free hit
counters
S2 bumpers on an S3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I know the originality wallahs will quail at this one (I used to be one myself) but can the S1/2 bumpers be put on an S3 without much surgery? The S1/2 front bumpers give the car a perfect frontal aspect and it was part of the original design. In comparison the poor S3 ones look rather heavy.

I chose the S3 over another S2 as it had a much better, galvanised chassis, better suspension, better acceleration, superior engine cooling, the 912 engine, a less noisy cabin etc BUT the pull of the earlier shape made it a close contest because the S2 bumpers (particularly the front one) made the car more beautiful.

I'm told replacement S1 /2 bumpers are available and apart from having to extend/replace the rubbing strip on the front wings, does anyone know what difficulties someone wishing to swap front bumpers might encounter and has anyone managed it?

Thanks,

Si

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now this is really interesting me! I love the cleanness of the S1 and S2, so being able to remove those wraparound bumpers is something I would love to do. Please keep us updated on any prog

HI Simon,

Interesting idea. Is she back on the road yet?

This is what you'll need the front to look like to fit the S2 bumper...

DSCF1108.jpg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I think it's only an inch higher and should still be an improvement.

Has no one tried to swap an S3 front bumper for an S2?

Si

I've done it the other way round, if you see what I mean. My S2 came with S3 bumpers fitted by a previous owner. I eBayed them and have converted back to the original (more subtle) S2 ones. The only mod that had been done to fit the S3 bumpers on my car was that the flange where the black strip glues on had been locally ground down to allow the edge of the wrap-around sides of the bumpers to fit and a few holes drilled to bolt them on. So I expect that S2 bumpers could be fitted to your S3 with little difficulty but maybe some localised paint work.

Mike

Thanks everyone, so it seems apart from replacing the fibreglass ridge and strip where the two body halves join it is quite possible.

I've been watching the ebay bumpers too but both the front ones have a little damage.

The car is running again Pete but the stainless downpipe is touching the chassis rail and I can't think what to do - shim up the engine, heat and bend or buy an original downpipe. Maybe I'll start another thread for advice.

Thanks,

Si

Thanks everyone, so it seems apart from replacing the fibreglass ridge and strip where the two body halves join it is quite possible.

I've been watching the ebay bumpers too but both the front ones have a little damage.

The car is running again Pete but the stainless downpipe is touching the chassis rail and I can't think what to do - shim up the engine, heat and bend or buy an original downpipe. Maybe I'll start another thread for advice.

Thanks,

Si

Si,

I had the same manifold chassis rattle, a little heat, removal and refitting gave it enough room not to grind themselves into each other!

Mark

Edited by doynk2
  • 8 years later...

Though knowing that this is an old thread, I must agree with SI that the S1/2 front bumper give the car a perfect frontal aspect and it was part of the original design.

Always loved the design of the G-Esprit, and enjoy the drive of the much improced S3. But have as well found the wrap around bumper as a misfit to the design of these cars.

So my question is, if anyone have done this conversion, as I am tempted to do so if only minor changes to the body is required. I have to do some fiberglass reapir to my front fender anyway.

Lars

Lars,  Just looking at your car collection you own Turbo esprits ?  Are they actual turbos or is one a replica.  As the rear end of you car is totally different to an s3 or s2 for that matter.  So rules out the back end been done on your car without actually cutting the rear body of the car.  

Then you have the problem with the front of your car, as its a turbo the front valance comes out further and hangs of the bottom of the bumper, if you remoe the bumper the front valance will not fit properly, If you change the front valance to an s3 valance it would all work, but then your car will look all out of shape as the s3 valance does not go as low as the turbo, so your turbo sills will be low and front valance high. :ermm:  

Not sure if this will make any sense as its hard to explain without pictures, in a nut shell if you want s2 looks on proper turbo its a hell of a lot work and given the prices of turbo esprits these days i would not mess with them. sell it and purchase an s2.   If it was an s3 yes and the changes are reversable to a certain point. 

If you want to tone down the front bumper, I will get a picture of a bumper that came with ne of my cars, its a sort of s2/s3 bumper, slim line and does not wrap around the corners as much. 

A

Hi Dan

I have 2 Turbo Esprits. Both original. And you are right. I was, maybe, just hopping that there was an easyway around.

Turbos are great cars, and do not want to cut into the body with too many changes.

Looking forward to see mentioned bumpers.

Thanks, Lars