free hit
counters
No turbos - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I successfully repaired the starter on my 98 V8 Esprit. There was some clutch dust in the main output bearing that caused it to lock up. I sprayed some LPS in the bearing and worked it out. I operates almost like new and turns the car over faster than ever, and the best part, the squeal is gone.

I do however have another problem. Since doing the starter repair, my turbos no longer work. Other than that, the engine seams to run good. When I changed out the starter I disconnected the battery for a couple of days as I had time to finish the job. What could be the problem? I checked all the connections and reviewed the pictures I took and it looks like I made all the connections. Could this be a computer reset issue? Any ideas?

Scott

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More likely a boost pipe leak. Check your boost pipes which are the red small plastic pipes around your engine. They start off at the turbo, go to front bottom of engine then to a tee-piece. This is then one pipe that runs up the front right hand side of the engine bay area to your boost solenoid valve. I think you may have disturbed something or a pipe has come disconnected when you changed your starter motor.

I successfully repaired the starter on my 98 V8 Esprit. There was some clutch dust in the main output bearing that caused it to lock up. I sprayed some LPS in the bearing and worked it out. I operates almost like new and turns the car over faster than ever, and the best part, the squeal is gone.

I do however have another problem. Since doing the starter repair, my turbos no longer work. Other than that, the engine seams to run good. When I changed out the starter I disconnected the battery for a couple of days as I had time to finish the job. What could be the problem? I checked all the connections and reviewed the pictures I took and it looks like I made all the connections. Could this be a computer reset issue? Any ideas?

Scott

What do you mean - your turbos don

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

No, this is not liekly, because if the boost control pipes are leaky or just split or disconnected, you will get TOO MUCH boost ...

If there is no boost, I would suspect

- blocked cat(s)

- stuck open wastegate(s)

- faulty wastegate-solenoid

- not enough throttle opening

- faulty turbos

.... and so on

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

More likely a boost pipe leak. Check your boost pipes which are the red small plastic pipes around your engine. They start off at the turbo, go to front bottom of engine then to a tee-piece. This is then one pipe that runs up the front right hand side of the engine bay area to your boost solenoid valve. I think you may have disturbed something or a pipe has come disconnected when you changed your starter motor.
Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

When you fixed the starter (which is buried in the Vee) maybe you disturbed the hoses that go from the turbo-inlet-knees to the throttle body.

If there is a leak, you will get no boost.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

There doesn

Marcus

The turbo-inlet-knees and the throttle body, are connected by a short 2in dia and about 4in long hose, correct?

Here is a picture of the bottom of my intake plenum, is it the hose, not pictured but that connects the bottom two nipples, on either side of the exhaust pipe thing?

Scott

post-3863-1190044736.jpg

Turbo Inlet is the gray knees right and left of your covered Exhausgas recirculation pipe (lower part of the picture)

disconect the red pressure hose after solenoid/valve at right engine bay. pressure it up with compressed air (for example from your bike pump) if they move forwart (the wastegate actuators on both sides) and move back emidiatly, i would say they work.

did you forgot something, for example clear silicon pipe from charcoal fuel-vapur conection under the plenum. Or bypass airpump conections, also under the plenum... ?

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

The turbo-inlet-knees and the throttle body, are connected by a short 2in dia and about 4in long hose, correct?

I would double check these. One of the times I had my plenum off I managed to fold the back part of one of these inwards - it looked fine from the front, it wasn't until I removed the plenum again trying to work out what was up that I discovered it was this. The car ran more or less fine, was just a bit gutless. The plenum gasket would be another area I'd concentrate.

Edited by Zhastaph

Hey, can anyone smell fuel?????

I almost forgot it, that is if your talking about, in my case the blue hose on the left side/front as in the picture.

I am pretty sure that I felt a click when putting all the electrical connections under the plenum (three of them) but I may have not gotten the one that is connected to the exhaust gas pipe valve I think. I will probably have to dig back into under the plenum but was trying to avoid that again. I will try to get the wastegate actuators to move but I don't really think that is the problem since they worked before I removed the starter.

Scott

post-3863-1190055508.jpg

thiny blue hose is pressure signal from plenum, to level the fuelpressure opposit to the inlet pressure. Where is your short nipple in the plenum? Near to the fuelpressure regulator in fittet position...

Edited by G

Here is a picture of the front right side of the motor. Is the hose you speak of in here? There is a black line coming out from under the plenum that goes into a filter like connection that then goes into a somewhat clear line that exits out the left side of the engine compartment. Is that the one your talking about? if so, that is connected.

I will probably take the plenum out again tonight and see if there isn't a line or electrical connection that I didn't make or got damaged during the reassembly

I love this site, so may people willing to help you out when you need it. Thank you all in advance while I try to fix this problem.

Scott

post-3863-1190062508.jpg

Picture from lower to upper: the cap with words on it: oil filler cap, the gray/silver metall with valve cap: right fuel rail (inlet rom fuelpump),next thiny plastik in black that goes under the plenum is contakt to breather filter/charcoal evap line (the thing with the clear pipe from left engine compartement, the bigger pipe(rubber) with some that is called "jubilee clip" (dont know if it is the right english spelling..) semms to be brake assist or something, the thing attached tom outside (with rubber) can be a vacuum line? next (the big gray alloy ones) are the cooling outlet/inlet from thermostatik valve boddy, than you can see the return pipe from the fuel rail (left engine bank, cylinder 5-8) with a spring loadet valve boddy. In the back of that part (left side outwart) should be attached a small pipe that gives pressure from plenum to the spring. That provides right fuelpressure level for high and low boost, in addition to the parralel and single working fuelpumps, initiallised by the ECM.

please! can some one post the picture(plan) from workshop manual with all the pipes and hoseline attached to the engine (chapter EMM or so..)

Edited by G

Hi again,

When I asked you to check the boost pipes, I did also mean the whole turbo pipe to plenum as well, if you've had your plenum off.

Marcus, Alan Croft had a boost problem only last week. No boost or lets say it was only registering 0.10Bar. It turned out to be sheared a tee-piece on his boost pipe from dump valves tapped into the front of the plenum. Changed it and it's working fine now, full boost. So there must be some truth in it.

Iam sure Richard asked for a PDF diagram but his post has disappeared but here it is anyway.

V8boostpipediagram.jpg

V8PlenumP486.jpg

Dave Walters

Edited by superdavelotus

Last night I supplied pressure to the wastgate, before the T and they moved with little effort. I would like to supply power to the solenoid before the T and see if I can get them to work in the same manner. What type of power do I need to actuate it?

If a connection came disconnected under the plenum, say to the exhaust gas thing, middle back black thing or the one that the EGR pipe is connected to. Would that cause the no boost problem?

I still couldn

some guys have a pdf-file version, i use a book version. Whatch out the parts/speciallist sites in LEW/LEF.

This is worth the money, i dont know if it is legal but it is was/is always a great help for me!!

No, but you can start a seperate post. the book version is more than 1000 pages if you chose all chapters... .

Well, I still don't have Turbo's or what seams to be that. Over the weekend I completed that second intake plenum removal and inspection and nothing stood out. There were some wires that the tape looked a little old but there was still a connection. I retaped them and remounted the plenum and tested it Saturday. It sounds like the tubos maybe spinning up but no power boost. I had a thought last night, could the security system be causing the problem? I disconnected the battery about half way through the process of removing the plenum. Could the fact of disconnecting the power set off the security in a passive way? I don't have the remote to reset the security, the original owner had lost it. I was going to order one soon but just hadn

what "security" do you mean? Antitheft System?

If you can start and the engine is running, there isn't such a system working.

What is if you disconect the jubilee clips at the intake knees from the plenum and pull the rubber/silicon tubes to the side. Is there compressed air that flows out if you step on the gas/move the trottle? This means you have boost, but we can still not say how much it is... .

(thanks Lotus for redesigning the instrument paneel... :angry: )

can you read the pressure data with a OBD device/handheld tool /notebook or something other?

Locate other forum members in your area and ask if they can do it for you... .

@all: sorry for bad english! I do what i can , but i still need some edjucation :blush:

Edited by G

Scott,

Sorry to hear that and also sorry to say that, but you definitely have disturbed something (most likely some hose/line).

Please have a look at the entire intake path just after the turbos:

- turbo outlets to the knees

- knees to the throttle body

- IAC hoses under the intake manifold

- brake servo line (which is also attached to the manifold)

I'm sure that the turbos are working, but the pressure actually is excaping somewher into the atmosphere. Now you just have to find where the leak is .... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

IMHO, this has nothing to do with resetting the "security" or the ECU ...

Cheers

Marcus

Well, I still don't have Turbo's or what seams to be that. Over the weekend I completed that second intake plenum removal and inspection and nothing stood out. There were some wires that the tape looked a little old but there was still a connection. I retaped them and remounted the plenum and tested it Saturday. It sounds like the tubos maybe spinning up but no power boost. I had a thought last night, could the security system be causing the problem? I disconnected the battery about half way through the process of removing the plenum. Could the fact of disconnecting the power set off the security in a passive way? I don't have the remote to reset the security, the original owner had lost it. I was going to order one soon but just hadn
Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

One other thing. I was looking at all my posts on this subject and noticed that I didn't mention that I had made my own intake/plenum gaskets. They were made with some gasket material I got from the local auto parts store. When I made them, I put some gasket sealant on around the opening to each cylinder before I installed them and also let it setup before I put it on. Is there something special about the gasket that I don

wait a moment, please! You say "aplllying pressure to the line just after trottle body..."

I can force the wastgate open and closed by just applying pressure to the line just after the throttle body connection point, so the wastgates work.

Thanks again for all the help

Scott

Does this mean your wastegates open as soon as (pressured)air goes into the plenum!? Without any control via the ECM ? There should be a pressure sensor and a solenoid/valve fittet into the pressure line, right side of engine compartement (sensor behind cover, near ecm. The valve is locatet outside, front right side of engine bay) . This valve opens only if ECM gives a signal !

edit: i also use DIY gaskets, made from old cardboard. Fittet dry to prevent slipping during pressure force (some available liquid-sealings offer movement , instead to hold it in position...). No problems over the last years!

Edited by G

I have not tried to activate the Wastgate without the engine running, will tonight but when the car I just idling I can move the wastgate by simply applying pressure into the line. I do this by removing the hose from the throttle body and applying the pressure to the open red tube. The valve in the front right of the engine compartment is open. Also I have nothing other than that valve between the throttle body and the wastgate actuators.

Scott