free hit
counters
South West Convoy Plan - Lotus Factory '40 years of Production' Day - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

South West Convoy Plan

Hi all,

Just started to bounce around getting all excited now that Ian May has reminded me it's the factory open day the weekend after next :whistle: so thought it was time somebody shouted

Convoy!

Here's my suggestion based on last year's route and meet-up points - I'm assuming anyone who's travelling up is doing so on the Saturday and staying over, so I'm aiming to get us to the Wensum Valley for about 1pm to allow the golfers amongst us to tee-off at 4pm after some preparatory stretching exercises and Zen-like meditation: :rofl:

As before, I'm proposing M5, M4, M25, M11, A11 as the fastest route, and the timings are based on a steady 70mph with 15 mins for each stop.

So here goes:

05:45
Arrive Granada M5 Services, Exeter

Dan

mayesprit

06:00
Depart Granada M5 Services, Exeter

07:05
Arrive Gordano M5 Services, Bristol

BigSi

Simon350s

espritmania

07:20
Depart Gordano M5 Services, Bristol

08:15
Arrive Membury (East) M4 Services, Swindon

08:30
Depart Membury (East) M4 Services, Swindon

09:45
Arrive South Mimms M25 Services, London

10:00
Depart South Mimms M25 Services, London

10:40
Arrive Birchanger Green M11 Services, Bishop's Stordford

South East Convoy
:unsure:

11:00
Depart Birchanger Green M11 Services, Bishop's Stordford

12:00
Arrive Little Chef A11, Besthorpe

12:15
Depart Little Chef A11, Besthorpe

12:45
Arrive Wensum Valley Hotel

Anyone else is of course more than welcome - please reply if you're planning to join us so we know when & where to expect you :thumbsup:

Edited by Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dan ,I think Ian wanted to play golf,if we leave that late we will not be able to play??? Paul.

Hotel booked.I hope they sell Cider!!!

Dan ,I think Ian wanted to play golf,if we leave that late we will not be able to play??? Paul.

Hotel booked.I hope they sell Cider!!!

ah, good point, I think he was talking about a 4pm tee-time (or whatever they call it)... that would mean leaving three hours earlier to get him there for 3pm. Not a problem for me (would mean 8am departure from Exeter) but would be an early start for Peter... :thumbsup:

Ian, Peter - what do you reckon?

i dont mind either way iwas thinking of a round of golf but i wont be up to it really, im going to see if simon wants to stay here the night before to make things easier for leaving the sat morning.

Want to leave earlier still really. Rather get there with a couple of hours to spare before golf and no rush. Paul (espritmania) and Tony (Loteuk) are also teeing off with me at 3.57pm (back permitting!) so was planning on getting there early lunchtime.

Peter is coming from elsewhere not Cornwall.

Edited by mayesprit

I'm booked into that round too :whistle:

Thats now a complete four ball then :thumbsup:

Hmmm if your timings are now 5 hours earlier, you'll probably meet up with us NMEG boys on the A11.

We're aiming to be at the Wensum for lunch.

Keep 'em peeled

Graham.

Dan,

Sadly can't join in the convoy. I'm in the Peak District on Sunday, so will be heading down from there directly to the car park at the Norfolk fair ground. I'm also not going to be in the Esprit :thumbsup:

Hope to see you all at the event. Enjoy the golf and the social afterwards.

Let's hope that Ian makes it from his room to the bar this time.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter - no worries, look forward to seeing you there. I think I remember you mentioning this, but of course the old grey matter's not what it used to be :whistle:

Ian, Paul, Si - so what arrival time would suit? 1pm target would mean a 06:00 departure from Exeter and a 07:00 meet at Gordano, 08:00 ish at Membury, 10:00 at South Mimms, etc... I can do that if it's what's needed, but if you can work with a 2pm arrival target then that'd mean an extra hour in bed for everyone :thumbsup:

Graham - hold that thought, got any idea when you'll be hitting the M11/A11 end of the world according to current NMEG plans?

I supose it means I get a lye in now then. :thumbsup::unsure: OK lets do 6am Exeter Services then, and aim for a 1pm arrival in time for a :whistle:

Edited by mayesprit

im ok for an early start, i just have to speak with simon about it first, to behonest after achat with kelly i dont mind a round of golf, i may not be great and mey not last the course but its a bit of exercise and will do me good.

will update you when i have spoken to simon about things

Dan,

The NMEG boys will be leaving Norton Canes service station on the M6 Toll at 10.00am on the Saturday.

We'll then pick up the A14 until it joins the A11 just east of Newmarket.

I would hope that traffic permitting we'll be on the A11 at about the same time.

Don't think any of our team will have a passenger but we might be able to speak hands free as our respective journey's progress.

I've found Besthorpe on the map (don't know the cafe). We'll aim to be there at 12.15 if we can. Don't wait for us. You've got a game of golf planned.

Perhaps you could pm me your mobile number and I'll do likewise.

Cheers,

Graham.

Guys - I've edited the 1st post to show revised timings as discussed above :question:

Timings look good to me Dan. Might be better for Si and Si to meet us next Services on from Gordano otherwise coming back on themselves 10 miles?

Timings look good to me Dan. Might be better for Si and Si to meet us next Services on from Gordano otherwise coming back on themselves 10 miles?

Good point. I picked Gordano as a decent half-way for Paul (Espritmania - Weston Super Mare IIRC) and the South Wales Posse :question: to join the fun.

What do you reckon guys? Just didn't want to have too many stops as they just add time to the journey... but speak up if you want to change anything :rambo:

Dan,

Just checked the Little Thief web site and the A11 service station in Besthorpe/Attleborough is said to be southbound.

Is it a case of the A11 being single carriageway at that point and therefore easy to use the services no matter which direction you're traveling :)

Graham. :rant:

Dan,

Just checked the Little Thief web site and the A11 service station in Besthorpe/Attleborough is said to be southbound.

Is it a case of the A11 being single carriageway at that point and therefore easy to use the services no matter which direction you're traveling :)

Hi Graham - unless they've closed it recently, the website is wrong. It's a combined petrol station & Little Chef on the north/east bound section, with a similar arrangement on the opposite side of the road. From memory it's about 1 mile east of the Attleborough turning, 1/2 mile (if that) east of the Besthorpe turning:

post-216-1190378494.jpg

There's parking at the back of the petrol station (top strip of tarmac in the picture above) for about 20 cars, plus the Chef parking and the forecourt itself, so we should be OK for loitering until others arrive.

Edited by Dan

Dan,

If it's where I'm thinking of, it's dual there, but only a mile or two to the next junction to turn around and head back to it. But there is a northbound one mentioned as well. It's so close to home I have never used one there.

You could just go for Thickthorn services a few miles down the road at the A11 A47 junction.

Andy

Edited by andydclements

Nope it's fine. The Chef is closed but the car park is useable. Same place we met last year. Loads and Loads of parking behind the garage as well.