free hit
counters
Sport 350 Tyres - Sport 350 Technical - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
peter_england99

Sport 350 Tyres

What tyres do you use on the Sport 350 (rears 295)? I've always purchased the Pirelli's, but was wondering what other people use and what they would recommend.

Regards,

Peter.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Everyone has their preference, and they're usually the same as they have fitted :thumbsup:

Most people say, I had xxx fitted and changed to yyy and they're a huge improvement. Thing is by the time the tread is down to the limit the tyre is so fatigued that's it going to be way down on performance anyway. So if you fitted another set of xxx, you'd also see a huge improvement. It's hard to give a subjective comparison unless you happen to be lucky enough to run two identical Esprits with different tyres!

Next month's evo (on sale in a couple of weeks) is supposed to have a big performance tyre test feature which will be interesting. Just hope they mean proper performance tyres, not just anything vaguely above budget/cheapo ones.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Neal,

That's a good point you are making there. Not easy to do a like for like comparison when comparing a new set verses a worn set.

Regards,

Peter.

Everyone has their preference, and they're usually the same as they have fitted :thumbsup:

Most people say, I had xxx fitted and changed to yyy and they're a huge improvement. Thing is by the time the tread is down to the limit the tyre is so fatigued that's it going to be way down on performance anyway. So if you fitted another set of xxx, you'd also see a huge improvement. It's hard to give a subjective comparison unless you happen to be lucky enough to run two identical Esprits with different tyres!

Next month's evo (on sale in a couple of weeks) is supposed to have a big performance tyre test feature which will be interesting. Just hope they mean proper performance tyres, not just anything vaguely above budget/cheapo ones.

Yeah, I read somewhere that even it you take a brand new treaded tyre and scrubbed off the treads, you wouldn't get nearly the same grip as an equivalent slick. You may not even get the same grip as if you left the treads on.

The carcass is designed to support the treads. Without them you still won't get the same contact patch as a slick. Also, without the treads you won't have the same stiffness across the contact patch. Finally (and probably most significantly) the treaded compound is harder - trying to run it as a slick and it won't heat up sufficently to work properly...

I've just changed some part worn tyres on a Mk2 Golf that were several years old (the car only does a few thousand miles a year) the new ones were the same make but an equivalent but updated pattern. The car now has masses of grip compared with before. The only real difference I can think is its, 'new' rubber and its nice and grippy... I can't really see that any small design changes can make the difference I feel... My conclusion is the old rubber (still with 4mm of tread) had just hardened and proved less grippy.

My local friendly Tyre fitter who grew up in the trade and inherited the business of his dad, and who I was at school with 30 years ago. Has lots of experience or club motor sports track day people and especially motor bike racing.

I asked him about the front tyres on the Esprit which are part worn and about 5 years old with regard to a track day. He said he could put a new pair on and I would have loads of grip but probably destroy them If I drove the car properly and did a hard use track day. The treads being new are deeply groved and can be moved about and possibly ripped of the carcase.

On the other had I could use the existing tyres (which are still easily road legal) and live with the hardened rubber and relative lack of grip. Then put new tyres on - this was his recommendation.

Jeff

(Rich racing cycists - Push bikes not motor. Have traditionally bought tyres a season or two before they are needed and stored them. The rubber is said to mature and harden and result in much less cuts and punctures. After 30 years of bike racing I can confirm it does work. Grip isn't the critical issue in bike racing but a puncture can always mean a DNF - Did Not Finish).

PPs. I have a 1972 Midget that I rebuilt in 1984 and I've only done about 10k in since.... I can still see the Michelin men in the tread.. Hmm just think of the grip improvement if I change them....

Edited by jeff_hooper

I asked him about the front tyres on the Esprit which are part worn and about 5 years old with regard to a track day. He said he could put a new pair on and I would have loads of grip but probably destroy them If I drove the car properly and did a hard use track day. The treads being new are deeply groved and can be moved about and possibly ripped of the carcase.

Yeah, in a way new tyres are like brade pads. Although they don't need bedding in in the sense of matching the new pad surfaces to the discs, heat cycling them progressing more each time before you start going all out around the track will season the rubber and reduce it shredding.

In any case until you get a feel for how the car handles on the track, it's probably better to be on less grippy rubber. You'll learn more about where the limits are and how the car reacts on the edge. And if you do have a spin while tiptoeing around, it'll probably be a relatively minor affair. If you're going banzai around on new rubber without knowing what to do on the limit, you're likely to end up well into the scenary or worse the armco :lol:

Edited by neal

Peter

I have Toyo To1 R's on my 350. It had Pirellis when I bought it but given it had had a minor shunt I replaced all 4 .

SWLC did me an amazing deal.I think the TO1 R's are a softish compound.The car feels good and I can recommend them.

I've done about 4,000 miles and they are 75% worn on the rear ,20% on the front.I dont drive too hard.Maybe other makes would last longer but these have been good.

Rich

Anyone tried Toyo Proxies RA1's on their 350 (dot performance tire)? I see they do a 275 which would fit a 10inch rim nice for the rears. But only thing am worried about is aqua planing in the wet. Have had them on the 89 Turbo and adored them but not a good comparison to the V8 wider sizes.

This car will only do <5000km per year so tread wear is not an issue.

350.gifNo.23

Having the wheels refurbished on the Sport 350 at the moment and I had in the back of my mind that the tyre were a bit wooden and maybe ageing. Looking back through some posts I see one of the previous owners had the tyres replaced only a short while (less than 2 years) ago but I got the garage to check the dates on the tyres and they are 2002 and 2003. Rather than have the old tyres put back on (they have tons of tread) and an new set fitted later with the risk of damaging the rims, I need to fit new tyres. Fitted are 285/35 18 97Y rear and 235/40 17 90Y on the front. I understand the 350 should have 295 rears so what are peoples experience changing from 295 to 285 and which is better? also thinking of Toyo Proxes T1R?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

You can change the width 10mm either way no problem. I've the same size wheels on my car but have 295 width on the rear which made them easier to find and adds a touch of rim protection. At a 35 profile they're stiff enough to no worry about the change in size. Michelin Pilot Sport 2 all round on mine, not cheap but the best tyres I've ever put on a car by a long shot. I got through a pair of Proxes on the rear on mine in 6 months, great tyres but wear very, very quickly.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks guys. I have called my tyre garage and they are looking into the availability/costs of the Pilot Sport 2 tyres. Don't like the sound of replacing the Toyos soon.

Trevor.

Heard back from the garage and the Michelin's are £1042 for set and the Toyo T1R's £780 so £262 difference. Worth It?

Trevor.

mytyres.co.uk are £879 for all 4 in PS2, all in stock mate. Do I get half the saving in beer?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The way you drive Bibs I didn't think your tyres are ever in contact with the road so how come you wore a pair out in 6months

To take off, one needs to accelerate.

You're going to come out in an Esprit with me soon Mike, I'll show you what they can do! :D

Evora NA

I don't have a sport 350, but I do have a V8 that had Toyo t1's when I purchased it.. Back then I was trying to figuar out an odd sort of lifting feeling I was experiencing when I coming out of corners. I sorta come to the conclusion it might just be the nature of the early V8 suspension. However, I knew I wanted to get away from the T1's so read about tires for months. I was leaning heavely towards PS'2 but was bothered by not being able to reverse them on the rims, given neg camber issues. A Subaru "tuner " friend, told me to check out Nitto NT05's. I ended up purchasing a set for about one half the price of PS2's. So far inner edge tire ware hasen't been a problem. I'm sure I read someware the tires are desiged to compensate for high neg,camber suspensions. Anyway they can be turned around on the rims. Granted they are a W rated tire and probable last half as long as michelins. They don't start with a lot of tread when new: 7.2 - 32's of an inch! Plus Nitto is Toyo or more correctly Toyo is Nitto ( I've heard the largest tire mfg'er in the world). They do come in all the right sizes including 295 - 18's. I probably won't get more than about 6 or 7 thousand miles out of them, But are they worth it? To quote somebody "HELL YES" these tires are fast, and the uneasy feeling powering out of corners is no more.. Ps not taking anything away from michelin, they are on all my other cars ..To add some more perspective; 25 years ago Michelin radial heavy duty truck tire became available in the Us. They were so far superior to the tires we had been using we'd say they were better than sliced bread. These NT05's are that much better than the t1's, but I can't compare to PS2's as I've not owned a set... also I wouldn't consider T1's crappy tires. I tracked my car with them, actually they are pretty amazing. They were very predictable at the edge and a lot of fun, but the NT 05's are so sweet.

Can they be reversed, the tread looks directional to me?

nt05.jpg

Nice looking tyre though, if that's your thing! :)

Evora NA

Decided on tyres and ordered the Michelin PS 2's. Paid more but the first time I go through a hedge backwards I won't be able to blame the tyres. The rears I found on Ebay at a great price and am a little sciptical about them because they were so cheap but we will see what turns up. Item number: 300471187671. Can always send them back. And the fronts are £186 each fitted inclusive from Blackboots who are refurbimg the wheels and will fit the tyres. More expensive than mytyres but worth it to do business with someone local.

Trevor.

Nitto NT05's. Granted they are a W rated tire

V8 Esprits should be on Z rated tyres. Actually Esprits since the 1989 SE should be on Z rated tyres.

Check the dates when they arrive, they'll have 3 digits in a rounded corner box which are week/year ie 058 is 5th week 2008. Tyres should have a 6 year shelf life.

Evora NA

Check the dates when they arrive, they'll have 3 digits in a rounded corner box which are week/year ie 058 is 5th week 2008. Tyres should have a 6 year shelf life.

Bibs,

Thats what I meant by sceptical and would have checked the dates when they arrive. If they are old they won't be going on the car and I will have to pay up for a set at Blackboots.

Trevor.

Nitto NT05 are directional. However, since they have the same tread pattern on inside and out, after reversing on rims they must be placed on opposite side of car. Would agree probably not the best choice as a daily driver tire. Also bit more harsh on rough roads, Probably best discribed a street/track weekender tire. Strange as it may seem my wife really likes them. They do make the car feel very stable when cornering which seems to have equated into enough courage for her to try a little corner carving.. My saying "step on it" every five seconds seems to help also.

V8 Esprits should be on Z rated tyres. Actually Esprits since the 1989 SE should be on Z rated tyres.

W and Y ratings were added much later than the Esprit SE.

Z now stands for over 149mph

W is 168mph

(W) is over 168mph

Y is 186mph

(Y) is over 186mph

The top speed of an Esprit V8 is 169mph, so a W should do fine...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/airpress_loadadj_Wspeed.jsp

For W-Speed Rated Tires

Vehicle

Top Speed Required Tire

Pressure Increase Tire Load Capacity

% of Branded Maximum W-Speed Rated Tire

35 psi O.E. Example

mph km/h psi bar % of value branded on sidewall psi lbs.

118 190 0 0 100% 35.0 1000

124 200 1.5 0.1 100% 36.5 1000

130 210 3.0 0.2 100% 38.0 1000

136 220 4.5 0.3 100% 39.5 1000

143 230 6.0 0.4 100% 41.0 1000

149 240 7.5 0.5 100% 42.5 1000

155 250 7.5 0.5 95% 42.5 950

161 260 7.5 0.5 90% 42.5 900

168 270 7.5 0.5 85% 42.5 850

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

The manufacturer recommends Z rated. Not just for their speed rating, but for their sidewall construction and differing performance attributes. Have a crash worthy of investigation with the incorrect spec of tyre fitted and you can expect awkward questions to be asked.