free hit
counters
Broken quarter panel - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Broken quarter panel

Went to see my dad in hospital this evening and on returning to the car the rear quarter light glass was shattered.  There’s no sign of an attempted break in and nothing of value visible but it is very random and so I can only imagine that some scumbag has had a go at it and was maybe disturbed.  

I’ve covered it in duck tape and will call around tomorrow for a replacement but my question here is whether it’s a diy job or one for the professionals.  Anyone had any experience replacing one and can offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.A47F749E-577D-431D-990E-A7328E27ECE7.thumb.jpeg.7f1f3e818de184fd06323373cf76616c.jpeg

• Sad 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I believe replacing the quarter panel windows requires removing the rear clam. Or at the very minimum, lifting the leading edge of the rear clam up so that the glass can seat beneath it. So yes, scumbag indeed (it appears the impact was near the lower right edge in your photo).

image.thumb.png.182aafaeb6dfb699ac701e2b7aeb559e.pngimage.thumb.png.091169e7d04d8f5dd67c452f213acd2a.png

• Thanks 1

When I spoke to SWLC about possibly changing my cf rear  window 'glass' to real glass (to make it lighter inside and easier to see out) they said the clam had to be moved out a bit - so seemed like quite a lot of work.

Certainly not the thing your local auto glass fitter would have much (any) experience of. 

Did you see if there was any CCTV covering the area you parked in, hospital car parks seem to be the most dangerous places to park.

You sure this is not a stone flicked up from a passing vehicle out on the road 🤔  as I've had this happen on a previous car, I would have thought that if someone would have smashed it deliberately the whole glass would have been put through.

Hope you get it sorted soon . 

2 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Part way thru GT430 build they changed from CF to glass.

So you want to de-pimp your ride Keith 🤣

1 hour ago, NAC63 said:

You sure this is not a stone flicked up from a passing vehicle out on the road 🤔  as I've had this happen on a previous car, I would have thought that if someone would have smashed it deliberately the whole glass would have been put through.

Hope you get it sorted soon . 

It could be a cretinous NED with one of those toffee hammer/break the glass in case of accident gadgets. Too high for stone damage I would have thought? Anyway, it was static and parked up at a hospital.

Edited by Rambo
Sp.

I’m sure the hospital have CCTV etc but in my experience they’ll only release it to police with a crime number.  It won’t help fix it either way unfortunately.

I was parked well out of the way against another car so the stone theory can’t be unless it happened whilst I was driving and I didn’t notice - but I doubt it as bits of glass would have become dislodged.  

Conclusion is that it must have been someone looking just to shatter it. Otherwise they would have smashed it in the middle rather than on the door jamb edge.  I have no enemies and until this last couple of weeks never go to Hounslow. So it is just some malicious person who probably has an inkling of the trouble it will cause - otherwise why not just put through the door window?

Now I’m waiting for Lotus to get back to me next week to see what availability is like for the part.  Seems that they are not shelf stock.  Then I’ll see about how I go about getting it repaired and likely costs - it definitely isn’t one for a mobile glass fitter and I’m really loath to make an insurance claim. 

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Part way thru GT430 build they changed from CF to glass.

They ran out of the Carbon Fibre panels that they first used on the Sport410?

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I was told they had to change them, so I assumed it was not just a 'what we have knocking around in stock'  or not issue issue,

• Gold FFM

Interesting given they had used them on the Sport 410 and GT410's too. Does sound more like a supply issue to me.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The change was made as people were finding it very tricky to view oncoming traffic at angled junctions.

It's a very basic, flat piece of carbon fibre, it's very unlikely to be a supply issue. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

2 minutes ago, Bibs said:

The change was made as people were finding it very tricky to view oncoming traffic at angled junctions.

Yes one does....

Surely this should be covered on insurance under the "glass cover" section, with a zero or negligible excess (depending on policy) and no effect on NCD (regardless of complexity)?

I'd be getting some quotes and negotiating with my insurance company, if Autoglass or similar can't or won't do it.....

Yep, good point.  My excess would be almost £400 split between glass replacement charge and an extra charge for using a “non approved” repairer - I guess they knew!

Anyway I’ve had one insurance claim in the last 35 years and that was for a panoramic roof that got cracked on a motorway - so even though my NCD shouldn’t be affected - it’s still a claim and that is a last resort for me.

Edited by Phaeton91
Typo
  • Sad 1