free hit
counters
New V8 Owner with questions? - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New V8 Owner with questions?

First; this is a great sight for info. My 1999 V8 has 10k on it and never had belts. Having them looked at this week, Does Lotus USA help on these belts if I'm not the original owner and the fact it's a '99? Was bought new in 2/00. It is going in for a clutch; Seems premature to me but it shudders from a dead stop and I smell burnt clutch. Anyone else replaced a clutch at these low of miles?? After I get over this and have full inspection; depending what all is needed and suggested; I was interested in the new round style tail lamps (02-04). Seen it done on a few other Esprits but don't know where they get the parts. Anyone have help on this??? ....Thanks for any help........

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the cambelt should be changed, 8 years old is most certainly not a good thing. In fact, I'm sure some people on here would recommend you not drive the car until it's done.

For the later lights, speak to Lotus or ideally your local main dealer. The parts are currently on sale,

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Lotus takes care of the first timing belt change. They do have some limits for time. Your most likely out of that range so you may have to pay for some of it.

Just tell your dealer Lotus is suppose to pay for it. See what they figure out. Just don't have them start the work till you get the details. If they come back with a price of more than $400 get back on the forum!

First; this is a great sight for info. My 1999 V8 has 10k on it and never had belts. Having them looked at this week, Does Lotus USA help on these belts if I'm not the original owner and the fact it's a '99? Was bought new in 2/00. It is going in for a clutch; Seems premature to me but it shudders from a dead stop and I smell burnt clutch. Anyone else replaced a clutch at these low of miles?? After I get over this and have full inspection; depending what all is needed and suggested; I was interested in the new round style tail lamps (02-04). Seen it done on a few other Esprits but don't know where they get the parts. Anyone have help on this??? ....Thanks for any help........

Just had mine done @ 7500 miles and seven years old. The belts looked great, no cracks, not shiney from slapping the covers. But, I'm glad

that I had them done as they had never been adjusted either. Lotus will pay to have them done within the 8 years from the in service date. Call Lotus and give them your VIN and they will confirm that you are entitled for a belt change. Replace the aux belt at the same time and you will be good to go another 18 months before a belt inspection. Lotus USA 1-800-245-6887 or 770-476-6540 Atlanta, ask for Andy Plant. You might ask Andy

who he recommends in your area as it is not a job that you want just any Lotus dealer to do.

Edited by outtamyway

Just had mine done @ 7500 miles and seven years old. The belts looked great, no cracks, not shiney from slapping the covers. But, I'm glad

that I had them done as they had never been adjusted either. Lotus will pay to have them done within the 8 years from the in service date. Call Lotus and give them your VIN and they will confirm that you are entitled for a belt change. Replace the aux belt at the same time and you will be good to go another 18 months before a belt inspection. Lotus USA 1-800-245-6887 or 770-476-6540 Atlanta, ask for Andy Plant. You might ask Andy

who he recommends in your area as it is not a job that you want just any Lotus dealer to do.

................................................................................

......................Thanks for the input. Andy no longer works for Lotus but the young woman I spoke with was very helpful. My car will get new belts since it is within the time frame.

Central Florida.....

Be careful selecting a service facility. I had mine done earlier this year and they got the timing wrong, bent 11 valves and the engine had to come out to repair it. weeks later I received my car back. While I have had no further trouble, I did not like the engine out/full disassembly and repair on a motor that had 3700 miles on it!

On the bright side I did take to opportunity to add Hyperflow cats while the engine was out even though they could have easily been added without the removal.

..... while the engine was out even though they could have easily been added without the removal.

whise words! :whistle:

and good example for that kind of humor needed as a Esprit driver....

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 3 months later...

Has anyone done a belt change on there own? I know you need a adj. tool but there must be a way around. I am new to Lotus but I like to do my own service and there are no dealers close to me. I now have a lift in my garage so many things are easier to get at.

as long as you not unscrew the pulleys, it is possible... .

I will do that in the next two years as i think the belt has done than around 80.000km in my car. The general change process is described in LEW techmod./maintenance stuff area. The 10

• 2 weeks later...

what would you expect from an educated German mechanic, and now unemployed full-time student .. B)

i guess you have heard the tales about me :)

Edited by G

than it must be an internal secret from the LCD gang... B)

we have occupied this forum now :ermm:

yes, I'm the one with that name in the yellow german forum... .

PS. there is also a user with your name !? :)

Great, that means we can swap for talking. As the Guy's and Girl's from LEF don't like much if we talk about our internals (or even more worst if we speak in german..)

There is a Canadian, Australian and even an US Section in the board. But we are just a small number from the LCD and other owners here in Germany. Jimmibondy ,Olli and some others from the LEF board are also in the group.

Yeaaah.....simultaneous posting! :D I guess Jimmibondy will join our evil plans