free hit
counters
Electric Chargecooler Pump vs uprated impellor - Page 3 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Electric Chargecooler Pump vs uprated impellor

• Gold FFM

And how did you develop such a big right hand?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my left hand really, I point with either hand just as well for professional reasons.

Troypic1-1.jpg

Point to note everyone, I removed the pump and replaced it with a blanking plate this afternoon, BY MYSELF :respect::police::respect:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Too complicated mate, imagine:

Will it be?

Option A: The original factory impellor that falls apart spawning

pages and pages of internet threads about 'how it falls apart'.

Option B: The uprated part that falls apart a bit quicker, but is a

different colour. which will make those 'this one falls apart too!'

threads a bit more interesting, for a while.

Option C: An electric pump. Ok it's not like those above (that car

hobbyists get to change every five minutes for the fun of it) but

it does the job, albeit leaving you with time on your hands.

:unworthy:

For my part i personally have not quite seen enough photographs

of shagged impellors and little bits of shitty plastic flushed from the

system, there still seems to be a case for the one thats difficult to

get to and will reward your efforts by falling to bits, again.

Also, my factory Chargecooler pump leaked coolant to the engine oil

through the O rings on its driveshaft. The Electric pump cannot do this

because it has no contact with the block, which is a bit daft, as that

leaves sundays empty, for, err, a drive?

:thumbsup:

My yellow one went in the bin, too. :thumbsup:

Graham

How long / many miles did yours last?

Was it in the same state as Bibs on removal? :unworthy:

Mine still appears to be working after approx 1,000 miles but wonder how long I might have left :thumbup:

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

These are widely used in marine engines for circulating cooling water. Certainly on my Yanmar, they were an annual service item and you always carried a new spare plus the last one you removed - This on an engine running at maybe 2000RPM. It seems to me that Lotus expected too much from them! If I had a chargecooler, I would probably choose to replace it annually.

cheers Steve

Lotus specified a 20,000 mile life expectancy on theirs, it's in the manual.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

How long / many miles did yours last?

Was it in the same state as Bibs on removal? :unworthy:

A couple of months. No idea on the mileage as unfortunately I don't make a record of such things. It wasn't completely fubared like Bibs', but there were one or two blades missing with the rest fractured at their base. Ultimately, it's function as a pump was useless though.

This is quite funny,.

We change oil every 6000 miles, no-one quibles about the A-service, some change oil as close to as often as they change their underpants. So why do we not just put chargecooler pump blade replacement as an annual cost of running these beasties or if that cash hurts you just swap for electric pump.

Mine got shagged because coolent level dropped too much. So nect year the elctric pump will be going on.

This seems like we have reached the no-brainer conclusion.

Paul you may like driving your cars but some like pulling them apart and restricting their driving mileage, its a personal choice.

It's a pain in the ass to get too, not the hardest but not an easy job. That's why isn't not changed more regularly and it is meant to last longer. An electric pump is a no brain answer; increased longevity, arguably better cooling and easier maintenance and in fact it's cheaper than a PUK impeller blade too!

Evora NA

Here's what my original Lotus CC pump shaft looked like...

ExfhZSqqn8cWbxSkKJJE6iYNPgTg27ZivhTfpNcX

And here is the replacement that I made, after a few years.

CNwLbXb8pUL-dqjbycJngdBCt2LaEXNufC3MzHz4

Here is the impeller after about 5000miles

ZPz0ocVcDQt4HhtL0H1BifKeqexETElIEjMtF9m5

AaCudKdZ5OC2VWV3JnNoTz5Oi1bpd_ARHKTv9fjM

When the new shaft was made, I also had to machine out the pump cavity, polished it, and had it nickel plated to provide a smooth surface for the impeller. The original cavity was rough from corrosion. Also nickel is a low surface energy material and will add lubricity.

However, it was not enough, and the impeller would only last a few 1000miles, so now I will have an electric pump.

Like this

5HbkBknWSKrcoOoBpWqDoqoM2nqN1CarZK-nMsaR

http://vulcangrey.lotuscolorado.com/galler...c_chargecooler/

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• 2 weeks later...

Terrible isn't it.

Anyway, the ebay pump is rubbish, don't get one. It's got the flow rate of tortoise wee! I'll have to wait for a Johnson, I was told it would be a month so got the one from ebay instead,

Evora NA

I have seen tortoises wee as well.

Send it back.

How do you know it's rubbish ?

It's very hard to tell if you dont have a flow indicator.

If you have a small amount of air in there the pump will froth/cavitate and it really wont work well at all.

Have you tried it in a bucket of splosh ? - put the suction side into the water, fill the pump from the top whilst running and it should launch the water out about 2-3 feet (mine does)

facebook = [email protected]

There is absolutely no air in the system and I've taken the chargecooler outlet off to be greeted by a 2 inch flow of water!

Evora NA

As I say try sticking it in a bucket to prove it - the main reason is in a closed loop system the pump's pressure side forces water into the suction side.

By taking off the pressure side connection the suction side has to draw up all that fluid (which is pretty heavy along those long pipes) on its own - PLUS it has to drag it through the chargecooler radiator which doesn't help.

Flow rates open circuit vs closed circuit are totally different - I seem to remember being underwhelmed with the Johnson pump too, I just plugged it in and checked my MAT was down and leave it be.

Have you driven the car with it fitting and running ?

That really is the proof of the pudding.

My GT2 runs the eBay pump and it's fine....also have you flushed the system out ? That horrible impeller could have blocked some of the tubing esp in the chargecooler matrix / radiator ? Just stick a hose on it in reverse flow. I did that on the GT2 as well, you wouldn't believe the rust and bullets that come out of it.

Just trying to help :)

Edited by Jonathan

Driven it and logged it, MAT is up to 60+ then a slow-ish drop down to 40-ish.

I flushed it both ways for over an hour, stacks of red junk came out, the PUK impellor. Also flushed it for an hour too with the rear raised up, no sign of any bubbles and the pump whirrs, it doesn't sound like it's bubbling. Your welcome to pop over and have a peek if you like?

Evora NA

Sounds as if it's not pumping at all - keep in mind more boost = more heat as well.

I just tested mine on the bench (it's off with the rest of the engine atm cus of the crack in the inlet manifold) the 13l a minute is about right, it drained a 4l bucket of in a comparable time - I only had 1ft of pipe on it and even then it was a job to bleed it with open hoses, once it was bled though it chucked water out about 3ft under pressure.

You could just send it back, I would, esp if you have a Johnson pump on order (which one ?)

The one I bought which was the top model and that is very powerful (so much i thought it might damage the system) - In contrast the top banaba johnson pump can throw the water about 8ft !!

The GT2 one is clearly not as good being 1/2 the price and a smaller motor but it's comparable to the normal mechanical pump imo.

Lower volume pumps are by nature harder to bleed - my computer runs a pump for the water cooler and it can take hours to get all the air out becuase of the flow rate - nice thing is I have clear pipes on the PC so I can see where the issues are - dont have that luxury on the car.

Another way you can try is to crack open the nut ontop of the chargecooler and flick the pump on and off for a few seconds that can work - it might weep out of the nut but that will drag the air with it.

Also you can squeezing the pipes to force the water / air around if there is any in there that can have the affect of filling the pumping chamber of water.

You can rotate the pump around and around aif yu haven't fixed it too firmly

If you dont send it back, I'd crack the nut on the chargecooler, see if it weeps and keep topping it up if necessary - the heating and cooling of the fluid can help shift air bubbles (ive bled brakes that way) - that should bleed the system fully over a day or so.

Hi All,

I see that the impellor on the picture is completely destroyed ...

Bibs, are you sure it is one from us ???

The one on your pic is red and the imepllors we have are plain yellow ... and we never had any other color than yellow !

I've never seen something like this happening to a PU (= Polyurethane) impellor.

Could you please tell me what you were doing with it ? ... maybe a barbecue ?

And could you please tell me where the red colour comes from ... ?

Cheers

Marcus

This is the uprated impeller from PUK Esprit.

Marcus

As per my PM...

I use Halfords Advanced Antifreeze, it's pink in colour hence the discolouration of the impeller I assume. I can assure you that the picture you see is the impeller you supplied.

Evora NA

Bibs,

I use Castrol antifreeze , its blue (BTW, according to the manual you should use that ! .... not Halfords whatever ... )

The impellor on my 90SE is still yellow and looks like on its first day ... its there for 6 years now ... and believe it or not, it has not turned into blue or green ;o)

Bibs, there is something evil going on in your Esprits c/cooler system , honestly ...

You have to find out what it is ... its not funny ! ... maybe some very dark forces ...

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus