free hit
counters
Aerobat's S4 tune up - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Aerobat's S4 tune up

Aerobat's S4 has been slowly losing power and acting somewhat erratically (in terms of power output) and has been having some trouble getting it into his usual shop. So, Today, we took it out to my shop and began the process of getting it ready for the big fall cruise on the 27th of September. The fall cruise mainly consists of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, but it's going to be an awesome spectacle and a first class blast! I have noticed that the car only sporratically reaches higher boost. I know this is due to "overboost" but the "normal boost" should be higher than it has been. I also noticed quite a bit of mis-firing as it was warming up. There are a few other "little things" that need attention:

The BOV appears to leak occasionally under boost so we are going with the HKS SSQV BOV... I was going to make it recirculate, but I recently realized that i've been thinking that the computer uses MAF instead of MAP... so It can vent to atmosphere... This would be time for me to eat some crow -- woops... silly me

Sony Stereo not powering on... Hopefully this is an easy fix

Fuel vent hose leaking... so, I'll replace that

Carpet lining at the top of the passenger rear quater window is hanging down, and now that I've removed the fuel vent line... there's more carpet that will have to be glued back up into place.

Check plugs/gaps... These plugs were supposed to be replaced with NGK IRIDIUM but are still the old Champions -- These Champions were not properly torqued and one was showing a lean situation from blow-by. 2 of the plugs were actually quite loose and, interestingly enough, the 2 plugs that were loose had different temperature readings in that cylinder when I used my temp gun to check the cylinder temps before I pulled the plugs. I'll pick up some NGK's on monday

Fluid level checks

Chargecooler mounting bracket is broken so I'll have to fabricate something for that.

Air filter check

Blow out rad

Adjust throttle cable... done!

Fuel filter?? I've got to ask John if this was or was not done at his previous service...

As for the Wastegate, I've tried to check it and it appears to be showing evidence that it's not set properly, but my pressure guage is insufficient to properly assess and adjust. Time for a new one on monday

These 2 pictures show the Dial guage setup I used for adjusting the wastegate.

post-3007-1189386046.jpg

post-3007-1189386096.jpg

This shot shows the broke ground cable I found

post-3007-1189386304.jpg

This shot shows the spark plugs before I cleaned them up. Note the 3rd plug from the left... It has a white tip and it also appears to be covered in carbon from the explosions venting carbon all over it.

post-3007-1189386351.jpg

This last shot is just showing what stage I'm at right now.

post-3007-1189386404.jpg

It's so rare to see 2 red Esprits in one shop, show I couldn't resist showing some shots of both the cars together in my shop:

post-3007-1189386156.jpg

post-3007-1189386208.jpg

post-3007-1189386252.jpg

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a win - win opportunity for both of us!

I get to show off my 1994 S4, and get it ready for our fall hoon, and Mark gets to prove that he's the best Lotus guy in Western Canada!

Thanks Mark!

Eric: I think the problem with the mount is the fact that the chargecooler is double-sized.. so I'd like to make a better one anyway.

John: Your welcome!! And Thank-you for letting me work on such a beautiful machine!

As for the progress: I've adjusted the wastegate now.. The rod was kind of sticky so I lubed it up in order to get accurate readings. Turned out the Wastegate was about 1.5 turns out. Took a long time to get it right because my system wasn't perfectly leak free and using the compressed air blow gun was interesting to hold the right pressure. I had to watch both guages almost simultaneously... quite exciting. After that I gapped the new NGK Iridium plugs to .9mm and installed them. That also let to some minor complication. The previous plugs, because they were loose, managed to damage the threads in the head. Normally I would try and run a tap into the head, but because the lotus engine sits at such an extreme angle, I didn't feel comfortable doing this due to the fact that all the shavings would fall into the cylinder and I would have an extremely difficult time getting them out. So I had to torque by feel because of the drag on the threads. I'm gonna try to run the plugs in and out a few times to see if I can loosen them up enough to torque with a torque wrench instead.

On a different note... I'm very glad we're doing this now. Because of the blackness of the number 2 plug, I suspect the fuel mixture was actually burning on it's way past the plug and could have started an engine fire. This may not have been actually possible... but it certainly seems plausible.

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Eric: I think the problem with the mount is the fact that the chargecooler is double-sized.. so I'd like to make a better one anyway.

Hi Mark,

actually, the BMW one is very strong.

you can check out the photo I uploaded in the "cross reference" post

sweet!... I'll check that out!

I partially installed John's new braided hoses for his chargecooler tonight and here's what it looks like:

post-3007-1189743742.jpg

Kindly ignore the puddle of coolant on the intake plenum

the connectors are actually just for appearance.... they are actually just effectively stick ons... but they look good! I could, I suppose, drill and tap the chargecooler and install proper fittings, but I'm not enthusiastic on drilling holes in a chargecooler that nice. This setup is strictly cosmetic.

Lookin good Mark! Let me know how you make out with the iridium plugs. I put some in my car and it knocked like 'bloody 'ell' ! Pulled em out and they were White! couldn't really explain why a 9 heat range NGK would run leaner than the standard 6's.

John,

Love those wheels! Car looks AWESOME!!!!!

Artie

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

what gap did you use artie???? plus... you should pm me with your number... i have a feeling that I may need your assistance on this or other projects...

John,

Love those wheels! Car looks AWESOME!!!!!

Artie

Thanks Artie ! I am also a big fan of everything you've done to your car.

I don't have any plans at this time for any more major mods, although you never know what Mark and I will come up with! I don't know if it shows well, but I did get the clear (front and) rear lenses from Daniel at Reproglas/ Radicast. I'm very happy with them. My rims are the OZ Crystal Titaniums, ordered from SJS, and my tires are the Goodyear Eagle F1's, GS-D3's. Maybe domestic for you, but I had to import them from the States. I'm very happy with both of them. I have all-new suspension, from PUK. We didn't go out of our way to lower the car, but my road clearance is definitely less. With the new rims, I don't need wheel spacers, and I love the way my wheel wells are filled now, and I love look without the wheel arch extensions.

Mark and I will be going on a major hoon the end of the month. It will be mostly Ferrari and Lambo's, but there will also be my S4, and a V8 along as well. Stay tuned, and we'll have some fun pictures to post by Oct. 1rst.

Mark,

You've got mail!

John,

Thanks! Well, it's taken me a year of upgrading and fixing just to get where you started! Guess that's what I get for buying a derelict in need of some love... I felt so bad for her I had to buy her and restore her to better than before! I don't know if I could find the OZ's for a reasonable price here stateside, I have considered having some similar wheels made to fit the car, but I think my wife would kill me if I dropped another 2K on wheels so soon! I too love the way those wheels fill the wheel well, nice and thick! She shows great and looks the part! Keep us posted on the progress and the Hoon!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Thanks Artie!!! I haven't had need to call yet... but I'm sure I will..

So, Here's what else I've found out:

Johns Chargecooler pump was not functioning at all... the reason -- that little ground strap was not hooked up and that was the ground for the pump! This would explain the odd power changes I had experienced in his car... sometimes the chargecooler was grounded and other times it wasn't. Gonna have to clean the k&n filter too.. Other than that.. I'm still quite concerned about my original datalog of the system showing .72 bar on the map sensor with the engine off.. Where we are... it should register about .98-.99. Hopefully my ecu reset will fix this... otherwise I'll need to be replacing his map and possibly baro sensors.

I'll take some pics here tonight I think.... and show them off tomorrow. --I made a new chargecooler mount that is brushed aluminum and rubber hose... looks quite nice I think...

forgot to get pics... but the K&N filter is sitting in my sink... soaking in the cleaning solution...

Tease! I am monkeying with my CC too! I am installing the Johnson pump I got instead of the WC pump I was running. I got everything hooked back up and seems to be working. I will button it all back together hopefully Wednesday night and have some time to see how quickly the new heat exchanger recovers! The johnson pump should flow more than the other according to the specs.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

There was a pump on ebay for a chevy 350 or something... it flows 37gpm!! that's crazy... If I could do something like that with my system, I wouldn't need to increase the size of my heat exchanger. I suspect that it's a sine function though... as flow increases and heat exchanger size remains constant.. at a certain point the amount of return starts to diminish and after that it should actually decrease -- the coefficient of friction within the unit should out-weigh the cooling effect of the heat exchanger..

There was a pump on ebay for a chevy 350 or something... it flows 37gpm!! that's crazy... If I could do something like that with my system, I wouldn't need to increase the size of my heat exchanger. I suspect that it's a sine function though... as flow increases and heat exchanger size remains constant.. at a certain point the amount of return starts to diminish and after that it should actually decrease -- the coefficient of friction within the unit should out-weigh the cooling effect of the heat exchanger..

At 37gpm you should be able to get some serious head pressure too. I've got my old heat exchanger still which does work, but needed more than 2psi of head pressure to get water to move thru it. I'll make you a super deal if you are interested in it. I know you've got other pots on the stove right now, but let me know if you want it. The exchanger is 32" long, 1" thick by 7 inches tall. It fits right on top of the A/C condenser without any need to move anything out of the way unless you have a big oil cooler up there. If thats the case, I relocated my oil cooler behind the rear passenger side tire under the battery.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Very Very Nice!!! Then I can use both heat exchangers... that should be sufficient to ensure cool temps. Pm me with a price.

Well... Tonight was a night of discovery... none of it good. What I found was that the water pump was wired in via the solenoid for the exhaust back pressure valve... Not only that... but the connection was not relayed and was also poor -- it only ran once in a while with the "right" wire angle/torsion/wiggling. So, effectively.. the chargecooler only operated when the engine was cold!! I can certainly see anyone making this mistake however. When I hook up a system that operates off of ignition power... I look for a solid power with the ignition switch on. This line would have been "hot" with the ignition on while it was in the shop, but would not have been once the engine was warm. So this led me to find a better power lead to hook my relay up to. The Vacuum pump looked like the best option, so I tested it and discovered that it was in-fact a great lead. Then... I decided to test the Vaccuum pump... It didn't work! So, I took the cover off and had a look inside to see what was wrong. It appeared that both the positive and negative leads were hooked up to the same terminal. I thought... I must be missing something... but, unfortunately, I was wrong. One lead, was actually hooked up to the wrong terminal! So, That explains why Johns brakes felt weird.

As for what I've gotten done today:

--partially installed the new fuel breather hose

--Installed the new SSQV BOV properly and hooked up vacuum lines etc..

--Fixed Vaccuum pump

--re-wired chargecooler pump with relay

--new ground strap installed

--Data-logged again and reset ecu

--cleaned and oiled filter (over the past few days)

--re-glued the carpeting back around the fuel hose

--re-installed drivers rear quater inside panel

I think that's all that I've done today...

I'm truly blessed and thankful to have Mark be able to restore and/ or improve on everything this car was meant to be! I'm the kind of guy who enjoys being able to own and drive this kind of car, but I don't have the knowledge/ skills/ tools/ ability/ aptitude/ patience to do what needs to be done.

Kudo's to Mark, and for his contributions to this forum! :rofl:

Now, I can't wait to drive her again, and find out how much better she is - before she gets put to bed for the winter.

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: now now.... compliments are abounding... Once it's done... without troubles... I'll feel confident in my work... I don't like to think I'm doing a good job untill it's done -- without problems or glitches. Perfection is never possible... and I really feel that I could easily have made the same mistakes.... I'm just a second set of eyes.

Mark,

Just a FYI, the vacuum pump on an S4 has nothing to do with the brake system. It only exists to provide a vacuum source for HVAC controls.

And a great place to pull power for the CC pump is the fuel pump relay. Using this relay ensures that you are only running the CC pump when you need to (engine running), not simply because you have the key on (possibly just using the radio). :rofl:

Mike

Clever plan! That's actually where I did it on mine... but I didn't do it on Johns... in retrospect... that would have been a better idea! Again.. I'm not perfect... just a second set of eyes! As for the vac pump.... I thought it was set up for the brakes... I understood that it was a replacement to the original mechanical Vac pump.The location for the mechanical vac pump was replaced by the powersteering pump and that's why there is now an electric one. My mechanical Vac pump is there for the brakes.... Though.. that all being said.. the vaccuum lines coming from the pump are rather small on the S4.. possibly not enough for the brakes, but his brakes are kind of weird in their vaccuum assist... I'll post as to wether or not it made a difference.

Edited by Mark T-C

Mark,

The S4 has the crap Delco ABS system, there is no vacuum involved. The weird feeling you get from the S4 brakes is just the fact that the brake booster and ABS system are the worst ever designed.

You may be able to improve the pedal feel with a good flush of the system. Get the manual or do some reading up on the proceedure for bleeding the S4, it's not your normal operation.