free hit
counters
Cooling fan - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cooling fan

Hello again everyone 

I have just driven my elite out of the garage for the first time ,I noticed there is only one cooling fan on it ,it is a 1980 elite and I thought it should have two fans on it 

comments please 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can't remember back to my first elite, but I recall both my A reg and C reg excels only had 1 fan.

My Lotus warranty covered half of the cost of replacing my 1 fan to the later 2 fan set up  on the C reg car as the originals were no longer available.

10 hours ago, hatters said:

Hello again everyone 

I have just driven my elite out of the garage for the first time ,I noticed there is only one cooling fan on it ,it is a 1980 elite and I thought it should have two fans on it 

comments please 

Does it have air con?

• Gold FFM

As above, I think cars without AC only have a single fan.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

The recent warm spell encouraged me to alter the wiring on my fans: I wasn't happy turning the engine off, and hence fans, while it was still very hot. The water would not have been circulating and I preferred to have a system where the fans will continue to run after the ignition is switched off, controlled by the thermostat. So the fan relays are fed via a permanent 12v now. A lot of cars already do this. I also wanted the override switch I fitted to be active only while the ignition was 'on' to prevent it being accidentally left on and running the battery down. This meant another relay but worth it.

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, Denis247 said:

The recent warm spell encouraged me to alter the wiring on my fans: I wasn't happy turning the engine off, and hence fans, while it was still very hot. The water would not have been circulating and I preferred to have a system where the fans will continue to run after the ignition is switched off, controlled by the thermostat. So the fan relays are fed via a permanent 12v now. A lot of cars already do this. I also wanted the override switch I fitted to be active only while the ignition was 'on' to prevent it being accidentally left on and running the battery down. This meant another relay but worth it.

I'm not convinced keeping the fan running after the engine is switched off will do much to bring the temperature down. The coolant in the radiator will quickly cool down, but with little or no circulation the engine could remain hot. Which is one of the reasons I fitted a manual override in my Esprit and Excel (and plan to do the same in the Jag and Range). Like @williamtherebel I turn the fans on manually when caught in traffic, especially if it's near my destination, so the engine gets a chance to cool a bit before being parked.

As for the relays, you don't need a second relay, just feed the override switch from the ignition and the Otter switch from permanent 12V. Assuming you're not using relays switched to ground.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

My 78 Eclat without aircon came to me with one fan, on advice from Mike Taylor I fitted two modern fans and they seem to be able to keep the temperature under control under most circumstances 

• Gold FFM

If the engine is running properly and the cooling system is in good condition, one fan should do just fine. When coming back from Lotus in the Peak we got stuck at the Dartford crossing with the Excel for hours in around 30°C. The single fan kept temperature steady, as it had done all weekend long, but it was running more often. So yes, 2 fans will be better and will give you more leeway should something go wrong, but it's not really necessary.

• Like 1