.

I know I have a a/c return hose |(to the compressor) problem, but haven't had her on a lift to see if that's a big job to replace - and anyway, it'll be winter soon!

But the BIG issue with her is all her rattles and creaks. I know the glass roof is a major contributor - if it's dry this weekend I'll remove it completely and see what difference that makes. I've tried all sorts of things - silicone on the rubber lip, bathroom sealant in the tongue housings - but it's still rattling like mad. I think I need to find a source of rubber washers, as the ones on the clamp handles and tongue mounts are pretty perished, so the fixings aren't particularly tight.

I had the chassis/body bolts at the rear and through the firewall done recently, so don't think they're a problem. Which leaves the doors and hatches. Many of the roads here are pretty poor (like tarmac over dirt tracks) and so I'm guessing that a lot of the problems are the doors and hatches...has anyone replaced the rubber seals and got a good result? Also, should I adjust the door shuts (via the jamb striker plate) to pull the doors tighter, or does that make it worse?

Any advice gratefully received - I HATE rattles!

Edited to add: I may be wrong, but I think the rattles are all from the body - I had her rebushed recently, so I think the suspension is all pretty tight.

Edited by islandbloke

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

think I need to find a source of rubber washers, as the ones on the clamp handles and tongue mounts are pretty perished, so the fixings aren't particularly tight.

There is a pictorial guide to this on LEW's maintenace section.

If the new bushes were the poly type I personally find them too harsh after using them in the past, they seem to soften up eventually but it takes ages.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Stu

Drive it.

No - seriously. I had all sorts of irritating rattles and squeaks in mine when I got it (it had previously languished at Paul Matty's for 18 months), but after a few hundred miles of driving they all sort of went away.

I tightened up the sunroof (until now I can hardly open it), I put silicone grease on all the rubber seals, I lubricated everything - but no medicine worked better than a good dose of road.

Enjoy!

Ben

I'm trying to pile on the miles guys...but I'm still waiting for the bloody export slip from Swansea (now FIVE weeks and still waiting, and it apparently IS 'in the system') so am technically untaxed and illegal...not that it's stopping me much really!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Check the instrument pod bolts/screws, the glove box lid, the bonnet latches, heat shields, and all the usual suspected items. You must have a lot of time on your hands and it is a great undertaking.

I am impressed.

Impressed Calvin?? You wouldn't be if you could hear all the rattles. The road up to work is like a cobbled/pave street and I almost dread going up it!

I'll do the bits I'm reasonably competent to attempt myself (glovebox lid has NEVER latched properly, so will certainly have a play with it), but I'm convinced it's body rattles rather than mechanical bitz (not tapping or sharp metallic noises - just gentle clunks that 'sound' like scuttle shake). Feels like the chassis and running gear is all tight, but the doors and lids are rattling. Also, found today the bolt has fallen out of the passenger door checkstrap - so that could be rattling within the doorframe. Driver door window is rattling too - but at least I can guess how to fix that.

Grrrr - apart from anything it just confirms the preconceptions of people who say plastic cars aren't as taut as tin boxes - and I HATE that!

UPDATE. Removed the glass roof today and put it in the boot for the drive home. WHAT a difference!!!

I knew it was part of the problem - but I think it's actually 95% of the problem. Have just cleaned the slots and filled them with silicon sealant (with a greased piece of plastic in to create a slit for the tongues), and been round to the local car shop and bought some 'Quikpaks' of rubber grommets to hack around to see if I can beef up the metal fixings to the glass (wanted rubber washers, but they didn't have any).

Other main rattle is the driver door, so I'll have a go at resetting the striker plate in the door jamb tomorrow and see if that helps.