free hit
counters
A tale of 2 +2S's - Classic Elan - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

A tale of 2 +2S's

Escape

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Escape said:

Anything else I should check while I'm in there?

Obviously make sure the water pump bearing is 100%, you don't want to be taking the head & front cover off again in a few thousand miles because it's failed. :wallbash:

As for the non starting, as long as she's got fuel, air & a spark she'll run. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• Gold FFM

Yeah, I'll give the water pump a thorough check. Not the best design when it comes to maintenance!

As for fuel, air & spark, I know that's all she needs, but she didn't seem to agree...

• Haha 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I'd also gas flow the inlet ports, removing any step between the ports & the spacer that holds the rubber O rings. I followed Vizard's "Tuning twin cam Fords" on my Europa Special head which made a big improvement to performance :driving:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• Gold FFM

I don't doubt there are gains to be had, but I want to keep this rebuild as simple as possible. Especially because of time restraints as I have plenty of other projects waiting. I guess I could send the head to be properly looked at and gas flowed, but that will not only take time, I also don't know anyone local(ish) that I'd trust with the job. I will have a good look tonight though, to see if there are easy gains to be had. I've had good results porting the heads and intakes on a Rover V8 myself with a Dremel.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

In between overhauling a mate's Range Rover for his trip to Sweden, I've done some cleaning and have been building my parts list. The pistons cleaned up easily, much to my surprise. But once clean I got an even bigger surprise: pistons 1, 3 and 4 are clearly marked 'front' and '+.020', so first oversize. But piston 2 only has 'front'. The bores are all the same diameter and not oval (as far I can determine with simple measuring tools). I haven't measured the pistons yet, it was around midnight when I got them clean. Either way it seems very strange only 3 cilinders were bored and/or the pistons replaced...

I know the best way would be to have the whole block done properly, but as above I want to keep this a simple and quick(ish) rebuild. I'm not looking for ultimate performance, I just want to be able to use and enjoy the Elan again.

Someone did suggest I have a suitable replacement engine on the shelve, but he's mad (in a good way). It would be quite a challenge to try and fit another bank of 4 cilinders to an Elan. 😁 Not to mention a JPS should be kept original.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

All the parts arrived last week, but I've not really made progress.

With "All the 72s" not being open for the public I've changed my travel plans and will be going off roading instead. So more work on Land Rovers (and no doubt I'll return with a new to do list).

In a few weeks, when my mate has some time, we'll start putting the engine back together. And I'll post some more updates.

• Like 1