free hit
counters
rear brake pads pins - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

rear brake pads pins

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have used up half a can when I was trying yesterday which is now empty

I have ordered more releasing spray cans and I can try and spray them and leave it over nite

I've always used PlusGas, it's very good! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

You have to hit them pretty hard.  Fortunately the fact that they are recessed means that all of the force on is directed onto the pin (unlike Brembos, where the drift slips).

If they are still frozen solid after you’ve thrown 2 cans of plus gas on them, then they can be cut across the centre. I have previously use a dremel type tool and basically make two cuts and take a small piece out of the centre.  That way the force on the hammer (I use a club hammer) only needs to crack the grip on one contact point as opposed to both.  

don’t cut them too far back though as you won’t be able to punch through to the back half of the pin. 

plus if you are using a lot of penetrating fluid make sure you put some cardboard / rags down first.  Its deceptively messy!

Any luck Troy?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I took my calipers off and cut my pins in half.  One end came out easily and the other end could then be wiggled about to free it. I think it's the split spring collet on the end of the pin that siezes to the caliper so you could also try working on that with a flat screwdriver.

All done

It definitely helps to have and use the plus gas spray can

I still had to cut them and wiggle them with mould grips and bash them out with thr punches

I would recommend to anyone planning to replace they're pads to get plus gas before starting the job

• Like 2