free hit
counters
Soundproofing - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Soundproofing

For those of you with S4's that aren't GT3s, do you have sound soundproofing directly under the seat? I assumed I wouldn't find any soundproofing at all on my car as I read it was deleted for the GT3 to save weight but it actually has quite a lot in the footwells and on the bulkhead. The only place it doesn't have any is directly under the seat. 🤔

Shaun

20221009_113515.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Mine has sound-proofing between the seat runners.

Hhmmm, I may well add some while I've got the seats and carpet out then, I can't see such a small area of soundproofing making any difference to the dynamics of the car but it may slightly reduce road noise 

Thanks @Chillidoggy

• Gold FFM

As @Steve V8said in this thread:

"only the front section of the footwells has sound proofing mats, there is none  directly beneath the seats S4 onwards." 

(though as Ian said above, he has some between the seat runners?)

It's the horsehair type matting. 

At the risk of being a pedant, if you check the Lotus Parts Manual, Section 16.01A, the under seat insulation is listed as being 'foam'. I replaced mine with NoiseKiller, but as I never took any dBA readings before or after, I can't say whether it made any difference.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

On 13/10/2022 at 15:02, Steve V8 said:

I've not seen soundproofing under the seats on any post 1994 cars.

If you're going to put soundproofing there make sure its between the raised areas or you may hamper seat movement. 

20220507_130847_03.thumb.jpg.65e1d0f1ad288c9509104b63105deb55.jpg

Yes, I was wondering if the lack of space between the seat bottom and floor was the reason there is no sound proofing there! I guess that my particular GT3 must have had the soundproofing optioned back in as under the seat appears to be the only place it doesn't have any.  Might trial fit some under the seat and see what happens. 

Thanks for the clarification @Steve V8👍

Edited by shaunw
Spelling

I had some 'modern' soundproofing foam with a heat barrier left over from when I replaced the under bonnet insulation on my Excel. Just enough for the bare areas in the Esprit so I have trial fitted it, it's only 1 cm thick so shouldn't foul the seat.  Will it make any noticable difference? Who knows but if nothing else I'll probably get the placebo effect 😂.

Shaun

20221015_200551.jpg

Edited by shaunw
Add photo
  • Like 1